WAVES

Balcony Or Not To Balcony?

They didn't have balconies when we started cruising.There were 3 inside cabins for every outside cabin and an outside cabin would have been 6 months wages. So we started cruising with inside or court cabins, I don't mind what cabin I am in if the difference is only a couple of hundred I prefer outside, often the difference has been over £1000 in this case i would prefer 2 cruises in inside cabins to one in a balcony cabin for the same money.

For various reasons we only manage one trip abroad each year whether it be a fortnight chilling out at a really good all inclusive in the sun or a cruise, if it's the cruise it has to be a balcony, love sitting out having a drink and reading a book whilst the wife takes possession of the bathroom, also it's great for a quiet read inthe afternoon complete with my own binoculars looking at passing traffic. An inside four square wall and total darkness with the lights off would send me crazy. And yes I'm aware I could possibly get two trips inside for the price of a balcony but that's my personal choice

I agree wIth OWT, its personal choice, if it was a cold climate cruise I really cant see the benefit, if its hot and you want peace and quiet then go for the balcony. I would never say there is a definite answer if you have the cash and fancy the luxury though, why not!!!

I'd rather have 2 holidays than one!!!!!!!

Guest Solent Richard

Hello,we have friends who agree with OWT about allmost two for one.

I dont agree though.Since we started cruising we have allways said if we cant afford a balcony we cant afford to cruise.

I have never agreed with this thought that you only change and sleep in a cabin.

There is nothing better than getting away from people enjoying themselves and having fun than retreating to the sanctum of your balcony.

Rodger.

Good morning Rodger.

You don't fancy being my 'Ghost Writer' do you?

The one that always amuses me is those that have booked an inside then hope and pray - and ask questions on cruise forums - as to the likelihood of an upgrade.

You couldn't make it up.

Guest Solent Richard

They didn't have balconies when we started cruising.There were 3 inside cabins for every outside cabin and an outside cabin would have been 6 months wages. So we started cruising with inside or court cabins, I don't mind what cabin I am in if the difference is only a couple of hundred I prefer outside, often the difference has been over £1000 in this case i would prefer 2 cruises in inside cabins to one in a balcony cabin for the same money.

Similarly here Seawitch. The old Cunard Countess was our first and choice never came into it.

We were quick to learn though and our next cruise was two legs of Oriana's world cruise.

Loved the natural light.

Factors to consider include the cost, the itinerary, the climate and the time of year.  Can you afford it and also, is it worth the money?  I could afford the extra cost, but would not be prepared to pay the extra £1,000 per person that some cruise lines demand for a balcony.  If you intend to go ashore every day, will you have sufficient hours of daylight to use your balcony?  In the tropics, the sun might rise at 6 am and start setting at 5 pm.  The weather is also relevant.  We used our balcony very sparingly on a cruise across the Indian Ocean from Bangkok to Cape Town, because it was so hot and humid that we were glad to retreat to our air-conditioned cabin.  And we were perfectly happy with our outside (non-balcony) cabin on a cruise from the UK to New York via Iceland and Greenland.  The icebergs were superb, but it was far too chilly for G&Ts at sunset.  Spring and Autumn in the Norwegian Fjords might by cool and misty.  Conversely, you would probably be glad to have a balcony, if your itinerary includes plenty of sea days.  Only you can decide.  However, I would opt for a balcony cabin in the Caribbean, if the extra cost is only £350.

I think anywhere you go that's nice & warm, the balcony is a real joy. You don't use it so much in Northern Europe, and you might need the extra money for trips in, for instance, St Petersburg.

However, those people who bust a gut to try & cruise each year, often save huge sums of money by non-balcony, inside cabins, making full use of everything that's free and going really carefully on the extras.

If you can afford it, I would think a balcony for the Caribbean would be wonderful. That last look at night, and going out in the morning before breakfast - just lovely.

If you are booking a cruise in an inside cabin, you might as well save your money and spend a couple of weeks in your garden shead. In our opinion, no balcony, no cruise. Just to be able to open the doors and get the fresh air, see the amazing "at sea" sunsets and a lot of "entering and leaving" port views is worth every penny ! post-1897-0-18797800-1413482321_thumb.jpg

One adjusts but overall unless you have a friend who has a large suite that you can visit and chat during day or such then for warmer climates a balcony is a bonus mainly for sea days and privacy as in a way to retreat to a quiet place.

The newer ships are mainly balcony anyhow so your chance of being upgraded from Outer Cabin / Oceanview is larger. The price becomes larger on older ships that have  a limited number of balconies or suites 

For a World Cruise , for sure the price can jump between Inner / Outside/ Balcony / Suites

If it is a cooler climate then in our case if the price was truly high we would settle for the Outside Cabin as at least I see the outside and the light .

Comes down to your comfort level..

going on venture to Caribbean in jan next year,cabin b715 balcony b deck, wonder if this is a good cabin,has anyone had this cabin ?,have been on this ship previously but had a deluxe .

going on venture to Caribbean in jan next year,cabin b715 balcony b deck, wonder if this is a good cabin,has anyone had this cabin ?,have been on this ship previously but had a deluxe .

I would choose a balcony. We spend very little on board anyway, the tours would be our main expense but these days we try and go for the cruises with more sea days.

We have had from inside to Superior De Luxe Balcony and we generally book inside cabins. The main reason is we can then do more cruises per year and I would rather be in an inside cabin than nothing at all. Everybody is different but we are never in our cabins from going for breakfast until late afternoon when we return for a shower and get ready for dinner. We did do a balcony cruise on Arcadia once and I worked out how much extra we paid for how much we used it and for us it wasnt worth it, we never have meals in our cabin or have room service.