WAVES

Balcony Or Not To Balcony?

One of the loveliest times we have had has been cruising down the Suez Canal.

The first time we were on the barren side with not much going on.

However the second time I made sure we were on the busy side and we sat on our balcony the whole way down, ordered  a light breakfast and then lunch through room service.

The balcony was well worth that extra - likewise with the Alaska cruise.

Surely it's all about what you can afford. All cabins do the same basic job. They provide beds to sleep in,bathrooms to keep you clean and in many cases have the same square footage. It also depends if you have many days at sea with scenery or if you are in port during the day and you are off the ship sight seeing. If a balcony is only a few ponds more then it is worth considering but if it is great deal more consider what else you could spend that money on during your cruise. It comes down to what you can afford and feel comfortable with.

2 hours ago, Jaczs said:

Hi George and welcome,

Azura is no different to any other ship with the sunbed situation as passengers tend to move them around to follow the sun however you can usually get by.

Some doors are automatic but not all and there are plenty of lifts to take you from deck to deck, it is only at very busy times the lifts get very crowded and it may take a few minutes to get one.

I have to disagree to some extent, for our first cruises we had balconies but realised that we just didn't use them enough to justify the cost. We were so busy doing all the things you want to be doing that we barely used the balcony. We went last year with friends and could only get an outside as we booked last minute and didn't notice the difference - except in price! So I think it really does depend on the sort of person you are, if you like to sit in private doing nothing for hours on end then go for a balcony, if you tend to be up and about doing stuff then save your money. 

No not a balcony for us. We much prefer a totally dark cabin, especially for sleeping. Not only that it depends where you are docked if you have an outside or balcony cabin, you could get the sun streaming in all day. We were once moved to an outside cabin due to plumbing issues with our inside cabin and found it got stifling, even with air con on its lowerst setting and leaving the curtains drawn. We asked to move back to an inside as it was a 35 night cruise. One must also bear in mind that in some ports, ships are docked parallel to each other which could result in privacy issues if you want to sit out on your balcony.

On 9 August 2015 at 8:09 PM, Waves49 said:

However the second time I made sure we were on the busy side and we sat on our balcony the whole way down, ordered  a light breakfast and then lunch through room service.

On 9 August 2015 at 8:09 PM, Waves49 said:

I realise this is an old post, but which side is the best please, port or starboard

A balcony is fabulous, I like to sit with a cuppa as the sun comes up and enjoy a drink or two before bedtime🥂 We tend to have a cabin port side and in midships

Edited by Annej

On ‎05‎/‎06‎/‎2014 at 1:54 PM, FIRECRACKER said:

I would definitely go for a balcony. Its nice to sit and have a pre-dinner glass of wine on there while your partner isgetting ready in the evening . Also if you order breakfast to your cabin , you can sit and eat it in peace instead of  going to the "bunfight" in the cafeteria !!

do you pay extra for room service or is it free ?

Having had an inside, outside and balcony cabin I would personally say that balcony cabins are the way to go.

On one cruise we sailed into Madeira at 5.30am, my wife woke me up and we stood on the balcony with a cup of tea watching the land get closer as the sun rose.

We spent all our spare time out on it and it was lovely to come back to the cabin at night and sit out there for 10 mins, listen to the waves and relax.

Well worth the extra pennies :-)