jaguar01

A Bigger Snob Than Me

Hello,when we were in St Peterburgh on the Eclipse my wife and I walked to end of dock to have a closer look at the Thomson Spirit.My wife has been trying to convince me for some time we should try a Thomson cruise,we have several friends who will not here a word said against them.

There is of course nothing worse than a working class snob,meaculpa.I will not be persuaded.

But I was well and truly usurpt by a rather plummy voiced lady who informed us she would not be seen dead on the Spirit," have you seen how small the lifeboats are ".I have to admit the size of the lifeboats has never been high on my priority when choosing a cruise.I think they were quite large on the Tit........ were they not.

Rodger.

Hello,when we were in St Peterburgh on the Eclipse my wife and I walked to end of dock to have a closer look at the Thomson Spirit.My wife has been trying to convince me for some time we should try a Thomson cruise,we have several friends who will not here a word said against them.

There is of course nothing worse than a working class snob,meaculpa.I will not be persuaded.

But I was well and truly usurpt by a rather plummy voiced lady who informed us she would not be seen dead on the Spirit," have you seen how small the lifeboats are ".I have to admit the size of the lifeboats has never been high on my priority when choosing a cruise.I think they were quite large on the Tit........ were they not.

Rodger.

Of all the reasons to avoid a Thomson cruise, the size of the lifeboats was not one I had considered!

When I was recently trying to find a very cheap deal to take a friend cruising for the first time (who is on a fairly limited budget) I did put my unfair preconceptions about Thomson aside and venture onto their website.  I found a rather competitive looking price on Island Escape which was all inclusive so would save money overall.  We could even get an outside cabin and direct flights from Scotland for the same price as the Royal Caribbean cruise I had already priced (and ultimately booked).

I watched a video tour, read a couple of reviews, and very quickly decided that the whole experience did not reconcile with what I would expect from a cruise.

For those who swear by Thomson - enjoy yourself!  It's not for me.

Here's the video for those interested.  If you're adverse to heavy breathing you might want to mute the sound.

I don't think its snobbery, I think it's down to Standards.

In all honesty, the few people that I have spoken to who have sailed with Thomson have said the entertainment onboard is better than the likes of P&O and the food is good too.

They are a 3 star, compared to P&O/RCCL 4 star etc. I still don't think I would go on one though, having experienced P&O and Celebrity, I think (assume) I would be disappointed.

Guest shilly3191

We have a number of friends who have sailed with P&O, Princess and Thomsons and they have all gone back to cruising with Thomsons as they preferred them to P&O and Princess.

Guest shilly3191

I don't think its snobbery, I think it's down to Standards.

In all honesty, the few people that I have spoken to who have sailed with Thomson have said the entertainment onboard is better than the likes of P&O and the food is good too.

They are a 3 star, compared to P&O/RCCL 4 star etc. I still don't think I would go on one though, having experienced P&O and Celebrity, I think (assume) I would be disappointed.

Sorry but dont take much notice of cruise companies, TA's or books that grade cruise ships as star rating it does encourage snobbery and say well I am  on a 4 star compared to your 3 star and after our recent cruise on Oriana certainly wouldnt put that at 4 star at best 3 star.

I don't think there's anything inherently wrong with Thomson.  They have a large, loyal following and if that's what you like then what right does anyone else have to stand in your way.

Anything that keeps the riffraff off of the better lines is OK in my book...  :P

(That was a joke before anyone jumps down my throat!)

Sorry but dont take much notice of cruise companies, TA's or books that grade cruise ships as star rating it does encourage snobbery and say well I am  on a 4 star compared to your 3 star and after our recent cruise on Oriana certainly wouldnt put that at 4 star at best 3 star.

I think star ratings are only useful as a very basic guide as to the quality and range of the facilities and the food.  I don't think it necessarily tells you what the experience will be like, as everyone likes something different.

Celebrity and Cunard are very well rated, but if you're a family looking for loads of activities like rock climbing and water slides then you're probably not going to have a good time!

Hi  I could understand (but not agree with) passengers form a luxury line being a snob but we are talking Celebrity here - don't the passengers realise they aren't on a "super special vacation" just a mainstream cruise ship.  I myself have sailed twice with Thomson's in the past and I enjoyed the experience mainly for the happy and helpful wait staff as well as sailing many more times on the upper premium and 6 star lines.  Remember even passengers traveling in the grandest suites on the QM2 and the like may be considered paupers by those who can afford to purchase and run private super yachts.

I have been on two Thomson cruises and four P & O cruises.  I think the service, food and entertainment is better on Thomson but the cabins were not when I went on the Celebration.  They have however refreshed this ship and it might be better now.  Last P & O cruise I went on was the Ventura Fly cruise this summer.  I hated the loud music round the pool and the entertainment in every bar.  Conversation was impossible.  This seemed to be paid for by cutting down on the comics and shows.  I was rather sad about that and would think twice before using  P&O again.

Our friends have done P&O, Cunard and Thomson. They still rate Thomson the highest for overall enjoyment of their holiday.

I have yet to try them but after a week of faceaches last time we went on P&O I am sorely tempted.

i think it also boils down to the small ship/large ship experience. my gran has travelled with Thomson, Cunard and NCL and she favours thomson for a fun friendly cruise and really rates the staff, entertainment and food, but then cunard for a quality relaxing cruise with great ports of call. i suppose it depends which sort of holiday you fancy!

Having done a few Thomson cruises, I would politely suggest that the Island Escape is not representative of their offering

The IE is a very basic , all inclusive , no frills cruise ship

the other 4 ships are better, for us the crew are first class, the food as good as PandO, though only been on 2 of their cruises, and the entertainment as good ,also

they are older smaller ships, but in many ways much more a traditional ship as opposed to the current crop of mega floating resorts

it is very much each to their own

Cruising is like any other holiday, it is about what you enjoy and your expectations. I have done three trips with Thomson, two of them on Spirit and in all honesty would not cruise on it again. Spirit is an old ship and in MHO needs a total refit. The vibration for which it and Celebration are renowned do nothing to enhance the ship. The entertainment I found very amateurish. When Roast Beef is on the menu and I ask how it is done I don't expect the waiter to answer 'In the oven' anymore than when asking for mustard expect to be presented with a plastic squeeze bottle as found in McDonalds. What was my third cruise with them?, it was in fact my first cruise back in the mid 90's and it hooked me on cruising. However many cruise lines later I have found others that again in MHO are far better in all respects. As I said at the start, it is all about what you enjoy and your expectations.

The Island Star was the first ship I sailed on and it was for the Inaugural. I found the food and entertainment to be great but even on its first voyage the ship looked very tired. I had nothing to compare it to back then but after sailing with 4* lines I wouldn't go back to Island or Thomson.

Guest Solent Richard

Rodger.

Good morning Rodger.

Well having met you on the Queen Mary 2 Forum and Fanzine cruise in September I can well understand what you are saying.

I like you, could easily tag myself as a 'working class snob' though I prefer to think that I, like you, have a certain lifestyle standard that I wish to maintain when I am cruising.  wink.png wink.png

A friend has recently returned from a Med cruise. She met a lady who complained that there were too many WCs on the cruise. When my friend replied that there could never be too many toilets she was told "I meant working class". Can you beat that for snobbery?

A friend has recently returned from a Med cruise. She met a lady who complained that there were too many WCs on the cruise. When my friend replied that there could never be too many toilets she was told "I meant working class". Can you beat that for snobbery?

In a word NOwink.png 

Funny woman... when a 'throne' is needed you do not debate its location . only glad you found one and did not have to wait in a line, with one's legs crossed

As a friend said we all breathe, bleed and recycle like anybody else.

A person with manners does not judge

Guest Solent Richard

Funny woman... when a 'throne' is needed you do not debate its location . only glad you found one and did not have to wait in a line, with one's legs crossed

As a friend said we all breathe, bleed and recycle like anybody else.

A person with manners does not judge

I like that Rob.

Funnily enough, having been around the cruising forums for a few years, almost every comment/example regarding this subject has been based on hearsay.

I just love playing the Devil's Advocate and am firmly of the impression that those that make these accusations themselves suffer to some degree of either insecurity or envy.

What makes this thread even funnier is that Rodger's OP was definitely tongue in cheek. I have cruised with him.

Having cruised with P and O. celebrity princess and Thomsons my wife and I both agree that Thomsons as an overall package is excellent.  From flights to transfered tips etc and increasingly drinks as well . food excellently though probably not so much choice as the big boys. Entertainment as good as any afloat. Staff top notch. The cabins are smaller but spotless. (We only sleep and change in ours) . also some excellent itinerary's. 

I think the ship has sailed on this topic as it is over two years old.

It's about time Forum Admin. closed down threads that are dead.

I have noticed a number of threads being resurrected years after their last post.

RayO