kellyohara

Formal Nights

As I've mentioned in another thread I am a big fan of the formal nights! my husband doesn't wear a suit for his job so I love that I get to see him all dressed up on holiday. I don't think he is as big a fan as i am though! unsure.png 

For me a large part of cruising is the tradition and glamour and formal nights form a part of that. Although NCL didnt have a formal night as such they still had a night where people could choose to dress up or not. Most people did so it obviously still has it's place!

There is a great diversity of dress codes over all the cruise lines.If you want casual go for example on NCL if you want very formal go Cunard.I prefer a mix of the 2 and sail regularly with RCI and CelebrityX.Why do people insist on trying to change the cruise lines dress codes instead of picking a cruise line appropriate to there needs.Its the dressing up and feeling special that keeps me going back for more cruises instead of a land based holiday.

Absolutely love formal nights! So nice to see all the ladies in cocktail dress and all the men looking swish in their Dinner Jackets. :)

I agree, cruising is the only holiday left that one can "dress for dinner". Indeed, when my wife and I first started to take holidays abroad in places like Spain and Italy in the mid 60s, one was expected to dress for dinner.

I agree, cruising is the only holiday left that one can "dress for dinner". Indeed, when my wife and I first started to take holidays abroad in places like Spain and Italy in the mid 60s, one was expected to dress for dinner.

Hi Spadger44,

In fairness there is dressing for dinner and dressing for dinner. As you say in the 60's males wore shirt and tie at dinner but never saw anyone in formal attire.

OWT

I love formal nights, it is part of the attraction of cruising, but I wish the rules were enforced. Twenty years or so ago, no dinner jacket,no formal dining. Now nobody seems to care if someone turns up in a sprts jacket

I need to ask a question but first want to state I love formal nights and dressing up. My question is, if we don't want to do the formal night and are happy to dress smartly and go into the buffet ie husband in trousers shirt and jacket, will we still be ok to go into the bars ? The cruise I am asking about is on the Queen Victoria. Just wondered if we would be limited to where we could go for a drink before and after dinner. Chances are we will go for the formal wear but wanted to know the rules just in case.