Sign in to follow this  
Ahoy

Mini Cruises - What Are Your Thoughts?

have you seen the prices at the minute for mini cruises with p&o?? they are fantastic. ive just booked on one on the oriana for the 6th november! £229 pp for 4 nights! there are some 2nights for 129pp and free upgrade to outside cabin. bargain!

Did the Azura mini cruise earlier and the stag and hen parties no problem.  I did find the attitude and service on board very poor.   I couldn't fault my cabin steward or the entertainment which was first class but in the main areas service was very very poor.   It was my first P&O cruise, having cruised with other cruise lines but not convinced I would want to go on a longer cruise with P&O.

I agree with a lot of the comments above. Mini cruises can be fun and quite lively with the hen/stag party aspect. There are some drawbacks. Unless you know the ship you can spend the cruise 'lost' especially if it is only a 2 nighter. The staff are rushed an so are maybe not as attentive as on a longer cruise. The biggest problem which tends to stop me going on more is that I am a single traveller and the 100% single supplement they add makes them too expensive.

gina1991

Members

35 posts

Cadet

Last active: Yesterday, 02:21 PM

have you seen the prices at the minute for mini cruises with p&o?? they are fantastic. ive just booked on one on the oriana for the 6th november! £229 pp for 4 nights! there are some 2nights for 129pp and free upgrade to outside cabin. bargain!

Perfect example £129pp for 2 nights but £258 for single person. That's not a real bargain

Single person fares can be a bug bear, I agree, Divemonster. But looking at it a different way, could you get a 2 night holiday in Amsterdam including flights, hotel with all inclusive food all day (including MDR quality dining), and a show every night for £258 ?

I think the two day ones are a bit of a rush but a four day is fairly relaxed and a five day feels like a week.

definatly agree, two days wouldnt really feel like a break for me.

Hi. We tried a mini cruise last January on Aurora for 4 nights to Amsterdam and Zebrugge. Cost £239 pp!! Absolutely superb value for money and this was in a balcony cabin as well!! Highly recommend this for a taster cruise or try contacting p and o for a ship visit which is good value for money and gives a great preview of the ship.

Hi. We tried a mini cruise last January on Aurora for 4 nights to Amsterdam and Zebrugge. Cost £239 pp!! Absolutely superb value for money and this was in a balcony cabin as well!! Highly recommend this for a taster cruise or try contacting p and o for a ship visit which is good value for money and gives a great preview of the ship.

I agree, these four night taster cruises are ideal for "dipping a toe in the water", but do not quite work as "regular cruise breaks" if you are traveling 200 miles plus to Southampton. This is a shame as many people have difficulty arranging standard length holidays, and short breaks often "tick a box".

I wouldn't want to go on a mini cruise. I really don't think you would get the feel of a 'regular' cruise. They seem to appeal to people living in the South for hen/stag parties and I wouldn't enjoy that at all. Although we enjoy long weekends away for a break it certainly wouldn't be on what the staff on the ship refer to as party cruises and most of them dislike them too.

I wouldn't want to go on a mini cruise. I really don't think you would get the feel of a 'regular' cruise. They seem to appeal to people living in the South for hen/stag parties and I wouldn't enjoy that at all. Although we enjoy long weekends away for a break it certainly wouldn't be on what the staff on the ship refer to as party cruises and most of them dislike them too.

There were no stag/hen parties on the one that we went on.

I enjoy them for what they are. A short break, a bit of "us" time for the Missus and me. We wouldn't want to leave the kids with my parents for a full week away or longer, so these are ideal breaks. If Anthem of the Seas wasn't doing a 3 nighter this October we would not have been able to sample her this year as we had two other longer cruises booked already. And the situation of driving 200 miles for a short break doesn't phase me as I drive for a living, so no big deal.