Sign in to follow this  
nelsal

Brittania

Yes, we are booked on her in July next year for the British Isles cruise. We have done most of the other cruises that go from Southampton and we don't fancy flying so this looked like a good one to try. Even though we have been to many of the places on this cruise I am looking forward to seeing them while relaxing on a ship and coach rather than belting around driving a car. Going on a new ship is a bonus.

No I don't think this ship will appeal to me at all. It looks like the seagoing alternative to a high rise hotel in Benidorm to me. In other words a floating cheap hotel. Small cabins small balconies sold at a cheap price. That seems the way P&O are going I'm afraid. Pity I really think P&O are losing their way. :(  

Yes for August 2015, we booked Britannia because it had the best itinerary for our needs and not because it was the new ship.

Regards

Bryn.

Sorry you won't catch me on this ship or the Ventura/Azura as they are far too big for me. I think they will all become too impersonal and I will not get a chance to chat to the crew and become their friends as I did this year as I've done on many past cruises with P&O on Oriana, Aurora and to a lesser extent on Arcadia and Oceana. 

Sorry you won't catch me on this ship or the Ventura/Azura as they are far too big for me. I think they will all become too impersonal and I will not get a chance to chat to the crew and become their friends as I did this year as I've done on many past cruises with P&O on Oriana, Aurora and to a lesser extent on Arcadia and Oceana. 

Whilst I'm always polite and courteous with the crew I come into contact with I must admit that I have no desire to become their 'friend'. I find that my fellow passengers far more interesting to chat to.

Looking at maybe doing just a short one to experience her. She looks fantastic and with it being the maiden season im sure there will be lots of special extras!

Guest shilly3191

Never understand the reasononing to become their "friends" they are there to serve you which they do with the utmost courtesy and manners and are very professional but dont want to chat to them and take them away from their jobs because while they are chatting to you somebody else might want serving.

Never understand the reasononing to become their "friends" they are there to serve you which they do with the utmost courtesy and manners and are very professional but dont want to chat to them and take them away from their jobs because while they are chatting to you somebody else might want serving.

One of the nice things about the staff on P&O is that when they see you on another cruise, they remember you. While I may not want to become their 'friend', I do think it's quite charming that they do. We met a young wine waiter on our last cruise who remembered us from our World cruise. He always came over for a chat because he was feeling homesick and said it was good to see a familiar face. I see nothing wrong with that.

Thanks Jaguar01, to bring this thread back on track - what are those travelling on Britannia most looking forward to?  Is it seeing the cabins and their layout, the restaurants, the pools, the spa?  I am looking forward to some speciality dining, not bothered about the spa but may have a look.

I think its great to become friends with some of the crew! Most of the passengers that you talk too are intent on telling you how many cruises they have done and how many more they have booked. We have many crew friends on Facebook and whatsap it's great to hear from them and lovely that they want to keep in touch. They are not just servants as many people treat them. They are humans have feelings and appreciate people taking an interest in them. As for the new ship not interested next year let everyone else go and we'll get some nice cheap deals on any of the other ships that P and O won't be able to fill because you are all on Britannia. Happy days all round

As cbaird and tally will not be sailing on Britannia, please can this forum be left to those who are.  I respect your right to an opinion but can we leave it at that. 

Yes it may look like a block of flats but so do most of the more modern ships and, yes, it is nice when the crew remember you from previous cruises.

Now can we get on with discussing the ship....

As cbaird and tally will not be sailing on Britannia, please can this forum be left to those who are.  I respect your right to an opinion but can we leave it at that. 

Yes it may look like a block of flats but so do most of the more modern ships and, yes, it is nice when the crew remember you from previous cruises.

Now can we get on with discussing the ship....

Goodness just how many moderators are there on this forum.

how does tally know the cabins are going to be small on the ship,as he inside information,i have sailed on aurora,oceana,arcadia and azura and found the cabin on azura to have the most room which is idea as my wife uses a wheelchair.i think the cabins on the new ship will be as big as auzra.

Guest shilly3191

No I don't think this ship will appeal to me at all. It looks like the seagoing alternative to a high rise hotel in Benidorm to me. In other words a floating cheap hotel. Small cabins small balconies sold at a cheap price. That seems the way P&O are going I'm afraid. Pity I really think P&O are losing their way. :(  

which is your choice like it is others choice to choose to cruise on bigger ships but why keep commenting on Britannia if you have no intention of ever sailing on her. Instead of repetitve moans about Britannia instead of posting why dont you sing a little song instead........"you say it best when you say nothing at all"

which is your choice like it is others choice to choose to cruise on bigger ships but why keep commenting on Britannia if you have no intention of ever sailing on her. Instead of repetitve moans about Britannia instead of posting why dont you sing a little song instead........"you say it best when you say nothing at all"

I made one comment regarding Britannia. The other was with regard to being friendly with the staff. After reading your opinion on the 'Gratuities' thread. I can well understand you not wanting to get friendly with them.

As to my commenting on here, I think that's for the moderator to decide not you or anyone else, and as for your advice perhaps you should take it yourself.

Guest shilly3191

I made one comment regarding Britannia. The other was with regard to being friendly with the staff. After reading your opinion on the 'Gratuities' thread. I can well understand you not wanting to get friendly with them.

As to my commenting on here, I think that's for the moderator to decide not you or anyone else, and as for your advice perhaps you should take it yourself.

If you read the whole thread you will have read that I have never removed my gratuities on P&O and always paid them but what that has got to do with Britannia I dont know. I think the staff do a very good job and always polite and speak to them but dont go on holidays to chat to cabin stewards in corridors when they have got cabins to see too or chat to bar staff when others are waiting to be served I think on the part of the cruiser is very selfish and these days the waiters havent got time to stop and chat because they have too many tables to wait on.

Getting back on the topic of Britannia, I think it'll be a very impressive ship.  The design is extremely similar to that of Princess's Royal Princess and having sailed on her last year in a balcony cabin, the stateroom was definitely spacious enough for us.  I like the idea of a grand atrium and they seem to be really trying to make this a special place on board.  I think the addition of a few more dining venues is nice but not necessarily a huge selling point.  All in all though, I do think the ship will be lovely.  It will have a fight on its hands I feel from Royal Caribbean's Anthem of the Seas due to the innovations they have unveiled on board their new ship but I'll still thoroughly enjoy the Britishness of Britannia I'm sure and cannot wait to give the ship a try.

I agree Sammy Sun. I too sailed on Royal Princess and looking at deck plans/tonnage and passenger capacity i think they will be very similar. I love the bigger ships, especially on a longer cruise, they have so much more to offer, so many different dining venues and entertainment venues. I hope the top deck area is similar to Royal Princess, the light show and the dancers were fabulous in the evening. :)