IanHardacre

Was I Wrong To Suggest That A Fellow Passenger Wash Their Hands Last Week?

Advice please.

Last week on Arcadia's fjord cruise I observed a number of (male) passengers using the loos and not washing their hands, so finally I suggested to one that washing his hands might be a good idea (yes that politely!)

I was subjected to a torrent of abuse along the lines that he was fed up by being told to wash his hands by P&O and he'd wash them if he wanted to and that he didn't want to and most of all I should mind my own business (expletives and repetitions deleted)

Should I have just ignored him or is there a way of asking that would not offend?

PS Last time I was on Arcadia (May 2012) we had a serious outbreak of norovirus - hence my concern

Guest shilly3191

lets hope he reads this forum or anyone that does and dont wash thier hands after using the bathroom are totally ashamed of themselves and their filthy habits.

I can't think of any way you could ask an adult to was their hands without subjecting yourself to abuse, when my kids were young they would do this for me as they always commented if someone was leaving the toilets without washing their hands ( out of the mouth of babes ) i would just smile to myself ;)

First of all I find it absolutely disgusting that someone would not wash their hands after going to the loo. I think you were quite brave to point it out to the passenger, but I'm not sure there is a way to tell someone to wash their hands. It's no wonder the norovirus thrives with filthy people like this. It makes you despair sometimes at certain peoples attitude doesn't it? 

I can't think of any way you could ask an adult to was their hands without subjecting yourself to abuse, when my kids were young they would do this for me as they always commented if someone was leaving the toilets without washing their hands ( out of the mouth of babes ) i would just smile to myself ;)

:D sorry I just had this mental picture of someone standing by whilst some chappy washed his hands and then said 'oh well done' :D

Ok that's my daft post for the day  :wacko:

Offend or please, if I saw a fellow passenger not washing their hands I would say something. can't help myself, I'm afraid.

However on a recent cruise my husband saw an elderly man put his walking stick next to the urinal with the foot of the walking stick underneath the urinal. Although he did wash his hands when he had finished he then left the toilets, went to the lift and used the foot of the walking stick to press the button to call the lift!!

Offend or please, if I saw a fellow passenger not washing their hands I would say something. can't help myself, I'm afraid.

However on a recent cruise my husband saw an elderly man put his walking stick next to the urinal with the foot of the walking stick underneath the urinal. Although he did wash his hands when he had finished he then left the toilets, went to the lift and used the foot of the walking stick to press the button to call the lift!!

Yuk!

Just as well I never use the lifts on board any ship ..the stairs help ward off the extra pounds!

i can't believe adults dont wash their hands, its just a case of cleanliness, i have seen some women not wash their hands too, i admit i only use hot water but im allergic to most liquid soaps, however my squeezy hand sanitizer is always in my bag and used EVERY time i visit the toilet,  people that do not wash are never the ones who get ill!!!

I have seen people do that and it annoys me so much ( I mean use their walking stick to press the lift button). I rarely use the lift but if I do I use a tissue(clean) or a wet wipe to press the button. I'm amazed so many people use their fingers, you NEVER know who or what has just touched it :o . 

It is the same classic response when you honk poor driving and the offender suggests it is you that has the problem.

Fact is people in this country take criticism very very badly and tend to go on the offensive. My wife last week suggested a child should stop kicking a dog and his father appeared and said 'f*ck off b*tch' to my wife strongly suggesting where the child learned his poor behaviour from.

I applaud you commenting on this unacceptable demonstration of disrespect for other passengers.

I agree with all the above posts - but are we ever going to change these habits of ignorant people?

We have tried to minimise the spread of infection by using our spoon from our wrapped cutlery to serve ourselves from the buffet - bet your life those people who come straight from the loo without washing hands will go straight in to the buffet and touch every spoon in every dish - yuk.

I Once saw an adult use his finger to scrape the remnants of sticky toffee pudding off the serving spoon. He then licked his finger, and put the spoon back into the pudding basin. I was surprised he did not lick the spoon as well.

It just proves the point that it is not the fault of the Cruise Lines when they get an out break of N.V.

You were very brave to point out the error of his ways but I doubt whether I would have had the guts to do that.

David