Sign in to follow this  
enrique

Usa Security

Hi has anyone got any news on the heightened security measures that have been put in place for transatlantic flights?  Dont know how much extra time to leave to check in.

I would leave as much time as possible just to make sure that you are not rushing at the last minute, we all know what it is like going through security at the best of times. ;)

British Airways has said it will turn away passengers booked on flights to the US if they are unable to turn their electrical devices on.  Passengers who fail to turn on devices when asked will immediately be banned from their US flight and will have to reschedule, even if they offer to abandon the item or send it on separately, I would imagin other Airlines will follow on with this.

I don't think anyone minds the added checks as long as they know the reason why, lets just hope they have enough staff.

Guest Solent Richard

I'm flying to New York in Aug and last year when I flew to the states check in and security was a nightmare, this time will be even worse :(

I flew to New York last November and encountered no problem.

Having said that I would always support measures that ensured passengers safety and if the checks become more rigid so be it.

It sure strengthens the case for UK cruise sailings.

Guest Solent Richard

The more security the better really.  Having been involved in 9/11 I am all for it no matter how long it takes.

Well said.

I often wish our borders were as well protected as those of the US are now.

I'd echo that Solent Richard if only we were not as lax as we are then some of the criminal gangs wouldnt be as active in the UK, if extra security keeps us all safe then we should embrace it. It's done for our benefit!!

I am flying to San Diego in October with BA and you cannot check in until 3 hours before your flight time (which was the same time as earlier this year). Hopefully if the security checks take a lot longer they will let you check in earlier than this. Looks like we have got this problem for years to come but it is for our own safety.

Irene

Iv just arrived back from the states! Having flown out just before this news came out we where pretty lucky with timing! The US security are very good as it is i can only imagine now!