Sign in to follow this  
RiverSong

Hidden Charges!

After recently been away (not a cruise), this subject is one that infuriates me.

The hidden charges other companies place on booking, like taking the balance 17 weeks in advance?  Booking fees from £10.00 to even £25.00?  Charges to print out your documents again an extra £10.00 as an average?  Don’t get me started if you need to change anything we all know operators & airlines charge for this but why do the agents?

All these are very sneakily hid in the small print & T&Cs, & you may not see them till it’s too late.

All I can say is thank goodness I can book my cruises with Bolsover they don’t do anything like the above!

Guest Solent Richard

After recently been away (not a cruise), this subject is one that infuriates me.

The hidden charges other companies place on booking, like taking the balance 17 weeks in advance?  Booking fees from £10.00 to even £25.00?  Charges to print out your documents again an extra £10.00 as an average?  Don’t get me started if you need to change anything we all know operators & airlines charge for this but why do the agents?

All these are very sneakily hid in the small print & T&Cs, & you may not see them till it’s too late.

All I can say is thank goodness I can book my cruises with Bolsover they don’t do anything like the above!

Bolsover are very good like that and I was glad I made the transfer to them.

For instance they don't make any Credit Card charges when you book with Celebrity and Royal Caribbean - unlike my previous cruise agent.

My family have booked with Bolsover for years, they had a problem once with a name change & Bolsover never made any additional charges to do the change & sent all the paper work out again, they are so helpful.

I would never book a cruises with anyone else, it just highlights what some other "Agents" do when you have to use them. :)

My friend booked a cruise with another agent. She was going to have some medical treatment and had to transfer her booking to an alternate sailing at a later date. Not only was she charged £100 by P&O but also £75 by that agent!

How can an agent charge you if the cruiseline is aleady charging you for amendments?? that is disgraceful!

I booked a cruise last year on Oceana, i called about four agents to see who gave the better price. One of them quoted £50 less than everyone else so I proceeded to book, it wasnt until I gave my card number that they then added on a £20pp booking fee and when I asked them to send tickets as i dont have access to a printer unless I go to the library they wanted to charge me £15!!! WHAT!!! I was very nearly fooled, needless to say I told them where to go.

You have to be careful with these thing otherwise it can wind up being reminiscent of booking a budget flight.  You think your getting a great deal then you add luggage, plus seat allocations, transfers and then of course the cost of using the toilet on the flight and that bargain you first had seems a distant memory.  A lot of cruise agents seem to apply a similar method (I don't want to say strategy as I think that's a bit over the top).  I always check everything and do my research before I book.  I am computer savvy so to speak so do not run into any hidden extras for tickets etc but I have encountered an agent that told me the cost of a cruise then once I was ready to book, dropped a small yet frustrating bombshell that there was a £15 per person booking fee to go on top, making it more expensive than I would have got it elsewhere.  Frustrating but you live and learn.  

Have to agree with some of the comments on here, I've dealt with Bolsover regularly for a while now and never had any complaints.  The point Solent Richard makes about credit card fees is also a valid one. With some agents you can save a lot of money when credit card fees are taken off the table.  I paid via credit card for my Celebrity Cruise and it does make a difference.