Tinkerbell

Caribbean Excursions

Guest Solent Richard

I am going to the Caribbean for the first time in November. Anyone got advice on booking excursions. Is it better to use local taxis to view the islands and is this safe?

Good morning Tinkerbell.

The Caribbean is a big place with many islands.

It would help the members offer advice if you could list those islands you are visiting and maybe any special interests you may have.

I personally just prefer to head for the beaches on most Caribbean islands.

5940269186_cb0464df5b_z.jpg

8592212075_08298c94cf_z.jpg

Look forward to hearing from you.

Hi   I would advice using the local tours they are far cheaper and in many ways better: you can purpose build your excursions to suit your interests.  However, if you wish to go on the Sugar Cane Express in St Kitts (I don't know whether you are going to this island) you have to book the ship's excursion as they book the entire train.  Have a great time.

i have been on many excursions in the caribbean and there are some fantastic ones. sometimes the local tours take you on nice routes, you sometimes get more out of the excursion and yes they generaly are cheaper, however the down side is, if you are late back then that ship will leave withot you.

let us know where you are going, maybe we can give you some great excursions.

:)

Guest Solent Richard

Hello,sorry I would have prefered non pixelated,I worry about you hturtle.

Rodger.

loving the pixelated photo Solent Richard :D

Well in this pc world we live in I'd hate to offend the righteous.

I always think if you are just wanting a beach or an island tour then many of these can be done locally.  If you are doing anything activity based i would book with the ship as you know then that the local companies have adequate insurance and are safe.

Thats exactly what we did NICOLE :) we used P&O for the snorkeling with Turtles as personally we felt safer. We when went to various beaches we just used the local taxis which we shared with other passengers. 

Guest Solent Richard

Thats exactly what we did NICOLE :) we used P&O for the snorkeling with Turtles as personally we felt safer. We when went to various beaches we just used the local taxis which we shared with other passengers. 

God on you Willow.

I never have a problem taking a ship's excursion when it's something I want to do.

Indeed, that photograph I added earlier in the thread...

8592212075_08298c94cf_z.jpg

was taken on a Cunard snorkelling excursion on St. Thomas.

It included a BBQ on that particular beach.

Hi Tinkerbell

I would do a bit of research about the islands you are going to and decide what sort of thing you want to do, if you are planning beach days then yep jump in a mini bus taxi which reduces the cost but also agree a price before you get in and book a return journey giving yourself plenty of time to get back.

I used a taxi in St Vincent's for the whole day he took us to tourist sights and local beaches and we had a great day but in Dominica it worked out cheaper to do a P&O excursion to do the things we wanted to do so as I said do a bit of homework first.

Have a fantastic cruise which I am sure you will :D 

Thanks for replies re Caribbean excursions. As my husband is unable to fly we are sailing from Southampton so are not visiting many islands. Our itinery when there is Antigua, Tortola, St. Maarten, Dominica and Barbados. Recommended excursions would be welcome.

Hi Tinkerbell we have been to all of those islands. In Antigua a popular one is Nelson's Dockyard I did this with P&O I believe it was 'The best of Antigua'. Tortola we did the Dolphin Watch and perhaps we were unlucky but it was quite expensive and a waste of time. St Maarten we did the 'semi-sub' very enjoyable but not for anyone even slightly claustrophobic. Dominica is a lovely island I did an excursion where we travelled on a Carib row boat, I can't remember what it was called. I enjoyed it but some people moaned that it took an hour to get there and an hour back. I didn't mind as I loved seeing the island. Barbados probably the best excursion I think is the 'Turtle Snorkel'. I'm sure others will have their own recommendations. We have been twice from Southampton, I hope you enjoy sea days. :D