speedbird216

Adonia Not Happy

We wanted to just chill and relax so took no formal clothing as we expected to eat in the buffet in the evening but found it only open for 3 nights of our 7 night cruise to the fjords,and they were themed dining so we ended up in our cabin having room service. Also nowhere to sit and have a drink in the evening on formal and smart nights if you were not dressed correctly so again had to sit in our cabin with very expensive room service. Very dissapointed so will not be going on Adonia again.

I knew this but on other ships there is somewhere to relax & eat and drink if you don't want to dress up. We went on Aurora in May and the buffet was open all evening and the sports bar was available if you wanted a drink. On Adonia all the bars were formal dress code and the buffet closed at 3pm

Hi Linzi,

Adonia was ok if a little small for our liking. Not too much to do on sea days, we had explored the ship in about 20 minutes. I think probably as its an adult only ship the activities are more relaxed.

DST regarding reading up on the dress code we knew there was formal nights but expected there to be areas of the ship that would be more relaxed as on other P&O ships

Guest shilly3191

We wanted to just chill and relax so took no formal clothing as we expected to eat in the buffet in the evening but found it only open for 3 nights of our 7 night cruise to the fjords,and they were themed dining so we ended up in our cabin having room service. Also nowhere to sit and have a drink in the evening on formal and smart nights if you were not dressed correctly so again had to sit in our cabin with very expensive room service. Very dissapointed so will not be going on Adonia again.

Sorry but you have only got yourself to blame for not finding these things out before you booked and sailed it is widely publicised about Adonia's dining arrangements. It is no use blaming P&O or Adonia the only person to blame is yourselves.

Conservatory & Bar

Adonias light and airy buffet resteraunt makes for a comfotable and relaxed dining venue.

With a large choice of freshly prepared dishes throughout the day and evening, the conservatory is a firm favourite, And with a large outside dining area this is the perfect place to enjoy the sun with a spot of lunch or watch the sun go down over dinner

AdoAdnia’s light and airy buffet restaurant makes for a comfortable and relaxed dining venue.

With a large choice of freshly prepared dishes throughout the day and evening, the Conservatory is a firm favourite. And with a large outside dining area, this is the perfect place to enjoy the sun with a spot of lunch or watch the sun go down over dinner.

"We wanted to just chill and relax so took no formal clothing"

"Also nowhere to sit and have a drink in the evening on formal and smart nights if you were not dressed correctly

So, you couldn't chill and relax if you wore formal clothing - what rubbish!

Also appears that you were not prepared to wear "correct" clothing on smart nights!

What did you want to wear - shorts and vest?

Although it is generally accepted that P&O are more formal than some cruiselines it is also the case that if you do not wish to dress up there will be somewhere on the ship where you can go either for a drink or something to eat. That is assuming that you are prepared to dress casually and not expect to be in shorts and t-shirts.

I am surprised that the cafeteria was not open for casual dining every night, but maybe that is what you get with a small ship. However, as a back up I would have taken some more formal clothing just to be safe - maybe a lesson learnt.

I do not accept that the ganging up that is happening on this thread is fair.

We enjoy dressing up but accept that others don't. We don't like those that don't dress up and expect entry to dress code compliant venues. In this case it would appear that the OP was accepting of not getting into the dress code compliant places but there was nowhere for them to go, this is not acceptable. Everyone should have somewhere that they can go for a meal or drink.

RayO

I for one am also a little surprised that the buffet was only open 3 nights out 7 and having looked at the P&O web site cannot find any mention of this. Neither have I known any other cruise line to do this as on many lines the buffet does a themed night most evenings. I think it needs to be remembered that the world of cruising is changing at a vast rate of knots. Not just in 'Recommended' dress codes but in the ships with the new innovations and experiences they offer. Many years ago people wore suits to dinner in smart restaurants but now that has changed to chinos, polo shirts, linen jackets. Not everyone feels comfortable in formal dress or a suit and you only have to look at some of the top restaurants in London which I sometimes frequent to witness this. There will always be people that want to keep to the traditional cruising experience but as I have already said as cruise lines bring in bigger ships with different ideas to attract a bigger and newer market it will all change. Just my opinion.

I must admit I'm surprised the buffet wasn't open every evening. I do think if I preferred not to wear formal clothes, I would not choose a P&O ship. I'm sure for a one week cruise there must be plenty of choice out there.

We have taken cruises and not bothered at all with the formal nights, whilst on others we have attended formal/ black and white nights etc.

I think a more informal place to eat/drink and relax should have been available. 

Guest Solent Richard

Of course one has to take into consideration the fact that Adonia is a very small ship compared to the rest of the P&O fleet and doesn't have the size/flexibility available on say Arcadia.

It therefore stands to reason that if they are to have one or two additional 'themed' nights something has to give in the 'buffet' area.

Guest Solent Richard

How rude?

And people wonder why it had to change...

Good morning ShipShape, long time no speak.

I don't understand why you have placed a question Mark (?) behind "How Rude".

Or, for that matter your...."And people wonder why it had to change..."

Guest Solent Richard

Hello,I guess terminator must be awy on holiday.

When threads begin to get personal he usually comes in with a comment.

Rodger.

I'll check 'the other site' Rodger.

It is a little strange. ;)  ;)

Guest Solent Richard

Quite frankly, if I had my way all venues, with the exception of the buffet, would be out of bounds to those not prepared to adhere to the dress code in the evenings.

I just don't understand the 'rebel' mentality. There is a wide choice out there, if you don't want to dress accordingly cruise with someone who have different standards. 

Hello,I guess terminator must be awy on holiday.

When threads begin to get personal he usually comes in with a comment.

Rodger.

Hi Jaguar 01

I always try to bring  either common sense or maybe attempt humour in what can become heated discussions.

RayO AND OWT have both already posted exactly my thoughts on this so I found it better to keep my counsel.

That's why they both got "likes"