Sign in to follow this  
Pit crew

First And Second Class

I have to wait until quite late to book  a cruise [circumstances beyond my control] I recently booked a saver fare on the Oriana, and I was informed that no changes could be made to cabin and dining allocation, I accepted these terms and was pleasantly surprised with the large [i/s] cabin allocated midships on deck 10  near the lift and all venues'.

I always go for 2nd sitting on a fairly large table so was apprehensive about being allocated first sitting, I needn't have worried I was allocated freedom dining 6.30 until 9.30 never tried it before but ended up going for dinner approx. 8.15 every night and sharing a table with 2 other likeminded cruisers  we had a wonderful time [by the way I did approach the maître d about dining at 8.30  and I was told there was a table for 4 if I still wanted it, so yes you can try you may succeed .

As for price it never was discussed in our hearing , so here is one satisfied cruiser in favour of saver fares. CG

As far as I know, it only applies on Ventura and Azura where suite passengers can breakfast in the White Room (Ventura) or Seventeen (Azura).

There is no option for other passengers to breakfast in these restaurants even by paying extra.

Brian

Hi

I think you will find that on all P & O ships if one travels in a suite you are given the option to dine, for breakfast only, in one of the speciality restaurants, i.e The Grill etc, where you have the same waiters each meal and your breakfast is cooked fresh.     I know this to be true on P & O as I have experienced it myself.    I have just returned from a Princess cruise and I heard a whisper that the same option is offered to their suite passengers.     Considering what one pays for  a suite, apart from the accommodation and the option of a butler, this is the only other benefit one receives that is of any significance.

Hi

I think you will find that on all P & O ships if one travels in a suite you are given the option to dine, for breakfast only, in one of the speciality restaurants, i.e The Grill etc, where you have the same waiters each meal and your breakfast is cooked fresh.     I know this to be true on P & O as I have experienced it myself.    I have just returned from a Princess cruise and I heard a whisper that the same option is offered to their suite passengers.     Considering what one pays for  a suite, apart from the accommodation and the option of a butler, this is the only other benefit one receives that is of any significance.

Really. Well my husband and I always have a suite and we've never been told that. Perhaps it doesn't apply to the Aurora or the Oriana. Although there really is nowhere on the Aurora that you could do that.  

Really. Well my husband and I always have a suite and we've never been told that. Perhaps it doesn't apply to the Aurora or the Oriana. Although there really is nowhere on the Aurora that you could do that.

It only applies to Ventura, Azura and Adonia. See my earlier post.

Brian

It only applies to Ventura, Azura and Adonia. See my earlier post.

Brian

Thank you, as you can see Jan stated it applied to ALL P&O ships which is why I was puzzled. :)

Guest Solent Richard

The only line who does separate 1st /2nd class passengers is Cunard that is why I won't go on them!

Good afternoon Travellers.

You know I haven't heard that comment for God knows how long.

However, before we start a serious debate how about you telling us which lines you cruise with as an alternative to avoiding Cunard on that basis.

That way I will save both my time and energy in scribing a reply.

Look forward to hearing from you.

11169629784_9e07a13424_z.jpg

I guess I'm not going to get a response then.

8094293036_675ee29fe5_z.jpg

Don't think you will Richard. People often pick on Cunard for 1st/2nd class which I think is unfair. Cunard offer different grades and similar systems are operated by other cruise lines. Concierge and Aqua Class on Celebrity for example and the Yacht Club on MSC but no one seems to mention these. If you pay top money then you have a right in my book to have and expect a better experience.

Good Morning Richard,

Could you please clarify your point about suite guests having there own Breakfast Restaurant as having sailed exclusively P&O I have never heard or seen this, maybe I have been missing out ;)

I would not call it "missing out" but a "narrow escape"- why on earth would you want to go on holiday and be separated from everyone else. I have been cruising for years and the great part is meeting all the lovely people from all walks of life. I must admit I could have fallen out with some who seemed in my opinion very much above their station, I call them 10 bob millionaires but generally I just give them a sideline when ever I see them. What is it about the British culture thats wants to up market themselves in stead of just "being themselves.

As to breakfast in seventeen on Azura, it doesn't matter if you booked early or had a saver fare it just available if you have a suite, we booked a saver fare and used the offer of breakfast in seventeen,most of the time there were very few people in there, it also just suite us as it saved the walk down the stairs to the MDR and the climb back. And yes I am aware of the boxes called lifts but we refuse to use them, (it's a way of attempting to stop the pounds climbing up the scales)

Hi

We had a suite on Arcadia last year so things may have changed now. There was no Restaurant for suite only use however, the butler offered us the option each evening of having breakfast in the cabin. He took our order in the evening and brought it to us each morning at a time of our choice. We could order anything from the MDR menu. Hot food was always hot. It was a lovely alternative.

Hi,

Forgive my lack of knowledge on this subject but we have just booked our first cruise on the Oriana.

We wanted the northern lights trip, we wanted a midship balcony cabin and we wanted freedom dining. They priced it up for 2015 then priced it up for 2016 and the cost of going in 2016 was, shall we say, more appealing so that's what we booked. We know the cabin number we are staying in so in the light of this conversation what 'rate' have we booked?

Sorry if all of you are laughing at my naivety!

Regards

Gi Gi

I'm not quite sure what you mean by 'rate' Gi Gi. Do you mean have you booked a 'select price' or a 'saver' price. The 'saver' price was the cheaper price. Is that what you meant? If you mean that if you paid a cheaper price you will be treated differently, no you won't. Everyone on P&O is treated exactly the same no matter how much they have paid. :)

Hi

I didn't know there were select or saver prices. We thought the 2016 price was cheaper because the cruise had not long been announced and we were booking that far in advance.

Hi,

Forgive my lack of knowledge on this subject but we have just booked our first cruise on the Oriana.

We wanted the northern lights trip, we wanted a midship balcony cabin and we wanted freedom dining. They priced it up for 2015 then priced it up for 2016 and the cost of going in 2016 was, shall we say, more appealing so that's what we booked. We know the cabin number we are staying in so in the light of this conversation what 'rate' have we booked?

Regards

Gi Gi

I'm probably not the best person to answer as my last cruise on Oriana was in 2000 . . . . nice ship by the way.

As I understand it P&O offer Select and Early Saver fares. You can see the characteristics of each here

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/before-you-sail/fares

They also offer Late Saver fares.

Given the date of your cruise and the information here

https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/before-you-sail/gtee_filled

I would say you have aSelect fare.

Hi

I didn't know there were select or saver prices. We thought the 2016 price was cheaper because the cruise had not long been announced and we were booking that far in advance.

There could be any number of reasons why the 2015 price and the 2016 prices are different!

Yes looking at the benefits on offer I think our fare is a select fare. Although it shouldn't make any difference. The important thing for us was choosing the type and position of our cabin and as we found out, balcony cabins on the Oriana are few and far between.

Our friends have just come back from the fiords and had a balcony for the first time(they have cruised many times) and they said they can't go back to having any other cabin now. So if we really like cruising we better get saving as suites are the only way up!!

Hi,

Regards

Gi Gi

Hi GiGi,

No one will laugh at what you call naivety. The forum is here so that people can obtain answers to cruising questions and none of us knows it all. The simple answer to your question is to ask the cruise agent with whom you booked as any answer from members I would suggest will be based on supposition. Oriana is a nice ship and has some good features. I like the Sports Bar which is based on Lords Cricket Ground and also Andersons. Have a great cruise.

OWT