Howjan

Down The Amazon

Guest Solent Richard

Hi , has anyone any tips or must see for the cruise on Adonia sailing down the Amazon February

Hi there Howjan.

You just caught me before I headed out for a beer.

Is that the February 2014 or 2016 cruise on Adonia?

In one brochure I have it says the 2014 cruise is sold out.

The other thing I noticed on all of them is that they only sail as far as Santarem...

8279918881_d1aeb19295_z.jpg

I sailed there some years ago but with Fred Olsen.

Even not going as far as Manaus the Amazon is an amazing river to sail along and there are some great pastimes. I recall doing an excursion that took us Piranha fishing...

8280975302_95bbbb19a6_z.jpg

Guess what? We even got to eat what we caught.

There is just so much wildlife along the river, first time ever i came across a sloth...

8279921055_9bf2eb72d7_z.jpg

If you are booked my advice is to grab what excursions are available. It's a wonderful cruise.

Now for that beer.

Hi, sailing down the vast Amazon is amazing in itself.  The two things which stuck in our minds was a little boat trip to the 'meeting of the waters' where two bodies of water meet but do not mingle, because of the density of each.  Didn't translate well on camera but in real life it was amazing.  Another trip was to Parentins to a folklore show.  It was colourful and vibrant and fabulous in our view and well worth going.  If you are going to Manaus, visit the Opera House, a stunning building.  We walked from the ship and paid an entrance fee and waited a short while for the next tour, and if you're lucky you might catch a rehearsal.  Take long sleeved shirts and tops and mosquito repellent.  Enjoy !

Hi, sailing down the vast Amazon is amazing in itself.  The two things which stuck in our minds was a little boat trip to the 'meeting of the waters' where two bodies of water meet but do not mingle, because of the density of each.  Didn't translate well on camera but in real life it was amazing.  Another trip was to Parentins to a folklore show.  It was colourful and vibrant and fabulous in our view and well worth going.  If you are going to Manaus, visit the Opera House, a stunning building.  We walked from the ship and paid an entrance fee and waited a short while for the next tour, and if you're lucky you might catch a rehearsal.  Take long sleeved shirts and tops and mosquito repellent.  Enjoy !

I think Fudge just about has it covered - other than to suggest you sample the coldest beer you're likely to have tasted if you do get to Manaus.

Guest Solent Richard

Not relating to the topic I know but have to say - I love the sloth…  :)

The fish wasn't bad either...

8280978520_ee7f2aa14f_z.jpg

Guest Solent Richard

Regarding the convergence of the two rivers, I did a plane ride to see just that....

8279920021_8b99ce2402_z.jpg

and also managed to capture the Balmoral for good measure...

8279920347_ba5795e43a_z.jpg

Whatever though, the Amazon is one great place to cruise and should be on any serious cruiser' bucket list.

We are on Adonia in Jan 2015 sailing down Amazon as far as Santerem. Really looking forward to this, although would have preferred to go a bit further to Manaus.

Was going to ask a few questions but seems to have been covered, great photos as usual from Richard.

Think the cruise is sold out and has been since very soon after release. We struggled to get flights from Mcr but persistence finally paid off and we are now able to fly from Mcr rather than the hell of travelling to Gatwick and back. Not the best from up north!!!

Guest Solent Richard

We are on Adonia in Jan 2015 sailing down Amazon as far as Santerem. Really looking forward to this, although would have preferred to go a bit further to Manaus.

Was going to ask a few questions but seems to have been covered, great photos as usual from Richard.

Think the cruise is sold out and has been since very soon after release. We struggled to get flights from Mcr but persistence finally paid off and we are now able to fly from Mcr rather than the hell of travelling to Gatwick and back. Not the best from up north!!!

very pleased for you BaldEagle. 

There are a number of P&O cruises already sold out, we are on an Oriana wait list.

But whatever, you will enjoy the Amazon.

Guest Solent Richard

The Opera House, Manaus, Brazil

Good afternoon Fudge.

8280976138_74c4ffc3e9_z.jpg

In the days before I had a wide angle lens.  ;)  ;)

Hello Richard, I have a confession to make.  Innocently, I thought my pic of the Opera House was taken by my other half but he tells me he got the pic from elsewhere.  The pic of the waters was taken by him from the boat we were on.  He took videos of our cruises so I must ask him to do some stills for me.  I am not technical at all and it is by a miracle I managed to upload the two pics I did.  The Opera House is truly wonderful, as your picture shows. 

Guest Solent Richard

Hello Richard, I have a confession to make.  Innocently, I thought my pic of the Opera House was taken by my other half but he tells me he got the pic from elsewhere.  The pic of the waters was taken by him from the boat we were on.  He took videos of our cruises so I must ask him to do some stills for me.  I am not technical at all and it is by a miracle I managed to upload the two pics I did.  The Opera House is truly wonderful, as your picture shows. 

Good morning Fudge.

It really doesn't matter where the pictures came from, its the fact you are prepared to share them with the forum.

By the way, if the video is good why not get your your husband to upload it to Youtube and then post the link on here.

Every little helps.  ;)  ;)

Don't know about that Richard, a lot of the time it is very windy and that makes a terrible racket on the video.  I do a couple of pieces to camera and am as wooden as anything.  I might review them again and see what he thinks.