Pebbles93

Best Cruise Line For Aus/nz?

Guest Solent Richard

Have you tried looking at segments of Cunard and P&O World Cruises?

13290463534_53ceb296fe_z.jpg

Guest Solent Richard

Solent Richard you do make me jealous with all these photos! :P yes we did have a look into sectors its definitely a good idea! if only i could get the time off work to do a full world!

Good morning Pebbles.

The sectors are ideal for those who are working and can't take the time off for a full World Cruise. 

Okay, just for you, Corregidor in the Philippines, Aurora World Cruise...

10325802325_1ef7398448_z.jpg

hello all! i am seeking some wisdom as to which cruise line is the best for an australia/NZ cruise, focusing particularly on the points of call. can anyone help?

We cruised from Sydney to Auckland on Celebrity a couple of years ago and really enjoyed the experience.  We spent a week around Sydney before the cruise and another week on the North Island of New Zealand afterwards.  It is a long way to go without adding to the cruise.  We loved the Sounds in New  Zealand and other stand out memories from the cruise are of Dunedin, Napier and Rotorua.  Wellington is an interesting city, known as the City of Sails (not sales) since it is centred around the sea.  The Te Papa museum there was fascinating with Maori art and an earthquake experience room.

Hi Solent Richard!

I see that you've been to Sydney ........ I will be sailing there on Arcadia in February 2015 and I am staying in a hotel for 5 days. Any suggestions on what trips/tours I could book myself on? I did look at the harbour bridge climb. Have you done that? I looked at the video and thought "Yes, I can do that" then ....... I saw the upright ladder that has to be climbed at some stage. Yikes!! I want to go whale watching but need to some more ideas from folks who have done them :-)

Ha ,,, I did not do the Bridge Climb,,,

Sydney is a great jumping off place for tours around the area and into the blue mountains. tour including a river cruise for the day

Try the helicopter ride that takes you over the city and the harbour or into the country.

Five days is not a lot of time to explore so it sounds like day1 and day 5 will be arrival and departure days

The city itself offers usual hop on hop off tours, boat rides all over including dining or luncheon cruises all within walking distance of the business section.

You can spend a day or two just walking and exploring the stores , Opera House Area, parks etcetra, Hunter Winery Day tour , whale watching cruise and dinner,, many options

by the way , the bridge climb about $220 CDN plus, 3.5 hours, groups of 14 or less or you can opt for a shorter time , less folks but you need to be in shape. Some of the folks here have done the climb who can report to you

have a great time on your cruise and in Sydney

Hi Laughter Sparkles...... I did the Bridge Climb 2 years ago and it was a fabulous experience. It is expensive but worth every penny. It is not too tiring physically as you go up slowly and stop a lot to admire the views. However if you don't like heights or climbing ladders that could be a problem. They make you do a dummy climb before you actually go onto the bridge to make sure you are physically able. Enjoy!

I did the Sydney bridge climb a few years ago and it was brilliant! For me it was a once in a lifetime opportunity that couldn't be missed. You can also do it in the evening to see Sydney lit up at night. I would highly recommend this. Manly Island is also very nice and worth a visit and walk around. Just a short ferry trip from Sydney Harbour. Also Darwin Harbour at night is very nice too smile.png Blue mountains was a very good experience too and this is high up on my must do in Sydney list too. Hope you have an amazing time. x

I know it's not for everyone but I couldn't go to Sydney and not see an Opera. We saw Verdi's 'Falstaff' and it was wonderful. This time around it will be the 'Blue Mountain' excursion. I think I'll leave the 'Bridge Climb' to the more energetic.smile.png

Hello Laughter sparkles.

Sorry quote button never works for me!

I am replying to your question regarding the Sydney harbour bridge climb. I have done it!

Yes, I did it and it is a must do when in Sydney. I loved it and I am over 60 years old and I found it a doddle.

I did it with a small group on the ships excursions.8 of us in total from over 2000 passengers on QM2. Most were chicken. smile.png

It really is something and I did not find it hard at all.

I did a world cruise on Arcadia in 2013. You should read my book  called Ships Shoes & Maggiemou as I have written a whole chapter on the details of the bridge climb.

You will be there with me as you read it and will be booking it by the time you have read it all. smile.png

I also write about the full journey on Arcadia  so plenty of port information from that cruise and also  a world cruise on Cunard QE  Lots of stuff that we did in Sydney in there as well. Find the book online at the store that sounds like a Jungle.smile.png

I have some great photos but can't add them on here. I need help!! How to add photos and how to use the quotes. Not a  problem for me normally.

On QM2 WORLD CRUSIE IN 2012 . We went to the Opera and saw Puccini's Turandot. We booked it the morning we arrived and went to the evening performance. We just walked across Circular Quay to the Opera House and booked it ourselves. Did not need a ships tour. We dressed up and my husband wore his evening suit. It was lovely.

Hi Laughter Sparkles

We spent a week in Sydney before our Australia/NZ cruise.  Some of the interesting things we did, beside the obvious ones:  We bought a day ticket on the ferries in the harbour and visited various areas of the city and surrounds.  We took a HOHO bus and went to Bondi Beach as well exploring the city.  We took the train to the Blue Mountains and travelled around there on a local trolley car.  We went into the park (Botanic Gardens?) near the city centre at dusk to see the fruit bats flying.  We didn't try the Bridge Climb, although my niece has done it twice and highly recommended it, but we walked across the bridge and up the towers to get a good view of the harbour.

Sheila

On QM2 WORLD CRUSIE IN 2012 . We went to the Opera and saw Puccini's Turandot. We booked it the morning we arrived and went to the evening performance. We just walked across Circular Quay to the Opera House and booked it ourselves. Did not need a ships tour. We dressed up and my husband wore his evening suit. It was lovely.

I think you were wise, although we did have excellent seats in the Opera House. We found it amusing that our coach trip took us all around the town (it seemed) even though we were within walking distance. It was such a lovely evening that we decided to walk back and give the coach a miss.

Werrong Beach is a nice place for cruising in Sydney. I have no experience of this destination but one of my friends has been there few months ago with his fellows. He told me about this spot in detail. I have a plan to go there in coming vacation with my family. 

I've done the bridge climb, a while ago though. We had to wear these grey jumpsuits and we all got linked together, glasses secured. They do the climb quite slowly, you go up a bit then stop admire the views then off again.  At the top we had a photo taken with the Opera House in the background. Fab go for it