Grandpa

Electronic Smoking

I totally disagree.

Real smoking should be banned in all public areas, staterooms and balconies, with the exception of dedicated areas for smokers located to minimise smoke travelling to other areas.

eCigs I have no problem with, and frankly wouldn't object to them being used by someone at dinner sitting next to me.  They give off no smell and don't interfere with me, so I don't care if people want to do them.

Cruise lines seem to be taking a compromise approach (presumably to placate people like you) and allow eCigs in staterooms and balconies, but not in public areas.  I suppose it's a reasonable compromise.

I know several people for whom eCigs have resulted in them stopping altogether.  It might not be totally risk-free, but it's a hell of a lot better than smoking.

You said it Duncan  it might be not risk free, [ it's has not be proven] although the tobacco industry would like you to think so, and as for stopping people from smoking, no it hasn't if they still require a dummy in their mouths '

Also with the different flavours it is sure to encourage  new  and young smokers to use them as they are  seen as a fashion accessory , which could lead   smoking.

The World Health Organisation has said that electronic cigarettes should be banned from indoor spaces and face curbs on their sales over health fears.  Despite releasing vapour instead of smoke the devices, officially known as electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS), still carry a risk to those standing around users, a report for the WHO said.   "The fact that ENDS exhaled aerosol contains on average lower levels of toxicants than the emissions from combusted tobacco does not mean that these levels are acceptable to involuntarily exposed bystanders.  "In fact, exhaled aerosol is likely to increase above background levels the risk of disease to bystanders, especially in the case of some ENDS that produce toxicant levels in the range of that produced by some cigarettes."

Cruiselines ceasing catering for vegetarians does not pose a health risk for other people. 

Fudge you are missing the point. The reason that there are dedicated areas onboard for smokers is indeed to protect non smokers from being in the midst of the fumes. It is a democracy afterall, as long as smoking tobacco is legal people are allowed to do it, it is a life choice, hence the vegetarian comparison.

The World Health Organisation has said that electronic cigarettes should be banned from indoor spaces and face curbs on their sales over health fears.  Despite releasing vapour instead of smoke the devices, officially known as electronic nicotine delivery systems (ENDS), still carry a risk to those standing around users, a report for the WHO said.   "The fact that ENDS exhaled aerosol contains on average lower levels of toxicants than the emissions from combusted tobacco does not mean that these levels are acceptable to involuntarily exposed bystanders.  "In fact, exhaled aerosol is likely to increase above background levels the risk of disease to bystanders, especially in the case of some ENDS that produce toxicant levels in the range of that produced by some cigarettes."

Cruiselines ceasing catering for vegetarians does not pose a health risk for other people. 

The WHO has over the years made many judgements that have never under scrutiny been proven to a satisfactory point, they like many other organizations have there experts, who disagree with other experts. Just a final point where does the aerosol element come from in an e-cigarette it is a vapour that is emitted the same as a kettle.

It would appear so Ron! I just don't understand how people can complain about something when they aren't forced to be around it? If you don't like alcohol, don't go to a nightclub, if you don't like smokers/smoking, don't go to the smoking area, simples!

Hello,Where are you Terminator when your forum needs you.

Rodger.

Hi Rodger

Not been able to log in for a while...CCF admin emailed me to say all was ok now.

If I didnt know better I'd say this person is just here for a wind up...have a look at their contribution up to now..8 posts in almost a year one of which was this diatribe about sunbeds and I quote

"Why do some brain dead people think that's it's ok to put towels on sun beds and not use them I just wish that the cruise lines enforce their so called rule ie to remove all items after a period of time??????"

Best ignored and if I were CCF admin I'd be checking the IP .

Off for a weeks holiday to Scotland soon to meet up with some old pals.

Oh and can I just add that the cruise lines will do what's best for their business...and all we can do as consumers is abide by their rules.

Everybody is given a satisfaction form at the end of their cruise..I suggest that if people have a problem with what little space that is now left to smokers they use this method to voice their disagreement with these rules.

Shouting about it on a forum won't change a thing.

Me?..I say live and let live and keep away from areas that are quite clearly defined on every ship.

Simple really isn't it?

It's nice to see the sensible people are back,as you say some of these people only seem to throw the odd spanner in to get a reaction as they never seem to reply to other people's comments about there posts.As you say they are best ignored, enjoy your break in Scotland.wink.png

ron, on 26 Sept 2014 - 09:09 AM, said:

It's nice to see the sensible people are back,as you say some of these people only seem to throw the odd spanner in to get a reaction as they never seem to reply to other people's comments about there posts.As you say they are best ignored, enjoy your break in Scotland.wink.png

I have no wish to cross swords with anyone but I am a little worried about some replies to this thread which allude to the authenticity of this thread and its originator. The comment 'throw the odd spanner in' alludes to someone deliberately making comments to cause friction. Such comments can be a prelude to an argument. I would rather not see the 'troll' road travelled on here in a public way because I have seen enough accusations of people being trolls - and the resulting fall-out - eelsewhere and do not want to see it again. If people genuinely suspect the authenticity of a post and its originator, then may I suggest people do not engage with the thread? In my view it is certainly not up to anyone to question why people have not replied on a thread. For my own part, responses to my posts stated that I had missed the point. I did not miss the point, but I am not going to argue the toss with anyone about it.

What I find a little odd is that people who do not smoke and berate others for doing so also buy duty free on the ships to take home for friends who do. If cruise lines want to stop smoking on ships then stop selling cigarettes. Oh, sorry, that of course would affect their profits. Strange old world.

This is not the first post by you which alludes to the authenticity of this thread.  Your comment 'throw the odd spanner in' is the sort of comment which precedes an argument and I get the impression that you might be setting off down the troll road.   I would rather not see that road travelled on here because I have seen enough accusations of people being trolls - and the resulting fall-out - eelsewhere and do not want to see it again. If you genuinely believe the authenticity of a post and its originator, then may I suggest you do not engage with the thread?  and certainly not question why people have not replied on a thread.  For my own part, responses to my posts stated that I had missed the point.  I did not miss the point, but I am not going to argue the toss with you or anyone else about it.

I do not think that i said I am  doubting the authenticity of the thread if you read my post correctly. Check other replies to this thread who have said similar to mine.I also do not wish to argue but I reserve the right of reply, after all that is what a forum is forwink.png

Ron, you said "It's nice to see the sensible people are back, as you say some of these people only seem to throw the odd spanner in to get a reaction as they never seem to reply to other people's comments about there posts.As you say they are best ignored."   Your remarks were made directly after Terminator's comments.  In other words, you are saying that you think that some posters are not sensible and that some of these posters only seem to throw the odd spanner in to get a reaction.  Comments which could be considered denigrating and definitely accusatory. I wouldn't want to see people put off posting for fear of someone denigrating and suspecting their contributions as witnessed elsewhere.

Ron, you said "It's nice to see the sensible people are back, as you say some of these people only seem to throw the odd spanner in to get a reaction as they never seem to reply to other people's comments about there posts.As you say they are best ignored."   Your remarks were made directly after Terminator's comments.  In other words, you are saying that you think that some posters are not sensible and that some of these posters only seem to throw the odd spanner in to get a reaction.  Comments which could be considered denigrating and definitely accusatory. I wouldn't want to see people put off posting for fear of someone denigrating and suspecting their contributions as witnessed elsewhere.

Fudge,

To clarify my comments.Whilst everybody has the right to post threads surely if you post a thread with such a statement "they should ban smoking end of " then leave it at that.What are people supposed to thinkwink.png

Ron,

Food for thought:  perhaps it is simply a case of a poster making a statement without engaging further in a debate to justify their comments ?  In any case, surely any misgivings you and others may have perhaps should be kept to yourselves?  Some people might say that doubters are themselves throwing a firework into the ring and watching the sparks fly?  Let us say that the original poster and his comments are absolutely genuine, but here you are (along with another) questioning this person's credentials and motive in posting.  It's not nice to read, and I've seen enough of it elsewhere as to not want to see it here, so on that note I shall take my leave of this particular thread.

I have no wish to cross swords with anyone but I am a little worried about some replies to this thread which allude to the authenticity of this thread and its originator. The comment 'throw the odd spanner in' alludes to someone deliberately making comments to cause friction. Such comments can be a prelude to an argument. I would rather not see the 'troll' road travelled on here in a public way because I have seen enough accusations of people being trolls - and the resulting fall-out - eelsewhere and do not want to see it again. If people genuinely suspect the authenticity of a post and its originator, then may I suggest people do not engage with the thread? In 5my view it is certainly not up to anyone to question why people have not replied on a thread. For my own part, responses to my posts stated that I had missed the point. I did not miss the point, but I am not going to argue the toss with anyone about it.

Morning..I replied as Rodger enquired as to where I was.

My opinion is that this person is just here to stir the pot...as witnessed by their number of posts and the manner of those posts.

Maybe troll was too strong a word in this case...I'm sure seeing as the OP is such a prolific poster that this thread won't have disappeared in to the ether and when they prove me wrong I'll eat humble pie...with a large dollop of custard...time will tell.

And by definition

: "An internet 'troll' is an abusive or obnoxious user who uses shock value to promote arguments and disharmony ..."

I"ll let you decide if my use is incorrect...

If you go to John Heald (Senior Cruise Director for Carnival) Facebook site you will  read where Carnival Cruise Line has now made accommodations   for smokers on the promenade deck (per picture I saw) . Very nice couches , chairs  and umbrellas .. This is being placed on all ships.

One hopes non smokers can use this area also, being an ex-smoker I do miss my pipe :)

E-Cigs here are now banned from our local malls and for sure hospitals and workplaces.

The Jury seems to be out on the health benefits though I know some friends have reduced by using them.

Our local community passed a law where even on a public beach you can be told not to smoke.

Back to cruise ships., we still need to accommodate folks to my mind though now on open decks