Land Ahoy

Rough Seas

Hi  Am I usual in that i like a little ocean swell when on a cruise.   Larger ships, better stablisers, has meant that ships rarely sway about the way the smaller vessels did in the past and most of the time you could be in a land based resort.  If the sea is a little rough I feel I.m on a cruise, as I do not suffer from any form of travel sickness I quite like it when the ship is pitching and rolling to some extent.  Do you prefer dead calm seas or the motion to suggest that you are actually sailing on the oceans?.   

First cruise was on Aurora ( we've only done three 4th in Nov) but we hit a force 10 late evening going south through the bay of Biiscay it had been choppy during the morning and afternoon, great fun, then two years ago hit a bit of a chop going through the straights of Gib, I'd be miffed if we didnt have a bite. Of a rock and roll, as Sid above would think you were land based witHout it.

I feel it would be disappointing if every day at sea was a smooth as glass.  When you wander down the corridors weaving from side to side it's good to be able to blame the motion of the ocean rather than admitting to having had maybe a little too much wine.  A rough sea, however, does play havoc with the ballroom dancing - mind you, so does too much wine!!  How the show dancers cope on a bad night I will never know.

We love a bit of RnR, though day after day can get monotonous - things get cancelled, dinner mates don't show, crew don't show, nights sleep are lost etc.. Usually get great service in the bars though as some of the passengers are prone in their cabins.

Things seem to have become less bad weather tolerant of late as at the slightest bit of untoward motion there are announcements, decks closed and sick bags. Whatever happened to the stiff upper lip?

If you get seasick then you get seasick, but there appear to be more people nowadays worrying themselves into getting seasick.

RayO

I love the motion - the rougher , the better for me - that's why I cruise holidays rather than land based holidays. I deliberately choose the highest decks and as far forward or aft as I can.I do admit that it does hurt the hips sometimes when trying to balance forward and back with side to side as well.

Having sailed on several occasions I have yet to experience any really 'Rough' seas. Crossing the Atlantic 5/6 years ago on the Artemis (a small ship) I expected a little stormy weather. The full journey back to England was very calm waters, the captain commented he had never known it so calm.

In 2015 I will be sailing to the Caribbean on the Britannia, hoping for a little 'sea swell' on that journey!!