Pebbles93

Favourite Port

Guest Solent Richard

antigua, best beaches biggrin.png

Road Town, Tortola.

I just love Cane garden Bay.

15242474918_b2d5219717_z.jpg

Guest Solent Richard

Though of course you can always opt for the views, surf  and fun at Orient Beach on St Maarten...

5940269186_cb0464df5b_z.jpg

Guest Solent Richard

what does everybody think of Barbados?

Good morning Pebbles.

Barbados is fine except that it is more than usually a 'turn-around' port.

Having once done the island tour we now head for the beach and in that respect there is just really one place to go, The Lobster Alive Bar ...

8574624635_91da68db0a_z.jpg

which is next door to The Boatyard...

9516358260_f0a292870f_z.jpg

...better known as the beach bar for the cruise crews.

I loved St Lucia for the activity within the volcano…. (I like to see at least one when I am holiday) however St. Maarten was the next best. I didn't like Bridgetown… ok if you want to sit on a beach I suppose but nothing else appealing unless you go further afield. 

H  A very difficult question for me to answer, the similarities  between the islands is too close to make a valid judgment.   I can say it won't be St Thomas, Magen's Beach is very good but the large number of cruise passengers visiting the island makes it too crowded for liking.  I do have a soft spot for Barbados (it was the first Caribbean island I visited), I also  like the beaches at The Baths (Vigin Gorda) and Seven Mile Beach (Grand Caymen).

Ive only been on 1 Caribbean cruise, so i dont have much to choose from. But i do like Antigua. The beaches were just like a postcard and what i was expecting in the Caribbean. St Maarten is my next favourite, just for how much fun we had there on Maho Beach!! :)

Solent Richard your photos do make me go a particular shade of green at times! :D haha, the caribbean is definitely high up on my list of places to visit, its a shame not many cruise lines visit Jamaica (I'm a HUGE Bob Marley fan) but I would imagine the aspect of safety plays a large part in that.

Guest Solent Richard

Solent Richard your photos do make me go a particular shade of green at times! biggrin.png haha, the caribbean is definitely high up on my list of places to visit, its a shame not many cruise lines visit Jamaica (I'm a HUGE Bob Marley fan) but I would imagine the aspect of safety plays a large part in that.

Solent Richard your photos do make me go a particular shade of green at times! biggrin.png haha, the caribbean is definitely high up on my list of places to visit, its a shame not many cruise lines visit Jamaica (I'm a HUGE Bob Marley fan) but I would imagine the aspect of safety plays a large part in that.

Good morning Pebbles.

I too was a fan of Bob Marley. 

However, there is on the island of Tortola,  located on the beach at Cane Garden Bay, a place called Quito's Gazebo. Owned by singer/songwriter Quito Rymer.  He is probably now the best known Caribbean reggae exponent and a visit to Quito's Gazebo is well worth one's time...

Guest Solent Richard

Okay then, here is one other from my favourite caribbean collection...

Grande Anse Beach, Grenada.

11732928996_556416e29e_z.jpg

8592212493_1a405ea17d_z.jpg

I'm a 'newbie' to cruising, and want to plan what to do/where to go on Caribbean cruise on Ventura next Jan. Friends say take some excursions and some beach days. Not keen "see island on bus" types, but acknowledge some necessary as we don't know what alternatives are available. Like local bars/music. What advice for us 65yr young couple?

Shouldn't this be renamed favourite port in the Caribbean as all the comments are for beaches there, thought there would be more posts for the rest of the world as it's such a vast area.

Places like Australia,Singapore,Fiji and the Pacific Islands. Malaysia,the Indian sub continent.

no worries paul1924! But you're right I think the general hotspots in the caribbean are the beaches, understandably they do look stunning :) but I have heard of some amazing island tours as there is an abundance of history to be explored in the caribbean.

Cartagena with that mix of old and new. The old town with its protective walls, shops and colonial style buildings, the new town with its modern areas and beautiful silver sand beaches. The whole area has a vibrancy about it that I have never found replicated anywhere else in the Caribbean or indeed anywhere for that matter.  A great deal to see and enjoy.

Barbados of course,,, married to a Bajan

no contest ,, flying fish, Mount Gay Rum, macaroni pie, , Caribbean sea for calm water or the rough Atlantic on the East Coast