Sign in to follow this  
Guest Solent Richard

A Steak Out In Montevideo

Guest Solent Richard

Just a five minute walk from the Montevideo port entrance there is an amazing building that contains a myriad of restaurants, the majority of which barbecue some of the best steaks in South America before your very eyes. Indeed, it is pure theatre for food lovers and carnivores in particular.

Originally completed as a fruit and vegetable market in 1868 with original castings manufactured at the K T Parkin this metal framed building is now a gastronomic and cultural tour of not just Montevideo but of the whole of Uruguay.

The visitor could easily be forgiven for believing a local myth that the metal structure was originally intended and shipped from Liverpool to be a railway station bound for Bolivia.  When payment was not forthcoming it was utilised as the original market in Montevideo.

12026839596_4c82c5990f_z.jpg

12026356914_be0265aa70_z.jpg

12026839516_472aef3641_z.jpg

12026285743_854325b015_z.jpg

This place is popular with both locals and cruise ship passengers.

12026839096_c8ea2171fe_z.jpg

My advice to anyone who has a love for eating in a fun environment is that this is one place worth a visit.

You can read a full review of the meal and venue on my blog page...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2014/01/28/dining-out-in-montevideo/

Thanks for the info and the photos. We will be in Montevideo in January for 2 days. So I think we will definitely have to check out one of these restaurants.smile.png

Guest Solent Richard

Thanks for the info and the photos. We will be in Montevideo in January for 2 days. So I think we will definitely have to check out one of these restaurants.smile.png

Guaranteed a must visit and so easy to find.

Very reasonably priced as well considering what you get and the quality of the meat...

12026839146_b4934a2b73_z.jpg

Richard, thanks for this it looks amazing and we are visiting late January on Aurora. Will give this a try. Only just booked this part of world cruise as we cancelled the Adonia cruise when they altered the itinerary, but really looking fwd to Rio, Montivideo and the various visits to Chile.