Welcome to Bolsover Cruise Club Forum

Register now to gain access to all of our features. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to contribute to the Cruise Club Forum by submitting your own content or replying to existing content. You'll be able to customize your profile, receive reputation points as a reward for submitting content, while also communicating with other members via your own private inbox, plus much more!

This message will be removed once you have signed in.

KeithnRita

Table Size? Do You Have A Preference?

37 posts in this topic

What size diner table to you prefer while on a cruise? We've had a table for two up to a  table for twelve. The table for two was a special request and we really enjoyed it. We were  treated like royalty while celebrating our actual wedding anniversary on board. The table  for twelve was a request, as well, when we met up with others we cruised with in the past.  Generally if we are cruising alone we like a round table for eight which is a great way to  meet interesting people. We have been lucky so far (knock on wood) we have not had any table mates from hell! Of course, maybe some thought we were! Also, the rectangular diner tables we don't particularity like.

WAVES likes this

I prefer a table of eight as the conversations vary each night and I find the evening more enjoyable, only ever had one cruise where I didn't really enjoy the other table companions.  My next cruise I am going to try Freedom dinning so fingers crossed it is OK I thought it high time I gave it a go.

KeithnRita and Captain Kidd II like this

We prefer the table for 8, 2nd sitting, and the round table.

Our reasoning being that with 3 other couples it will be easier  to get on with and share experiences

David

paul1924 likes this

Tables for 8 are usually a good mix of passengers and always a good idea for those new to cruising to pick up ideas and tips. Open or Freedom dining will give passengers the opportunity to change from tables for 2 to as many as tables for 12 all within the same cruise - good idea for meeting a variety of different cruisers.

Hi It's personal choice, there's no right or wrong answer to the question of table size.  Some passengers prefer a small table others prefer a larger one.  On a personal level I prefer open seating dining and can choice the table size on wishes that evening.

Our first cruise we were on a table for 6 and whilst it was ok, the other two couples knew each other and had booked the cruise together so we felt slightly like interlopers, the last two were on tables for 8 land it worked much better, bearing in mind that on some occasions a couple may be missing due to dining at a different location. Sitting preference got to be 2nd

I would prefer a table for 6 or 8 but my wife always asks for a table for 2, while I love my wife and we've enjoyed many cruises together after being together all night and day it is good to mix with others and have conversation with others, indeed doing this we have made a number of friends who we are still in contact with. Yes  you can get a bad experience but on most occasions this is not the case.

We're off again in a month for 4 weeks on QM2 again we've asked for a table for 2, I hoping they're all gone.

We are in the 6 or 8 table camp too and later dining also, mainly for the 'sociable' side of our cruising.

Quite happy with a rectangular 6, but prefer a round for the larger 8 as it difficult to hear what is going on at the other end. We like to 'rotate' seatss throughout the cruise too.

We had a couple of '2's' as well, but it can make for very isolated cruising, if not partaking of that many ship activities.

We also enjoy the 'happy hours' too, for much the same reason, getting to know people and the making of new shipboard friends.

KeithnRita likes this

We both were happy to share a large table on early sitting ,and for the most part found we had some nice dining partners. Still in touch with many of those we dined with.

However having tried Open dining on Azura we now prefer and a table for two,a bad experience where we were waiting  between courses whilst one couple slowly munched there way through every course (Two Starters in one Case) He finished his wife's meal off every night  ,and they hardly ever spoke ,persuaded  us to try a table for two which we have had for the last few cruises ,no waiting  for the rest of the table ....Davybe

sorrento89 and KeithnRita like this

A shared table in Freedom Dining. We find that way you only meet any obnoxious traveller once and  if you meet people whom you like you can always arrange to meet them again. If we go with friends then a table for however many there are of us.

KeithnRita likes this

My husband and I prefer a round table for eight for same reason as others. We were put on a very large table on royal Caribbean but changed tables because It was too large and difficult to converse with others. We are just about to set off on Fred Olsen from Liverpool. We have booked a table for eight!!!!

HLM and KeithnRita like this

We prefer Freedom dining and on a table for 6. Always good conversation and food is served slightly quicker than on a table for 8.  Was once on a 10 table. Couldn't speak to the bloke at the far end without shouting.

On 12/18/2016 at 7:29 PM, RevRon said:

We prefer Freedom dining and on a table for 6. Always good conversation and food is served slightly quicker than on a table for 8.  Was once on a 10 table. Couldn't speak to the bloke at the far end without shouting.

Agree with you RevRon a table for 6 in freedom dining is our favourite size unless the other 4 diners are together.

We Have booked a Cruise on Britannia in April and have opted for Freedom dining ,After our experience on Oceana  last year where the started queuing at 5-0pm for a 6 o'clock dining time ,just ensure a table for 2.We have decide to go when ready and opt for ether a table for two or sharing whichever is available ,just go with the flow and hope it turns out well...Davybe

We like freedom dining and vary between a table for two and sharing.  As another poster said we had a bad experience with table mates who ordered multiples of each course and made dinner into a marathon.  At least with freedom dining we only had to suffer this once.  Before freedom dining was an option we preferred a table for eight and late dining, but never really subscribed to the 'get to know your waiter' idea.  We do not have special requests or needs and waiters really do not have time to chat these days.

Davybe likes this