Sign in to follow this  
RiverSong

Iconic Christmas Adverts, The Holidays Are Coming!

Land Ahoy

The £90 penguin is huge in John Lewis but they sell other sizes starting at £12.

Each to their own when it comes to spending money as there are so many people with their own ideas as to what is expensive and what is good value.  smile.png 

Land Ahoy

The £90 penguin is huge in John Lewis but they sell other sizes starting at £12.

Each to their own when it comes to spending money as there are so many people with their own ideas as to what is expensive and what is good value.  smile.png

Hi  I don't disagree with your views, but I do hope that the people who are willing to pay 90 pounds on a soft toy aren't the same passengers who complain about the cost of tips on a cruise or don't give at least this amount to charity, they can afford it laugh.png laugh.png

If people wish to spend their money on a penguin then it is up to them, why should they have to donate the same to charity?

Hi  It's my opinion that they have too much money if they can spend a fortune on a soft toy it's upto themselves but I believe that many good causes could use the same amount of money on more important things such as preventing deaths in Africa.   By providing mosquitos nets (twenty to thirty pound each) ie three lives can be saved for the cost of one Monty the penguin - I don't think I need to say anymore.

Land Ahoy I would say with the amount of money which has been sent to Africa in charitable donations over many years that their should be no more mosquito nets required or any starving children being filmed. Is it that the money is not being used to the right effect? indeed is the money even going to the right people?

I work hard I earn my money like most people and how I CHOOSE to spend it is my right, if I wanted to spend £90 on a stuffed toy (which I don't) I would. How about me asking you to match the money you spend on your cruises and give that to charity because if you cruise you clearly have to much money!!!  

Guest shilly3191

Interesting read in Mail On Sunday last weekend about charities about how much Chief Executives get paid and the large number of staff on over £60,000 per year and how little of donated money actually gets to the purpose it is supposed too after taking out wages and all other expenses very little goes to good causes. I know all my charity donations in the future will go to local charities where I know they rely on money from donations. There was also a lady on TV Sunday morning arguing with Esther Rantzen about Bob Geldof's latest Band Aid release and she said that we didnt want our money.

Shilly you are correct when you delve into how much of the donated money from some large charities actually gets to the end point and how much is wasted it makes my blood boil. I give no non-government funded local charities which rely on donated money to provide the fantastic services that they do, but along with the money I also give something equally as valuable which is some of my spare time doesn't cost me a thing but is precious to someone else.

Hi Sea Cruiser,

I haven't seen any other adverts. I know the Coca Cola dates are about to visit the truck. I think i would like to go and see it this year.

i'll keep a look out for Ikea. Is it sainsbury that usually have a good one too?

Terminator, answered my own question, and thank you

I have just been reading an article online about the different adverts released for 2015 and the cost of making them.

I have to agree with you, 7 million, 10 million?? what a huge expense

im a little lost for words.

They are so lovely to watch, and yes we enjoy them. But now it seems a little senseless. The story is there but it still comes down to the rich feeling richer. How does this make the people feel who the advert is about? Will it prompt others who can to make that difference to that lonely person??

My husband asked me if £400 was enough to spend on our 2 year old for Christmas, I can only say my reply was NOT 'yes dear'...ludicrous

Its still all about money money money.

Sorry but we don't like this years John Lewis advert. I know snowmen & penguins getting presents aren't real but a man living alone on a barren moon & getting a present by balloon is too unbelievable & doesn't even have the ah!! factor. Don't like the version of the song either.

Sorry but we don't like this years John Lewis advert. I know snowmen & penguins getting presents aren't real but a man living alone on a barren moon & getting a present by balloon is too unbelievable & doesn't even have the ah!! factor. Don't like the version of the song either.

I tried to post that earlier, I just done get it, its so unbelievable but then all the adverts are make believe but this one just makes me go huh?