Guest Solent Richard

Duncan Visits Mykonos

Guest Solent Richard

As members are probably aware Duncan, aka Dst87, is writing his own blog while cruising on Spendour of the Seas.

The day before yesterday he was in Mykonos and wrote an excellent piece which I'm sure he won't mind me placing a link to...

http://duncanwrites.co.uk/2014/11/mykonos-greece/

Keep up the good work Duncan, it's good to see an active cruise blogger.

Guest Solent Richard

Mykonos is a superb visit and, along with Ajaccio on Corsica, is probably the best places to just wander and do your own thing...

WelcometoMykonos_zps6ea78c96.jpg

I won't give too much away because i will probably write a'One Way to do Mykonos' in the coming months - certainly in time for next years cruising season.

In the meantime, a few pictures of the Mykonos Pelicans, though quite famous they seem to elude most visitors...

PelicanFeed_zps6fd2c9e4.jpg

PeterthePelican_zps4366d976.jpg

TwoPelicanswithSR_zps6b5dda77.jpg

So the pelicans are a bit like SR. We all just love fish.

We spent a week on Mykonos in Mykonos town and found the area around little Venice a total rip off, at times boarding on the criminal. One bar that didn't engage in these practices was Katerinas bar where Duncan spent some time. We had some lovely moments on the little balcony that he mentions where we watched two ladies fishing off of their balconies either side of the bar and catching a considerable amount.

The tiny streets are interesting to walk through and if any of you have the chance to be in port in the evening do your best to find a little restaurant called To Maereio, it opens at 6, doesn't take reservations but the food is to die for, honest Greek food made by Mums and Aunties.

One reputation the town has, especially in high season is for having quite a promiscuous club scene, that may explain why certain items are found discarded by the beach. We were there early May so it was much quieter.

Mykonos is worth an excursion but examine your restaurant bills in little Venice and in the big square where one of the pelicans hangs out.

GiGi

Not been to Mykonos - certainly on my list of places for the not too distant future. I jhave not been to many places in Greece - Just Corfu and Crete so will really look forward to a Greek Isles cruise

Our favourite island by far is Santorini but we did push the boat out and stay in a fantastic small hotel where the rooms are cliffside cave houses overlooking the caldera which makes it an amazing experience (especially if you are sat in a hot tub with a glass of champagne!)

Oia is the prettiest village and you will get those perfect Greek island photographs you see in the brochures. The family run tavernas are the best to eat in, because of the upmarket reputation Oia has some restaurants put on the airs and graces, charge the earth but fail to deliver.

The best taverna is on the roadside just before you get into the village called Animomilos, their Greek meatballs are off the scale and you must try the Islands speciality, tomato balls sometimes called fritters, I go misty eyed just thinking about them!!

I realise time on excursions is limited but Oia is lovey and if your cruise is just off high season you experience will be more comfortable and enjoyable.

GiGi