Sign in to follow this  
Guest Solent Richard

One Way To Do Vietnam

Guest Solent Richard

Sandwiched between two recent cruises was a journey through Vietnam. Most of the places visited were accessible from regular cruise port stops in Vietnam so those lucky enough to be heading in that direction may find this thread interesting.

Hanoi 

16016212941_d8dd7bf10c_z.jpg

15832140009_cddf738e60_z.jpg

15398550143_51db9cb5ea_z.jpg

Hoi An

16034682311_f42c2d5a68_z.jpg

15849362300_e40cd84434_z.jpg

Hue

15871188569_3a9c803fdf_z.jpg

16088869035_94e34e6fe8_z.jpg

Saigon

16051212535_1156aca01f_z.jpg

15863763088_29dcb6e36c_z.jpg

A full review of our itinerary can be found at...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com/2014/12/29/far-eastern-trilogy-part-2-good-morning-vietnam/

where there are many more photographs of this fascinating journey.

Guest Solent Richard

I love Vietnam. Your review and photos bring back happy memories. We were in Hanoi this year when we visited from Queen Elizabeth.

It is a fascinating country. I think it should be on everyone's wish list.  smile.png

I agree Maggieshoemou.

Though when I have completed the final part of the trilogy I'll be addressing that very issue - too many people now have it on their 'wish list'.

16034685751_264611c1f1_z.jpg

Guest 132LK132

Fascinating article Richard. I assume you are having a skit about complimentary Wifi, bottled water and a shirt after forking out almost £6000 each for the trip! Were flights at an additional cost or included!

I notice your description of the Temple of Literature is identical to the one given by a travel website! In fact many of your descriptions of your hotels can be found on other travel websites. Passing other folk's work off as your own! Tut tut!

You also must be congratulated for malapropism of the year. biggrin.png PADI fields versus Paddy Fields!blink.png What next, diving amongst the rice plants?tongue.png You never know, may produce more interesting pictures than those taken from a fish pond located elsewhere! Then again with your top of the range, best available on the market underwater device, anything could look a masterpiece.

post-1142-0-23806800-1419939760_thumb.jpg

post-1142-0-34345000-1419939813_thumb.jpg

post-1142-0-60425000-1419940391_thumb.jpg

Guest Solent Richard

Fascinating article Richard. I assume you are having a skit about complimentary Wifi, bottled water and a shirt after forking out almost £6000 each for the trip! Were flights at an additional cost or included!

I notice your description of the Temple of Literature is identical to the one given by a travel website! In fact many of your descriptions of your hotels can be found on other travel websites. Passing other folk's work off as your own! Tut tut!

You also must be congratulated for malapropism of the year. biggrin.png PADI fields versus Paddy Fields!blink.png What next, diving amongst the rice plants?tongue.png You never know, may produce more interesting pictures than those taken from a fish pond located elsewhere! Then again with your top of the range, best available on the market underwater device, anything could look a masterpiece.

Good morning LK.

I will remonstrate with my proof reader though I suspect we were a little wary of upsetting your Irish friend. I'm also quite sure that the hotels will be delighted that I used their 'professional' descriptions in amongst my own views and photographs. There is nothing wrong with using the internet for accuracy you know, especially when you are a busty traveller. wink.png wink.png

As I have mentioned to you somewhere else and some time ago, I'm always fascinated with the keen following I have and the effort some put into supporting me. Maybe if you make yourself known I can offer you some work.

Still, at least I know my stem from my stern.wink.png wink.png

Guest Solent Richard

PS to your question LK...."Fascinating article Richard. I assume you are having a skit about complimentary Wifi, bottled water and a shirt after forking out almost £6000 each for the trip! Were flights at an additional cost or included"!

Yes, the flights were included. Indeed, I was a very lucky boy. Despite my booking being made outside the 'offer date' APT very kindly extended their 'Partner Flies Free' programme to us. 

Of course, considerable savings could have been made by opting to go with APT's budget branded 'TravelMarvel' scheme and just done the Mekongsaigon and Siem Reap segment. That would have, however, excluded the full land tour and meant we would have sailed on the less stylish RV Marguerite...

16128548456_de6a140612_z.jpg

...which we spotted while on our two day stop  at Phnom Penh. 

But you'll have to wait a few days for that review. I have a busy social week ahead of me.

Why not sign up to 'Follow' the blog and be the first to hear of new posts...

http://solentrichardscruiseblog.com

Bottom left corner and join the 151 other followers.

Guest 132LK132

..............maybe if you make yourself known, I could offer you some work! .........................

What kind of work are we talking about!unsure.png I am always keen to take on additional work particularly if it is the sort that can earn me the bucks to allow me go on the kind of cruises that you and your lovely wife go on! At the moment I can only aspire to such thingssad.png .......... some day perhaps! For now I must be satisfied with an inside cabin on a 5 night cruise around the English channel on the Celebrity Eclipse in May.rolleyes.gif

I am sure, APT had not to give it a second thought when extending the 'partner flies free' offer to you and your good wife. A very wise decision on their part when having such a prestigious guest on board and the outstanding PR you afford them via your first class blog.

On tender hooks awaiting for the next episode.

You have a good New Year break. biggrin.png

Guest Solent Richard

Fascinating article Richard. ! Then again with your top of the range, best available on the market underwater device, anything could look a masterpiece.

Good morning LK.

You flatter me. My underwater equipment is  8/9 years old and now hardly 'top of the range'.

However, it would transpire that it is a good recommendation for making a reasonable investment in  equality product in the first instance. I'm a firm believer in 'you get what you pay for'.

But we digress from the Vietnam adventure.

Guest Solent Richard

What kind of work are we talking about!unsure.png I am always keen to take on additional work particularly if it is the sort that can earn me the bucks to allow me go on the kind of cruises that you and your lovely wife go on! At the moment I can only aspire to such thingssad.png .......... some day perhaps! For now I must be satisfied with an inside cabin on a 5 night cruise around the English channel on the Celebrity Eclipse in May.rolleyes.gif

I am sure, APT had not to give it a second thought when extending the 'partner flies free' offer to you and your good wife. A very wise decision on their part when having such a prestigious guest on board and the outstanding PR you afford them via your first class blog.

On tender hooks awaiting for the next episode.

You have a good New Year break. biggrin.png

Good morning again LK.

Well I thought with your eagle eye and attention to detail you could 'cast a glance' over any draft review that I may write in the future.

In return I could offer some tips on photography or even some of my stock shots of the Eclipse to enhance the review that we will all look forward to with baited breath.

You too have a good New Year. I'm sure we will chat again soon.

Guest Solent Richard

Here's a snap I took in Hoi An that may appeal to Maggieshoemou...

16010854616_62856e78b7_z.jpg

I realise they are actually mens shoes on display outside the shop but there were plenty of female options inside.

Meanwhile I'm more than happy to admit that I passed on this particular dish at the Cookery School we visited...

16035939022_c3c3154fe8_z.jpg

Guest Solent Richard

Hello, I am going to visit HCMC, I booked a Cu Chi - Cao Dai Temple tours, but I wonder that if I could enter the narrow tunnel, because I am quite big. 

Good afternoon Stephanie.

You don't look that big from your avatar photo.

I'll check out some of my photographs and come back to you.

Meanwhile the Cu Chi Tunnels are still a fascinating visit even if you don't get to do the tightest of the tunnels.

Guest Solent Richard

Good afternoon Stephanie.

You don't look that big from your avatar photo.

I'll check out some of my photographs and come back to you.

Meanwhile the Cu Chi Tunnels are still a fascinating visit even if you don't get to do the tightest of the tunnels.

Job done, always happy to oblige on the forum that gives you the answers...

24068283015_b6a7368d47_z.jpg

That's Solent Barbara emerging from one of the tunnel complexes.

Don't get confused with the often seen demonstration...

15863763088_29dcb6e36c_z.jpg

Yes, they do ask for a volunteer after the demonstration but usually pick on the dolly bird with the big boobs. wink.png biggrin.png

Your shoe photo reminds me of my recent trip to Margoa where the cobblers were all lined up outside the municipal building repairing shoes by hand, no machine to restitch the soles back on all done by hand(Rumour has it they would even re-sole flip flops if you asked them)