kerry304

Where To Buy The Best Cruise Dress!

Kerry Hi I live in Worcester and I found a Dress shop in Kingswinford, which I know is a bit of a distance from you, but I had two dresses made to measure at what i considered to be a reasonable price. There was a wide range of styles and colours to suit all tastes.

Anyway have a look at their Website they are called unique-dresses.co.uk and their address is 1a Park Street, Kingswinford,West Midlands, DY6 9LX Tel Phone 07813 801247. I am going back for a new one for our cruise in September.

I think I'm finally getting the message my wife has been trying to drum into me for all these years and that is that she has saved me a small fortune by designing and making her own clothes.  Another advantage being that she never has to worry about meeting someone wearing the same outfit.  If only I could find somewhere to hang my one suit!!!!!!

I'm with Mrs DavidH on this one, I always make my own dresses. I bought some fabulous glitzy material just before Christmas as this is the best time to buy sparkly stuff which cost me next to nothing compared to Phase Eight or Coast, I always make bits of changes to the pattern and can rest easy knowing that no one will be wearing the same outfit.

If you are not so handy with needle and thread you could always look for fabrics in your local fabric shop and they will almost certainly know at least a couple of dressmakers to make them up for you.  Obviously bit more expensive then making your own but cheaper than above mentioned companies and you can tailor them to your own design, any good dressmaker will be able to adapt a pattern.

I have bought a few dresses in Debenhams, but mostly on Ebay.

You must make sure if you order from Ebay and it is coming from China or the like give yourself plenty of time for it to arrive.

Check length as I have had to shorten two of my dresses I got, but I did contact one of the sellers and they said they could alter for me , good if you can't sew.

I never buy ready made formal long dresses. I have them made to measure. If you can find a dressmaker it is easy to get a dress made up and it will be different, and not the same as any other dress on board the ship.

Worth the effort and you get a one off dress. smile.png

My wife is always in Armstrong Mills, which is near us, as rhey have an alteration service as well as reasonably priced dresses. She tends to only wear them once as she thinks someone might remember it on her next cruise. Im thinking of starting up a dress agency

Keep a look out for what you like on line and keep an eye open as stores reduce now throughout the year. House of Fraser always has reductions many at great prices. One full length dress for my last cruise was reduced to £60 from £275. I was lucky of course it sold out quick but my size was one of the only ones left so I bought it fast. Just after Xmas Monsoon do a major sale often less that 30% of cost.

Guest MHRedhill

I'm with my friend Jenny. She is the best dressed lady I know. When she introduced me to ebay shopping I thought never in a zillion years but following her advice like her I've become very well togged out as my husband calls it. You have to invest time in it but soon you get into the gist of how to work it.

Recently I received an 'offer' from Queens Grill on Cunard for 28 days at a bargain price but bargain or not it cost me 200% as a single traveller. However I have my "price point" so I did my calculations and the cruise came in under budget plus after calculating on board spend I had £300 left for additional clothing items. Ebay provided 6 yes that is correct 6 new dresses, a girl can't repeat dresses (well they can but not if I can help it)  for that amount. How? I sold 6 dresses on ebay for £459 and bought 6 others for £367 OK a little over budget but lets forgive me that. Someone slipped them on for a few hours prior to me wearing them? OK why not. Many friends turn their noses up. Why if I bought a dress in the sales from a shop, how many folks may have tried it on? How is it different. Cruises and getting the opportunity to get dressed up is a great rationale, long let it continue

I'm with my friend Jenny. She is the best dressed lady I know. When she introduced me to ebay shopping I thought never in a zillion years but following her advice like her I've become very well togged out as my husband calls it. You have to invest time in it but soon you get into the gist of how to work it.

Recently I received an 'offer' from Queens Grill on Cunard for 28 days at a bargain price but bargain or not it cost me 200% as a single traveller. However I have my "price point" so I did my calculations and the cruise came in under budget plus after calculating on board spend I had £300 left for additional clothing items. Ebay provided 6 yes that is correct 6 new dresses, a girl can't repeat dresses (well they can but not if I can help it)  for that amount. How? I sold 6 dresses on ebay for £459 and bought 6 others for £367 OK a little over budget but lets forgive me that. Someone slipped them on for a few hours prior to me wearing them? OK why not. Many friends turn their noses up. Why if I bought a dress in the sales from a shop, how many folks may have tried it on? How is it different. Cruises and getting the opportunity to get dressed up is a great rationale, long let it continue

Reading this makes you think that the cruise lines are "missing a trick" by not having dress hire shops on board.