Sign in to follow this  
Guest Solent Richard

Israel Back On Cruise Ship Itineraries

Guest Solent Richard

Great news for cruisers from around the world and particularly those from the UK. 

Earlier this morning I noticed on a cruise ship tracker that Thomson Spirit was berthed in Ashdod which effectively opens more cruises to the Holy Land...

16950376176_bf76d7b685_z.jpg

16353965854_231a6d9bef_z.jpg

16974999432_815d50ae95_z.jpg

Israel is such a great place to visit and, given the right level of cruise ship, I'd be delighted to make another visit.

When I worked in Cyprus in 2000 I went on a mini cruise to Isreal and Egypt and if I am honest wasnt looking forward to the Israel part but how wrong I was

standing looking at the western wall, church of the nativity and gardens of gethsemane were mind blowing experiences.  I would certainly go again

Guest Solent Richard

When I worked in Cyprus in 2000 I went on a mini cruise to Isreal and Egypt and if I am honest wasnt looking forward to the Israel part but how wrong I was

standing looking at the western wall, church of the nativity and gardens of gethsemane were mind blowing experiences.  I would certainly go again

Know what you mean HTurtle. The Wailing Wall is also a must...

6809822498_fbc8db1c7b_z.jpg

I'm not sure I suited that skull cap though.biggrin.png biggrin.png

Guest 132LK132

Western Wall is how the Jewish community like to have it referred to nowadays.

Guest Solent Richard

Good morning 123LK (?)

While I admire the Jewish state I am not part of it and will therefore continue to use its more common name.

Bit like 'Bombay' really.biggrin.png biggrin.png

Guest Solent Richard

While I don't intend putting up this morning's screen shot I can assure members that Thomson Spirit was still berthed in Ashdod this morning.

That basically indicates that she was there for an over-nighter,

What a wonderful experience those passengers who have kept the faith with  Thomson must be having.

Hi  I agree the Middle East is an interesting area to visit and I have enjoyed my cruises visiting some of these countries, (Israel, Egypt, and Lebanon).  However, I hope that the conflicts in these regions subside but I wouldn't book a cruise to visit these ports as it is likely that many of these will be cancelled due to the up rise in trouble which always seems to occur.

AS you so rightly say Israel is a fantastic place to visit. We went there on a cruise many years ago but even then there were some no go areas for tourist.It will be interesting to see if any other cruise line will call there.

WE are due to call in at Tunis in September on the Oriana and I wonder if that will still be on the itinerary.

WE went to Israel many years ago on a cruise. It is a fantastic place to visit but even then there were no go areas for tourist. I wonder if any other cruise lines will visit there.

WE are due to visit Tunis on the Oriana in September. I wonder if that will still be on the itinerary.

Guest 132LK132

My goodness Richard 'Bombay' now I don't believe for one moment you abide by that because on reading your excellent blog you refer to Kotor and Montenegro - surely if you did not progress and adopt modern day nomenclature you would refer to the country as Yugoslavia. I also have noticed when you have referred to St Petersburg you also mention Russia and not the USSR. Not when completing your Clara Schumann cruise I am sure you didn't dare differentiate between FRG and DDR when in Berlin!

On the subject of nomenclature, I see you struggle with I user name - Let me introduce yourself - Hi Richard, I'm Les!

I asked you about suggestions for tours on my partner Chris and mine forthcoming Eclipse cruise, and it is getting close now, I did not see a response or alternative suggestions from you. Any thoughts and ideas would be gratefully appreciated. 

When I visited Israel 2 years ago it was the highlight of the cruise. Starting our tour in Ashdod we moved swiftly to Jaffa an area that goes back to antiquity before progressing into Haifa and Tel Aviv. What a beautiful city with its mix of old and new, the wonderful parks and not forgetting lunch in the old quarter by the sea. Anyone who misses the opportunity is really missing an interesting area of the world.

Guest Solent Richard

When I visited Israel 2 years ago it was the highlight of the cruise. Starting our tour in Ashdod we moved swiftly to Jaffa an area that goes back to antiquity before progressing into Haifa and Tel Aviv. What a beautiful city with its mix of old and new, the wonderful parks and not forgetting lunch in the old quarter by the sea. Anyone who misses the opportunity is really missing an interesting area of the world.

Oh I couldn't agree with you more OldWorldTraveller: even if it was on Thomson.

Guest Solent Richard

My goodness Richard 'Bombay' now I don't believe for one moment you abide by that because on reading your excellent blog you refer to Kotor and Montenegro - surely if you did not progress and adopt modern day nomenclature you would refer to the country as Yugoslavia. I also have noticed when you have referred to St Petersburg you also mention Russia and not the USSR. Not when completing your Clara Schumann cruise I am sure you didn't dare differentiate between FRG and DDR when in Berlin!

On the subject of nomenclature, I see you struggle with I user name - Let me introduce yourself - Hi Richard, I'm Les!

I asked you about suggestions for tours on my partner Chris and mine forthcoming Eclipse cruise, and it is getting close now, I did not see a response or alternative suggestions from you. Any thoughts and ideas would be gratefully appreciated. 

Hello Les.

Now is that male as in Leslie or Female as in Lesley I wonder. Being a trifle old fashioned I tend to gender orientate my conversations. Even more confusing when one has a partner named Chris. wink.png wink.png

I can't agree with you on my use of modern day nomenclature. Your quotes all refer to countries which when names change are a different kettle of fish to cities. I'm sure you would agree now that I have brought this to your attention.

As regards suggestions on what to do on your forthcoming cruise on Eclipse I'd suggest that as you are so well acquainted with my blog then I would suggest you use the excellent search engine. 

Now, back to topic.

Guest Solent Richard

Good afternoon OWT.

I see Thomson Spirit sailed from Ashdod yesterday following her overnight stop and is today in Limassol. 

MaggieMou no doubt would be there to welcome member friends to the island of Aphrodite.

Lots of positives here about visiting Israel, and there is no doubt that this is a desirable destination.

What do you say about safety in a country where a former Army Chief of Staff stated that every Israeli citizen is a "front line soldier".

What you can say is that the security situation has existed for decades and will continue for decades, so whenever one visits there will be an element of risk.

For me this is an acceptable risk given the quality of places to visit, but my personal "risk assessments" would be to avoid public transport, and choose restaurants carefully.

For cruise lines I think that there is an onus on them to make passengers aware of the very detailed Foreign Office guidelines, and unfortunately for this to be done properly it would need more than popping a leaflet in the cabin.

Hi we were there last October on Celebrity a Equinox at the end of the troubles at that time, we were safe but ship was not berthed at cruise terminal but in middle of industrial docks both in Ashdod and Haifa, worth it though, wonderful country with rich history