Starboard

Is Cruising The Caribbean In Summer A Good Idea?

Hi everyone, new to the forum and fairly new to cruising so forgive my inexperience. I've cruised twice before but both times a few years ago now, once with P&O and once with Royal Caribbean. I am one of the many people in the world that are tied to school holiday restrictions due to my family and wondered if anyone had cruised to the Caribbean in summer? 

I've been to the Caribbean before but only ever during the winter months as it was the ideal winter getaway. Now though I'm looking at potential tying in a cruise with Orlando and wondered if anyone had experience of this in the past?

Looking for advice on weather, humidity, sea conditions as well as good cruise lines to recommend. It's easy to find information online but I prefer to hear other people's advice that have actually experienced this type of holiday rather than going on the wonderful words of the brochures.

Any advice would be welcomesmile.png

Hi Starboard, welcome to the forum.

I haven't cruised the Caribbean in summer but I have enjoyed a few land based holidays there at that time as I too am restricted to the dreaded school holiday dates. A few years ago I did Miami for 4 nights, Marco Island for 3 nights in Florida and then traveled to Grand Cayman for a week. We had a great time but be warned, it is extremely warm and humid at that time of year as you would expect. It is classed as hurricane season and when we were in Florida, we were fortunate enough to land a week after they had suffered quite a bad one so thankfully we missed it but for the majority we had excellent weather apart from the usual crashing rain storms once a day that lasted for around 30-45 minutes before the blue skies re-emerged.

As for cruise lines, I have looked at similar itineraries myself but more for the future as my daughter is still very young at the moment. It was just more out of curiosity. Royal Caribbean seem to do some good packages out there including Disney and Universal hotels for a cruise and stay holiday. The cruises sail from Port Canaveral, Miami and Fort Lauderdale I think so a good choice. Other than that I've seen some options with NCL in the past too.

Hi  I have cruised in the Caribbean at many times of the year including the summer (the peak season is considered from Dec to April).  The temperatures do not vary much throughout the year but you can expect more rain in summer which is usually very heavy downpours and the ground soon dries up (note this does not apply to the rainforests which have very frequent afternoon rain). If you are concerned about rain the southern Caribbean islands are drier (these cruises often visit Aruba, Bonaire etc)  and these islands are much more barren than the lush greenery found on those further north.  The Caribbean coast of Mexico is especially hot in summer and the humidity high.  The hurricane season is considered to last June to December but they can occur outside this time scale.  Hurricanes are not a problem on cruise ships it they are predicted the cruise line will alter their itinerary to miss the worst of the weather.

Thanks a lot. My kids would love it, I know they would but I just don't want to book something that's going to be stifling in the summer but such is the dreaded school holidays curse, we have to stay within these times. I've got my eye on a few different cruises as well now though.

I would agree with Land Ahoy though, the downpours certainly hit hard when they come at that time of year but we found it entertaining a lot of the time. It was almost a game at times of how quick you can get undercover. it's amazing how quick the skies change from sunshine to bucketing rain then back to sunshine, often within the space of 10-15 minutes.

The worst I found was the humidity. The rain you can shelter from but the humidity stays with you.

Completely agree OWT, the rain is actually enjoyable at times in an attempt to cool off. A holiday here at this time can still be lovely but expect the humidity to get you as it always does. Walking off the plane it will hit you straight away.

A lot of people shy away from the Caribbean in the summer, a few years ago I had some of the best weather I have ever had in July in St Lucia and would recommend it, I did find it a  little hotter than normal so would suggest a higher sun factor lotion than you would normally go for as there were many lobsters on the beach!!