Barry

Dress Codes on Celebrity

Ok so I have a 14 night cruise coming up with Celebrity and I have recently read a few reviews that claim dress codes are not being enforced by the staff. Is that correct and has anybody recently sailed with Celebrity?

Thanks, Barry

Also people are claiming it's not 5 star, it's slightly worrying what I've read after booking an expensive cabin.

There are good reviews also and from the pictures I see it certainly looks like a great ship.

Suppose it's just a case of you can't please everybody  :unsure:

Which ship are you sailing on Barry?

Celebrity are a great brand, last year I sailed on Reflection and there were no problems with dress code and they are definitely worthy of 5 stars. 

Thanks Tom. We are sailing to the Mediterranean on Eclipse (8th September), first time with Celebrity. I did a little more reading last night and I'm sure we'll be fine, it was highly recommended by our agent.

You'll be fine Barry. Celebrity have great staff and good service, and we have made lifelong friends we met on board.

We found most people did make the effort to dress up for the evening, but at the end of the day it is up to you how formal or informal you want to go within the guidelines

I've done Eclipse to Norway and Baltic in the last couple of years and the dress code was well observed. I would say that on formal nights at least 90% of men were in either dark suits or dinner jackets.

I understand that on "warmer" trips the code is not quite so closely followed, and that they are more relaxed when the ship is not leaving from the UK.

Not sure how much that helps you, but I would always dress up if the ship's code stipulates it.

Just realised that this reply is too late as you will have already been, but thought I'd leave it on in case it helps anyone else.

Hope you had as good a time on Eclipse as I did. We are on it again next year !

Went through Panama Canal in April 13 on the Infinity, bit disappointed with the dress code not being enforced a little annoyed that taking a tux and evening attire over the pond and some others that could not be bothered when they only had to travel within there own country, I will leave it at that...............

We have taken two trips on the Eclipse over the last 12 months (Eastern Med and Norway) and on both cruises the dress code was observed by the majority. There will always be people who use the buffet on formal nights to avoid having to dress up. On the Med cruise the people in the next cabin had dinner on the balcony every night!

Been on the Eclipse a couple of times and never had a problem with the dress code, although there will always be a few who don't want to do it on principal. But these are a small minority . On both occasions we sailed on her , we had a great time, the food and service was great, and there were always people cleaning the ship. We would certainly class her as a five star ship.

Ok so I have a 14 night cruise coming up with Celebrity and I have recently read a few reviews that claim dress codes are not being enforced by the staff. Is that correct and has anybody recently sailed with Celebrity?

Thanks, Barry

I sailed on Eclipse in May this year and thoroughly enjoyed it. When we sailed the dress codes were mostly adhered to, but are relatively relaxed anyway.

We found mostly smart-casual (where smart jeans and a shirt are acceptable) with the off formal night (where a suit is required).  Many wore tuxedos and the ship certainly had a different feel on formal nights, as you would hope.

I expect you'll thoroughly enjoy your cruise on Eclipse.  I wrote a review of her on my blog which you're welcome to read if you want a little taster.  The blog itself has plenty of photos too, although much of it related to the itinerary.

If you are sailing on Eclipse out of Southampton, then the dress code will be nearly 100% adhered too.

Only problem I see ( which has already been mentioned ), our cousins from across the pond do have a completely different take on adhering to dress codes.

Regards

Bryn.

Have sailed on Reflection a couple of times, and was surprised at the number of male passengers not even wearing a tie on formal nights. When I looked closer at the dress code for formal nights, it only specified jackets - no mention of ties.

Not as bad as a recent river cruise on Viking Tor, which I accept is a more informal experience, but on the captain's welcome cocktail night there were a number of men still in their shorts and t-shirts. Is it me?

Royo

We were on the Eclipse Transatlantic in May this year and the dress code was adhered to in the main dining rooms. A few went to theatre in shorts! But these probably had their evening meal in the buffet. We have just returned from a Transpacific on the Solstice and the same applied. However, there were fewer men in tux though many wore suit and tie. As Elite members we went to the Captains Club drinks party each evening and all men wore long trousers - would have been turned away otherwise! Ladies do seem to be wearing cocktail rather than long dresses for formal evenings. Hope this helps

E