Sign in to follow this  
Guest Solent Richard

Passenger Cleared Of Thomson Assault

Guest Solent Richard

On Friday the daily mail reported that a cruise passenger who had been accused of assaulting two other passengers was cleared by a jury at Teeside...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-3053221/Cruise-diner-cleared-GBH-argument-two-elderly-passengers-rudeness-dinner-table.html

The Daily Mail had in fact been following the case during the week and despite  some glaring journalistic errors being  made in their reporting - '...but their night on the luxury liner...' (Thomson Celebration a luxury liner?) - I thought the case raised a number of interesting issues.

The first, and probably most serious, was that the accused passenger was put off the ship at the next port.

The second being what on earth is going on on Thomson ship's when passengers 'snub' solo travellers who join their table for dinner? 

The second issue is of course open to plenty of speculation but the first does, in my view, raise the issue that Thomson, having 'removed' the accused passenger off the ship, and he now being found 'Not Guilty' by a jury, be under any obligation to refund, and compensate, that passenger.

Thomson Celebration...

15347927600_81dccc221e_z.jpg

This looks like a case of a "drink induced" problem that got out of hand.

I doubt that the "not guilty" verdict will automatically lead to compensation.

In a criminal court the onus is on the prosecution to prove the case, and the benefit of the doubt goes to the defendant.

If the man now sues Thomson the onus of proof will be on him.

Guest Solent Richard

This looks like a case of a "drink induced" problem that got out of hand.

I doubt that the "not guilty" verdict will automatically lead to compensation.

In a criminal court the onus is on the prosecution to prove the case, and the benefit of the doubt goes to the defendant.

If the man now sues Thomson the onus of proof will be on him.

An interesting view Wheels.

But the fact remains that the jury believed the accused against the couple who initially snubbed the guy.

Altogether an interesting scenario that I have never encountered: at least on initially joining a table.

When visiting my spa, solo guests are invited to share a large table with other solo guests, or dine by themselves if they so choose, not to join any other table.  I appreciate that on board with a large table, it should not be a problem to seat a solo traveller on that table.  It sounds like the couple were aggrieved and too mean to allow someone to share their table, but there is no excuse for bad manners and violence. I don't think he should have been put off at the next port, when no-one knew the truth of the matter, and is entitled to some compensation. 

When visiting my spa, solo guests are invited to share a large table with other solo guests, or dine by themselves if they so choose, not to join any other table.  I appreciate that on board with a large table, it should not be a problem to seat a solo traveller on that table.  It sounds like the couple were aggrieved and too mean to allow someone to share their table, but there is no excuse for bad manners and violence. I don't think he should have been put off at the next port, when no-one knew the truth of the matter, and is entitled to some compensation.

I thought that it was probably more likely that the other couples were chatting away and oblivious to the solo passenger being ignored, and that alcohol fuelled paranoia provoked an incident later in the evening. The cruise line were probably acting on the basis of the whole thing, while the court were only interested in whether an assault was beyond reasonable doubt.