wheels36

Euphemisms

It is a while since Sir Humphrey Appleby amused us with euphemisms such as "frank discussion" (slanging match) or "courageous decision" (broccoli-up), but we all use them as part of normal conversation to soften our words (e.g. "passed away", "pre-owned", "senior citizens", etc).

The words "cuddly and convivial" are viewed more appropriate to describe someone than "obese and drunk", though everyone knows exactly what is being described.

Most people (though not all) are more likely to be careful of what they write as opposed to what they say, as in the latter case remarks taken out of context can easily be corrected.

Sometimes there are quite a few people logged in to the forum with relative small forum activity, yet if the same people were sat around a dinner table the conversation would no doubt be fluid.

Could it be that the increased use of a softer tone, particularly on contentious issues, would increase forum activity?

Guest Solent Richard

It is a while since Sir Humphrey Appleby amused us with euphemisms such as "frank discussion" (slanging match) or "courageous decision" (broccoli-up), but we all use them as part of normal conversation to soften our words (e.g. "passed away", "pre-owned", "senior citizens", etc).

The words "cuddly and convivial" are viewed more appropriate to describe someone than "obese and drunk", though everyone knows exactly what is being described.

Most people (though not all) are more likely to be careful of what they write as opposed to what they say, as in the latter case remarks taken out of context can easily be corrected.

Sometimes there are quite a few people logged in to the forum with relative small forum activity, yet if the same people were sat around a dinner table the conversation would no doubt be fluid.

Could it be that the increased use of a softer tone, particularly on contentious issues, would increase forum activity?

Good morning Wheels.

Not really sure where you get the 'contentious issues' from.

Forums by their very nature are about 'debate'.

A 'softer tone' - whatever that may mean - may discourage debate and lead to a stagnated forum.

The great thing about this forum is that members only feel the need to comment when a subject or issue is of interest to them and fortunately refrain from all the drivel seen on one or two other forums.

Particularly good on here is the 'Like This' button. Simple to use and eliminates the necessity to read through a multitude of worthless 'back slapping' comments.

Never mind the number of comments; feel the quality. wink.png wink.png  

Good morning Wheels36,

If you look on the large forums you will see that at any given time there are numerous people signed in but few taking part. On the UK's largest cruise forum a few moments ago there were 1057 users on line, 267 members and 790 guests and only about 15 actually posting. Quite often members just like to come on a forum and read the various posts. Experience shows that the more contentious a post becomes the more people take part. Personally I prefer to sit on the sidelines and just be amused by the content but not everyone is like me.

OWT

Guest Solent Richard

Good morning Wheels36,

If you look on the large forums you will see that at any given time there are numerous people signed in but few taking part. On the UK's largest cruise forum a few moments ago there were 1057 users on line, 267 members and 790 guests and only about 15 actually posting. Quite often members just like to come on a forum and read the various posts. Experience shows that the more contentious a post becomes the more people take part. Personally I prefer to sit on the sidelines and just be amused by the content but not everyone is like me.

OWT

And of course, there are those on that forum that actually do spend all day on it: it is their lifeblood.

Thank God that's not the routine on here.

Quality not quantity.

PS. OldWorldTraveller, I think you will find that the owners of that site doctored the way 'online' members are shown from 'actually' being on line (as per Bolsover and another two smaller forums) to 'members online over a 24 hour period'. 

My guess it was done to avoid the embarrassment of low actual numbers and when members complained their complaints were conveniently ignored.

PPS. I bet your Grandson was pleased with Chelsea's result yesterday.

Good morning Wheels.

Not really sure where you get the 'contentious issues' from.

Forums by their very nature are about 'debate'.

A 'softer tone' - whatever that may mean - may discourage debate and lead to a stagnated forum.

The great thing about this forum is that members only feel the need to comment when a subject or issue is of interest to them and fortunately refrain from all the drivel seen on one or two other forums.

Particularly good on here is the 'Like This' button. Simple to use and eliminates the necessity to read through a multitude of worthless 'back slapping' comments.

Never mind the number of comments; feel the quality. wink.png wink.png

Good morning SR,

A "softer tone" is a euphemism, an essential tool in commercial situations.

For example the project manager of a cruise ship under construction may write in a report that the budget is "financially challenged", rather than the more direct "we are seriously overspent", so as to stop "hares running".

My point is not to discourage debate but to widen it, for example a reply of "could you elucidate" would be more likely to keep the thread running than a reply of "I think that is ridiculous".

I do not think that everyone does comment on issues that they have an opinion on, but maybe others could profess an opinion on this point to confirm or otherwise.

Good morning Wheels36,

OWT

Good morning OWT,

I take your point about the number of people logged in on larger forums, and obviously the stronger the issue the heavier the traffic will be on the thread. However,I think that there is a bit more to the argument than that.

There are some posts that are benign, and generate early but not necessarily sustained activity, and I would argue the reason being that the responder does not feel the necessity to carefully choose their words.

Guest Solent Richard

Good morning OWT,

I take your point about the number of people logged in on larger forums, and obviously the stronger the issue the heavier the traffic will be on the thread. However,I think that there is a bit more to the argument than that.

There are some posts that are benign, and generate early but not necessarily sustained activity, and I would argue the reason being that the responder does not feel the necessity to carefully choose their words.

Hi Wheels.

I see what you mean and this may be a suggestion for an improvement; with the Administrations acquiescence (aka Soft Tone Euphemism) of course.

I have for some time wrestled with your highlighted problem and I actually believe that it stems from the fact that the 'Recent Topics' list box is not big enough and should possibly have double the number of 'recent' topics.

Below it, the 'Recent Status Updates' is, in my opinion,  (aka Soft Tone Euphemism) is pretty pointless.

There is an acre of space on the right hand side of the home page for extending 'recent topics' and keeping them in the public eye.

Hope that helps.

Richard

I believe that there is a place for euphemisms in forums such as this where writers comment on commonly held interests without actually being 'friends'. it is so very easy to offend others with the use of more direct language - "didn't you think John was a real tight-wad on that last cruise?" (I noticed that John has become quite careful with his money recently) - and that is where the euphemism comes into its own.

Yes, we all know what's being hinted at and access to those little emoticons can soften harsh language, but I believe we have a duty of politeness towards one another.

Viva the Euphemism!

Sorry wheels36, I didn't actually respond to the question you asked, did I?

I'm not convinced that softer tones would increase forum activity. I'm tempted to suggest the opposite might be true. Our world has become a place where disrespect for others is seen as a medal to wear with pride and it wouldn't surprise me in the least to discover that confrontation could become a magnet for such offenders.

Guest Solent Richard

I believe that there is a place for euphemisms in forums such as this where writers comment on commonly held interests without actually being 'friends'. it is so very easy to offend others with the use of more direct language - "didn't you think John was a real tight-wad on that last cruise?" (I noticed that John has become quite careful with his money recently) - and that is where the euphemism comes into its own.

Yes, we all know what's being hinted at and access to those little emoticons can soften harsh language, but I believe we have a duty of politeness towards one another.

Viva the Euphemism!

Sorry wheels36, I didn't actually respond to the question you asked, did I?

I'm not convinced that softer tones would increase forum activity. I'm tempted to suggest the opposite might be true. Our world has become a place where disrespect for others is seen as a medal to wear with pride and it wouldn't surprise me in the least to discover that confrontation could become a magnet for such offenders.

Couldn't agree more Embo.

I would only add that a lot of cruise forum confrontation is however generated out of envy and usually begins with 'snide' remarks.

And of course, substituting the odd euphemism isn't always in the posters general ability.

Guest suespud

Viva the Euphemism!

I couldn’t agree with you more it is so easy to offend when that isn’t the intention..... however some posters write "veiled" comments that only have meaning to those they are baiting and harassing, the rest of the forum don’t see it but it usually gets the response they want and the person being targeted is ridiculed for defending themselves, sad but true.

I couldn’t agree with you more it is so easy to offend when that isn’t the intention..... however some posters write "veiled" comments that only have meaning to those they are baiting and harassing, the rest of the forum don’t see it but it usually gets the response they want and the person being targeted is ridiculed for defending themselves, sad but true.

Hi Sue,

I think that everyone will be aware that you are referring to the "etiquette" issue.

One of the positives of language is that what people say in direct conversation and the way that they say it combine effectively, but a forum is down to interpretation by the recipient.

We see a similar effect to this daily on the roads when a driver "cuts you up", but would that same driver barge past you in a queue for a lift, I think not.

Forums have different personalities and allowance has to be made for that, and there is no doubt that comments would often be retrieved by the writer if that were possible. Yesterday I think that David H said sorry for a comment after a few glasses of wine, and I think that we have all been there.

With regards to the particular comment that upset you it is important to note that it was not a personal criticism of you (i.e. not drawing any conclusion about your personality), but a comment about something you said, and there lies a world of difference.

Guest suespud

Hi Sue,I think that everyone will be aware that you are referring to the "etiquette" issue.One of the positives of language is that what people say in direct conversation and the way that they say it combine effectively, but a forum is down to interpretation by the recipient.We see a similar effect to this daily on the roads when a driver "cuts you up", but would that same driver barge past you in a queue for a lift, I think not.Forums have different personalities and allowance has to be made for that, and there is no doubt that comments would often be retrieved by the writer if that were possible. Yesterday I think that David H said sorry for a comment after a few glasses of wine, and I think that we have all been there.With regards to the particular comment that upset you it is important to note that it was not a personal criticism of you (i.e. not drawing any conclusion about your personality), but a comment about something you said, and there lies a world of difference.

Hi Wheels

Actually no the “etiquette” issue never entered my head, I say what I have to say and move on......I certainly wasn’t upset by it.

I am very outspoken and will say what I think but one thing I am not is cruel...... nor do I bait or harass or make veiled comments, I think you missed my point I wasn’t referring to myself personally but generally to what I have witnessed here and elsewhere with regard to others.

I will always make allowances for the written word and personal criticism I have no problem with, what I will not make allowances for is downright nastiness, I think most members would agree with that, it isn’t necessary.

Euphemisms?  A velvet fist in an iron glove. Because no matter how 'nice and polite' something is couched, most people know what is being conveyed.  However, one doesn't have to take things on board and make retaliatory comments.  I don't agree that comments stem from envy, but I do think that responses are made when aspersions are cast upon another's choice of cruiseline and ship, with the inference that that person is of a lower class. That is the sort of thing which upsets people, but the best way to deal with those sort of comments is not to vigorously defend one's choice but to ignore and refuse to justify crass and unnecessary divisive remarks. I am also of the opinion that a great many people will not post because they fear they could be ridiculed and targeted by the more domineering members of a forum. 

Guest Solent Richard

Good afternoon Spud.

Do you think there is a connection between using a euphemism and an innuendo?

I do, and it's my interpretation that an innuendo tends to be a bit more personal.

I'll await your answer while I 'mull' over my next question while I enjoy an internet free weekend.

wink.png wink.png

Guest Solent Richard

Good afternoon Wheels.

In answer to your question, in simple terms no.

This thread has been running for 12 days and has had just 6 members responding.

This is a cruise Forum that is slowly growing to be the one that offers the best advice to those seeking it from those who have the experience.

ohmy.png ohmy.png

Guest suespud

Good afternoon Spud.

Do you think there is a connection between using a euphemism and an innuendo?

I do, and it's my interpretation that an innuendo tends to be a bit more personal.

I'll await your answer while I 'mull' over my next question while I enjoy an internet free weekend.

;) ;)

Good Evening Solent Richard...

What I think is irrelevant, how you choose to interpret them is entirely up to you but if you need a little help this is what wiki says.

A euphemism is a polite expression used in place of words or phrases that otherwise might be considered harsh or unpleasant to hear.

An innuendo is an insinuation or intimation about a person or thing, especially of a disparaging or a derogatory nature. It can also be a remark or question, typically disparaging (also called insinuation), that works obliquely by allusion.

I trust you will find this helpful.

Have a nice weekend.....Mine is just starting...

Guest Solent Richard

Good Evening Solent Richard...

What I think is irrelevant, how you choose to interpret them is entirely up to you but if you need a little help this is what wiki says.

A euphemism is a polite expression used in place of words or phrases that otherwise might be considered harsh or unpleasant to hear.

An innuendo is an insinuation or intimation about a person or thing, especially of a disparaging or a derogatory nature. It can also be a remark or question, typically disparaging (also called insinuation), that works obliquely by allusion.

I trust you will find this helpful.

Have a nice weekend.....Mine is just starting...

Good afternoon Spud.

I must disagree with you on this. What you think is very relevant. Why else would you have made your original statement.

Thank you for confirming what wiki says. It wasn't really necessary as I had already said I knew the difference.

Good to see we are making progress. (euphemism for 'digging a hole' maybe?)

wink.png wink.png

Oh, PS. My weekend was outstanding. Saints 6 -1 thrashing of Aston Villa at St Mary's Saturday, Arlesford Watercress Festival early Sunday morning and Bristol Rovers lifting the Vanarama Trophy at Wembley in the afternoon.

Guest suespud

Good afternoon Spud.

I must disagree with you on this. What you think is very relevant. Why else would you have made your original statement.

Thank you for confirming what wiki says. It wasn't really necessary as I had already said I knew the difference.

Good to see we are making progress. (euphemism for 'digging a hole' maybe?)

;) ;)

Oh, PS. My weekend was outstanding. Saints 6 -1 thrashing of Aston Villa at St Mary's Saturday, Arlesford Watercress Festival early Sunday morning and Bristol Rovers lifting the Vanarama Trophy at Wembley in the afternoon.

Good Afternoon Solent Richard,

And I must disagree with you, I think I am better placed than you are to know what is/isn’t relevant to me, you asked a question I gave a reply but just to reiterate..... how you choose to interpret something is entirely up to you.

I’m sure you have been around forums long enough to understand what I meant in my original post...... and no doubt will have seen many instances of such behaviour.

As for digging holes.....yes I did plant a few things at the weekend, but it was more shoving soil to one side..no digging involved.

Good to hear we both had outstanding weekends.

Guest Solent Richard

Good Afternoon Solent Richard,

And I must disagree with you, I think I am better placed than you are to know what is/isn’t relevant to me, you asked a question I gave a reply but just to reiterate..... how you choose to interpret something is entirely up to you.

I’m sure you have been around forums long enough to understand what I meant in my original post...... and no doubt will have seen many instances of such behaviour.

As for digging holes.....yes I did plant a few things at the weekend, but it was more shoving soil to one side..no digging involved.

Good to hear we both had outstanding weekends.

Wow, what an exciting weekend you had. (excuse the euphemism)  

biggrin.png biggrin.png

I don't know the difference between a euphemism and an innuendo..

But I do recognise pi$$taking (sarcasm) when I see it....biggrin.png biggrin.png

You cannot beat calling a spade a spade. nice one Terminatorwink.png