caerglowhill

Smoking On Balcony

I totally agree about the smoking though Royal Carribean still allow it on balconies on one side of the ship and you have to specifically ask when you are reserving to make sure you get the smoke free side. Apparently it varies from ship to ship which side they use.

I totally agree about the smoking though Royal Carribean still allow it on balconies on one side of the ship and you have to specifically ask when you are reserving to make sure you get the smoke free side. Apparently it varies from ship to ship which side they use.

Pleased P & O are prohibiting smoking on cabin balconies, just as you settle to admire the view with glass of wine and feeling all is well, next door decides to smoke,any one with breathing problems have to suffer, and move inside to avoid the problem.

Really agree with this, just back from a Venice cruise on Arcadia and felt well and truly kippered by the smoke from next door. As an asthmatic I was forced to go back into the cabin every time another cigarette was lit, not too special when you have paid extra for a balcony to experience the sail in to Venice. Jojo.

As a smoker I have now decided that it would be better just to pack it up. easier said than done but have reduced down to just 6 a day and plan to stop completely, are there any other cruising smokers trying to do same.  I have decided that the money I save could pay for another cruise, and trying to find places to smoke, I feel, is now a lost fight.

Keep it going showgirl. I did it thirty years ago. Now I don't want anyone else's fag smoke in or around me. Honestly you won't regret it .dread to think how much a pack of twenty costs now. Better to lose the fight trying to find a place to puff rather than lose the ultimate fight because of a smoking related disease.

We had given up booking cabins with balconies as we were sick of second hand smoke, which often infiltrated into the cabin itself. I do think P and O need to look some more at its smoking policy. On a world cruise on Oriana smoking was a real annoyance. We suffered from it on the promenade deck- P and O suggest you 'walk a mile with a smile', but you have to walk through all the smokers on one side every time. Also although they try and segregate smoking to only one side of the ship, it was allowed on the OTHER side too on the pool deck, as customers of one of the cafés had complained. On a windy day (of which there were many, crossing the Pacific) the self service restaurant was badly affected by smoke. In fact the Oriana was the worst ship from a second hand smoke problem that I have ever been on. Whilst I realise smokers need somewhere to go, I think P and O need to do what some other cruise lines have done, and have one separate smoking room, so the non-smokers do not have to suffer.

We had given up booking cabins with balconies as we were sick of second hand smoke, which often infiltrated into the cabin itself. I do think P and O need to look some more at its smoking policy. On a world cruise on Oriana smoking was a real annoyance. We suffered from it on the promenade deck- P and O suggest you 'walk a mile with a smile', but you have to walk through all the smokers on one side every time. Also although they try and segregate smoking to only one side of the ship, it was allowed on the OTHER side too on the pool deck, as customers of one of the cafés had complained. On a windy day (of which there were many, crossing the Pacific) the self service restaurant was badly affected by smoke. In fact the Oriana was the worst ship from a second hand smoke problem that I have ever been on. Whilst I realise smokers need somewhere to go, I think P and O need to do what some other cruise lines have done, and have one separate smoking room, so the non-smokers do not have to suffer.

Ah! But what about the poor staff who would have work there? :(

cheers

Harvey

Could someone tell me how cigarette smoke gets into an adjoining cabin? when the balcony door is meant to be kept closed so the air-conditioning can work effectively. as for smoking on the starboard side promenade, when the ship is at sea is there not at least on average a 16knot breeze from the ships forward motion plus trillions of litres of air flowing past? everyone must have a very keen sense of smell,it's a wonder they don't complain about the ship's exhaust emission's at night, you should see what come's out of the exhaust funnel's.

Good morning Ron,

I will try and answer your questions. First of all, especially when in port or at anchor people with balcony cabins tend to have their balcony doors open. On many ships when you open these doors it turns off the air conditioning. As for the wind caused by the ships forward motion this depends on wind direction and speed. With a following wind this can cause a still air situation. Finally the fumes from the tubes in the ships funnel are filtered on modern ships so there is in fact no smell. I agree on older ships this does not apply.

OWT.

Good morning OWT,

I take your point's onboard, except for the fume's from the funnels, especially on the P&O Ventura as this was quite bad when we were onboard 2 week's ago in the Caribbean.Hope you have a pleasant day. Ron.

I have to say that i for one am pleased about the smoking ban on balconies, we were on Ventura last year and every time we opened the balcony doors we had to shut them again. So for us having smokers next door ment we were not able to use our balcony. Just hope that it doesnt happen again when we are on Azura in 11 days time (not that i'm counting)