caerglowhill

Smoking On Balcony

Hi showgirl.

You have given the answer in your own post. People do not like breathing in YOUR smoke. It really doesn't matter that it is filtered at all. What about the unfiltered smoke that comes off the cigarette itself before any inhaling. That is direct from the tobacco in the cigarette, cigar or pipe. It's no only unhealthy it stinks and the foul smell gets everywhere.

i think for non smokers as well its very easy to smell the smoke as they arnt used to it, i can smell smoke in a room long after someone has smoked in it, i can even smell when someone is smoking on thr groud floor in my thrid floor flat if we both have the windows open. i think if we walked into a cabin and previous passengers had smoked on thier balcony or it had blown in from next door, we would be able to smell it as we are never around it.

i think for non smokers as well its very easy to smell the smoke as they arnt used to it, i can smell smoke in a room long after someone has smoked in it, i can even smell when someone is smoking on thr groud floor in my thrid floor flat if we both have the windows open. i think if we walked into a cabin and previous passengers had smoked on thier balcony or it had blown in from next door, we would be able to smell it as we are never around it.

I tend to agree with you PipPip. When I was a smoker, some 25 years ago, I never noticed the smell of stale smoke whereas these days I find it very noticeable when I meet someone who has just had a fag.

When staying in Chester once, I had to change hotel rooms because the previous occupier(s) were smoking in it. When I arrived the stale smoke smell was awful. I opened the windows and the housemaid sprayed the room but when I came back it was still dreadful so I got another room. Stale smoke is really quite pungent and obnoxious. :(

cheers

Harvey

Good morning Showgirl,

I think Jaybee43 has answered your question and now speaks for the vast majority or travellers.

It always amuses me that to add weight to their argument that people use this phrase...just who are this "vast majority" ?

Next you'll be saying it's the "silent majority"...if they're silent how do you know they're a majority?

Look at the stats Terminator.

Are there any smoking cabins on board most ships err No,

Is there more smoking areas onboard a ship than not?err NO,

is smoking being encouraged on board most ships ? err NO ,

is smoking now to be banned from balconies for the benefit of the ( vast or silent) majority or not. Well that is an an emphatic YES.

And is smoking now a habit of the MINORITY of the population , rather than the majority ( vast or silent). YES.

There you go...... Quite simple logic really and not really very amusing at all.

It always amuses me that to add weight to their argument that people use this phrase...just who are this "vast majority" ?

Next you'll be saying it's the "silent majority"...if they're silent how do you know they're a majority?

Jaybee43 has answered you in an excellent manner. Never try and predict what someone is going to say next as invariably you will be wrong as you are in this case as I  never use 'silent majority'. I always assumed that people knew the meaning of 'vast majority' and in doing so you answer your own question.

I tend to agree with you PipPip. When I was a smoker, some 25 years ago, I never noticed the smell of stale smoke whereas these days I find it very noticeable when I meet someone who has just had a fag.

When staying in Chester once, I had to change hotel rooms because the previous occupier(s) were smoking in it. When I arrived the stale smoke smell was awful. I opened the windows and the housemaid sprayed the room but when I came back it was still dreadful so I got another room. Stale smoke is really quite pungent and obnoxious. :(

cheers

Harvey

Hi, Harvey,Which cruise company has a ship called Chester? you seem to be deviating from the Topic ( Smoking on Ships) :(

Good evening to you ron.

It was surely glaringly obvious that I was talking about the City of Chester and an Hotel and not a cruise ship.

However, to be even more pedantic than your good self - the topic is about "Smoking On Balcony" and not "Smoking on Ships"  - but surely an anecdote on foul smoking smells in general is within the topic.

cheers

Harvey

Look at the stats Terminator.

Are there any smoking cabins on board most ships err No,

Is there more smoking areas onboard a ship than not?err NO,

is smoking being encouraged on board most ships ? err NO ,

is smoking now to be banned from balconies for the benefit of the ( vast or silent) majority or not. Well that is an an emphatic YES.

And is smoking now a habit of the MINORITY of the population , rather than the majority ( vast or silent). YES.

There you go...... Quite simple logic really and not really very amusing at all.

Hi again

Whilst I agree that smoking is being curtailed on a lot of cruise lines and restricted to certain areas I think you'll find this is a safety issue rather than about health.

If it was a health issue they would ban it completely.

..It's just to convenient to play the "customer feedback" card.

And you can't have a "vast " majority , just a majority...

And just for info..I'm not a smoker but believe in freedom of choice for both parties...if the cruise line allows it then the person smoking has the right to light up on their balcony.

If they don't then all well and good for the non smoker.

Both groups have the choice when booking as all cruise lines set out the policies on their websites.

It was either or if you read it properly. And you can have a big majority therefore you can have a vast majority too.

Of course it's not just a I safety issue. If was down to safety issues alone they would in your own words, ban it completely. And are you seriously suggesting that smoking does not have a real health issue.

None so blind as to those who refuse to see.

Whilst there are those that have complained about those who smoke on balconies, next they will be complaining about the prom deck. You will never be able to win as there will always be someone who complains just for the enjoyment of complaining. It appears to me that this thread has now done its job as all I am reading is comments which could be taken the wrong way by those who have never been on a cruise, who do smoke, and wonder what  on earth they will be letting themselves in for if they happen to light up on the prom deck.

Yes I know that this is a smoking on balcony thread before anybody comments.

And it isn't a health thread either. I believe that those who smoke invariably understand the health issues involved but the same could be the same with the drinkers yet they don't get a battering like the smokers do. It takes all sorts to make a world and there comes a time when you have to draw a line under it.

Hi again

Whilst I agree that smoking is being curtailed on a lot of cruise lines and restricted to certain areas I think you'll find this is a safety issue rather than about health.

If it was a health issue they would ban it completely.

..It's just to convenient to play the "customer feedback" card.

And you can't have a "vast " majority , just a majority...

And just for info..I'm not a smoker but believe in freedom of choice for both parties...if the cruise line allows it then the person smoking has the right to light up on their balcony.

If they don't then all well and good for the non smoker.

Both groups have the choice when booking as all cruise lines set out the policies on their websites.

I don't understand people who have a balcony on a cruise line that allows smoking then complains about it afterwards

Do your research

15 cruises so far. Smoked for 20 odd years and been packed up for 32 years. Anyone taking a beer won't effect my health but a fag will. Not a serial complainer either just giving an opinion on the subject of this thread. That is smoking I believe.. Nuff said I think.

Hi again to all, as I posted yesterday,this issue is now starting to get out of hand and personnel, which is not what anybody want's maybe if everybody took a backward step and decided as I suggested yesterday and let this topic end. :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Hi Ron

I have sympathy for both sides of the discussion but neither side can win.

Both sides are so entrenched that tolerance disappears out the window.

Such is life...

Have a good evening...

Terminator good evening, At least we are all still good friends, life is to short. Have a pleasant week-end. ;)

Hi All,

Would anybody agree with me that this Topic has run it's course, smokers are never going to agree with non-smoker's or visa versa. it will only lead to ill feeling's, and I for one do not want to happen. :rolleyes:

Hi, Harvey,Which cruise company has a ship called Chester? you seem to be deviating from the Topic ( Smoking on Ships) :(

Hi again to all, as I posted yesterday,this issue is now starting to get out of hand and personnel, which is not what anybody want's maybe if everybody took a backward step and decided as I suggested yesterday and let this topic end. :wub:  :wub:  :wub:

Good evening again ron.

I feel you are being just a wee bit hypocritical re your somewhat sarcastic Chester ship comment coming after your first request to stop the thread. You knew full well I was referring to an hotel. There was no need for it. One really should practice what one preaches.

cheers and as has been said - have a good evening.

Harvey

Harvey Hi,  Granted but you put your Chester comment AFTER my first request to end this thread thus perpetuating the topic ? :wub:

Good morning ron.

You are quite correct. However, just because you thought a thread should end doesn't mean that it should.

It's a cracking sunny morning here in Bristol upon Cream and I'm about to take my four legged friend for a walk along the Thames.

Have a nice day

cheers

Harvey

Good morning ron.

You are quite correct. However, just because you thought a thread should end doesn't mean that it should.

It's a cracking sunny morning here in Bristol upon Cream and I'm about to take my four legged friend for a walk along the Thames.

Have a nice day

cheers

Harvey

Morning Harvey,

It is a nice frosty morning here,clear blue skies just like the Caribbean but nowhere near as warm.take care. Ron