caerglowhill

Smoking On Balcony

We had a balcony on Arcadia and could rarely use it as the people underneath us smoked and the smoke drifted up to us! The dream of an evening drink on the balcony ruined.

A room dedicated o smokers would be lovely if only they kept the door closed at all times.

We paid a lot of money for our balcony and would bet diamonds the occupants of the cabin under us got the cruise very cheap.

Roll on the day of NO SMOKING on balconies.

We had a balcony on Arcadia and could rarely use it as the people underneath us smoked and the smoke drifted up to us! The dream of an evening drink on the balcony ruined.

A room dedicated o smokers would be lovely if only they kept the door closed at all times.

We paid a lot of money for our balcony and would bet diamonds the occupants of the cabin under us got the cruise very cheap.

Good evening shaweast

I'm intrigued as to how you came to the conclusion that the smokers below you got their cruise very cheap. :unsure:

By the way - I totally agree about no smoking on balconies. B)

cheers

Harvey

Shaweast ,just to correct my post I should have said I agree with Harvey not you (your comments have really annoyed me) do we now want segregation on cruises, like the well off and then steerage class :angry:  :angry:

Good morning shaweast,

I too am intrigued as to your comment about the people who smoked possibly having paid a lot less than you. If they did, so what. I am also one who is against smoking and would like to see smoking banned not just on balconies but throughout the ship but I don't think that gives me the right to make assumptions that have no foundation.

Hi Shaweast

Are you sure they didn't have a barbeque going? they must have done if you didn't manage to get a smoke free drink outside, maybe they could afford it after getting a cheap cruise ;)

On a less tongue in cheek note P&O have made the decision to stop smoking on balconies so that should stop you complaining in future.............or will it?

Jaczs

Even when the smoking on balcony ban comes in the complaining will still continue as the smokers will be on the smoking side of the prom deck or other areas where smoking is allowed on the ship. 

Then they will be complaining about those using the e-cigs because they emit vapour so they will be walking past with their hands over their mouth coughing and spluttering as they do now.

Happy New Year by the way…   :)

Personally I believe that the day will come in the not too distant future when smoking will be banned totally on cruise ships. I remember when it was first suggested that smoking would be banned in pubs, restaurants, buses, trains, shops, airplanes etc. and people said it would never happen. Well it did, not just in the UK but in other European countries. Anyone want to guess which year it will happen? I will guess at 2016.

Well, I too paid for my balcony and In am heartily tired of this "no smoking on balconies" issue. There is a complete lack of tolerance nowadays. I personally detest the foul stink of beer and the loud corny karaoke evenings on ships but I tolerate them and do not rant nor let it "ruin" my cruise because we are all different and therefore entitled to enjoy ourselves in whatever way we choose. That goes for smokers too, I understand that those with GENUINE health issues must avoid smoke, but half of the folk complaining are either ex smokers with a holier than thou attitude or people who sadly just enjoy complaining. Smoking is bad for you but so is alcohol, over eating and obesity, and there is plenty of evidence of those habits on cruise ships. The fumes you inhale in port and from the funnel, not to mention in many ports of call, are just as injurious to health as second hand cigarette smoke, what next - face masks issued with every tour ticket? We smokers pay the same as non smokers. When we brave the cold winds on the Prom deck for a cigarette after dinner, the Antis then complain about the cold air coming through the doors as we open them. When we retreat to our balconies so that the non smokers can enjoy the lounges, bars and dance venues without our offensive presence, we are forced off them by these new rules. I even got reprimanded for using an e-cigarette on P&O, and they emit no smoke or smell at all, some passengers will always find something to complain about, which is a great shame and again smacks of a lack of tolerance towards fellow human beings. After 23 years of loyalty to P&O, Cunard and Silversea, I will sadly now leave it to the non smokers to keep the cruise lines afloat, and keep the happy memories of times when basic human tolerance made shared fun and adventures, whatever individuals' personal preferences were.

Hello Pesky Pirate and a Happy New Year to you also. You are correct the complaints will still roll in on how walking around the promenade is made impossible by smokers ruining it with smoke, and no doubt there will be complaints about people putting their cigarettes out on the floor rather than using the ashtrays provided and the cold blowing in the doors. Personally I would have rather smokers being allowed to continue to smoke on their balconies it has never annoyed me or ruined my holiday but that is just me, I know others take offence but truth be told I would rather stand chatting to a smoker than a drunk (a smoking or non smoking one)

It will be interesting to see if there are lots of balconies left unsold now as smokers will no longer have to shell out for them for the privilege of having somewhere to smoke.

....................................................................................................

After 23 years of loyalty to P&O, Cunard and Silversea, I will sadly now leave it to the non smokers to keep the cruise lines afloat, and keep the happy memories of times when basic human tolerance made shared fun and adventures, whatever individuals' personal preferences were.

Good afternoon Pia

Instead of giving up cruising - why not give up smoking! :rolleyes:

It's a Win Win situation. :)

1 - You can still enjoy cruising.

2 - You get better health.

3 - Your better health will enable you cruise into an even older age.

4 - You won't smell like an ashtray after having a fag.

5 - You won't be regarded by some as a pariah.

6 - You won't have to stand on a cold and windy promenade deck to have a fag.

Worth thinking about. ;)

cheers

Harvey

Good afternoon Pia

Instead of giving up cruising - why not give up smoking! :rolleyes:

It's a Win Win situation. :)

1 - You can still enjoy cruising.

2 - You get better health.

3 - Your better health will enable you cruise into an even older age.

4 - You won't smell like an ashtray after having a fag.

5 - You won't be regarded by some as a pariah.

6 - You won't have to stand on a cold and windy promenade deck to have a fag.

Worth thinking about. ;)

cheers

Harvey

And one final point. At about £8 for a packet of 20 thats over £2,900 a year if you smoke 20 a day. That's another cruise.

Well, I too paid for my balcony and In am heartily tired of this "no smoking on balconies" issue. There is a complete lack of tolerance nowadays. I personally detest the foul stink of beer and the loud corny karaoke evenings on ships but I tolerate them and do not rant nor let it "ruin" my cruise because we are all different and therefore entitled to enjoy ourselves in whatever way we choose. That goes for smokers too, I understand that those with GENUINE health issues must avoid smoke, but half of the folk complaining are either ex smokers with a holier than thou attitude or people who sadly just enjoy complaining. Smoking is bad for you but so is alcohol, over eating and obesity, and there is plenty of evidence of those habits on cruise ships. The fumes you inhale in port and from the funnel, not to mention in many ports of call, are just as injurious to health as second hand cigarette smoke, what next - face masks issued with every tour ticket? We smokers pay the same as non smokers. When we brave the cold winds on the Prom deck for a cigarette after dinner, the Antis then complain about the cold air coming through the doors as we open them. When we retreat to our balconies so that the non smokers can enjoy the lounges, bars and dance venues without our offensive presence, we are forced off them by these new rules. I even got reprimanded for using an e-cigarette on P&O, and they emit no smoke or smell at all, some passengers will always find something to complain about, which is a great shame and again smacks of a lack of tolerance towards fellow human beings. After 23 years of loyalty to P&O, Cunard and Silversea, I will sadly now leave it to the non smokers to keep the cruise lines afloat, and keep the happy memories of times when basic human tolerance made shared fun and adventures, whatever individuals' personal preferences were.

Hi Pia, Just a couple of quick observations. Why should passengers be tolerant of people whose vices damage the health of others? Like you I do not like the smell of stale beer or karaoke evenings but the difference is they don't damage my health. As for fumes from the ports of call and ships funnel I can only assume that you are not aware of the enviromental laws that surround air polution.If smokers stopped going on cruise ships I believe the impact would be minimal as they are such a minority.Yes I am an ex-smoker and I always used to make excuses for not giving up. In the end I gave up for health reasons and now regret having ever started let alone not giving up sooner.

Just a point raised by another poster…. I have to disagree with alcohol not damaging health… what about liver damage through over consumption etc…. plus a drunk driver killing someone on the road, or injuries sustained by drunks in fights etc. I have to say, I prefer to stand next to a smoker than a drunk any day.

Just my opinion. 

And one final point. At about £8 for a packet of 20 thats over £2,900 a year if you smoke 20 a day. That's another cruise.

Blooming 'eck!!!  £8 a packet!!  Smoking really is a mugs game. With all the information out there today I just cannot understand why anyone would pay £8+ a day to damage their health. Incredible.

cheers

Harvey

I've not noticed anyone say

Just a point raised by another poster…. I have to disagree with alcohol not damaging health… what about liver damage through over consumption etc…. plus a drunk driver killing someone on the road, or injuries sustained by drunks in fights etc. I have to say, I prefer to stand next to a smoker than a drunk any day.

Just my opinion. 

Not sure where you go that from but I've not noticed anyone saying that alcohol does not damage health.

I tend to agree with you that a drunk can be obnoxious but so can a smoker smelling like an ashtray. I've come across many an smoker in a ship's lift but very few obnoxious drunks. Also - when a drunk leaves a lift all is well. When an ashtray smelling smoker leaves a lift the obnoxious smell lingers.

cheers

Harvey

Good Evening All,

Here we go again, and I thought we all lived in a democracy. ;) Happy days ,Ron.

Good Evening All,

Here we go again, and I thought we all lived in a democracy. ;) Happy days ,Ron.

Don't worry Ron I would stand and chat with you if I ever meet you on-board :)

Good Evening All,

We most certainly do ron. That's why people are free to smoke and why people are free to discuss smoking. I wouldn't want it any other way. Happy days indeed. ;)

cheers

Harvey

Greetings one and all from a smoker. Having read everyones comments, I feel obliged to add my own. Growing up in London during WW 2 most adults smoked, no one complained. Where did the country and society I grew up in go. Then there was no "nanny state" and no "nanny society", and no "wingers". On our next cruise I will be displaying an unlit pipe anywhere, and smoking an e cigarette anywhere. Any grief and earache and the complainant will be talking not to me, to my Lawyer. In the society I grew up in, people were so polite, no one questioned other people's habits. Today the "nanny's" do not seem to have manners.

Greetings one and all from a smoker. Having read everyones comments, I feel obliged to add my own. Growing up in London during WW 2 most adults smoked, no one complained. Where did the country and society I grew up in go. Then there was no "nanny state" and no "nanny society", and no "wingers". On our next cruise I will be displaying an unlit pipe anywhere, and smoking an e cigarette anywhere. Any grief and earache and the complainant will be talking not to me, to my Lawyer. In the society I grew up in, people were so polite, no one questioned other people's habits. Today the "nanny's" do not seem to have manners.

Good evening kennethrsoanes and welcome to the forum.

As you have pointed out by your own intended action - today's society has turned into a litigious society. Sad really.

cheers

Harvey