caerglowhill

Smoking On Balcony

I agree with Pia, I am smoker and agree with not smoking in public places and can appreciate non smokers attitude to smoking, however given that 99.9% of the ship is given over to non smokers! I cannot see how they can complain. I gave never booked a balcony cabin, and am quite happy to smoke in the open areas of the ship, but what really infuriates me beyond anything, is if the sun is on the smoking side of the promenade deck, it is full of non smokers huffing and puffing, pulling faces and even being incredibly rude, I don't complain when I have to spend time on the promenade deck when it is freezing, that is my choice, just as it is when the non smokers camp on the smoking side when the sun is on the smoking side of the promenade deck.

I can remember when you could smoke in the Crows Nest bar (not that long ago) which every night was packed with smokers and non smokers enjoying a lovely evening together, no one had dragged the non smokers there. Also The Crows Nest is at the front of the ship with no through way to anywhere, it is not as though passengers had to walk through to get to somewhere else on the ship.

It is also interesting that all these cruise lines a bringing in more and more restrictions on smoking, but are still quite happy to sell duty free cigarettes.

Don't mind folks smoking on the prom deck - no probs - just simply walk away if you don't like it.... #

BUT, you can't walk away from your own balcony and closing the sliding door?? ... defeats the purpose of paying the extra for the balcony - that is not the answer..   banning

smoking on balconies is the only solution.

Whilst there are those that have complained about those who smoke on balconies, next they will be complaining about the prom deck. You will never be able to win as there will always be someone who complains just for the enjoyment of complaining. It appears to me that this thread has now done its job as all I am reading is comments which could be taken the wrong way by those who have never been on a cruise, who do smoke, and wonder what  on earth they will be letting themselves in for if they happen to light up on the prom deck.

Yes I know that this is a smoking on balcony thread before anybody comments.

come on you lot get real,the staff on p&o have there own in door smoking room.So remember where British so we dont persicute minorites,a certain person called Hitler tried that.So lets try and look for a solution and stop being the great i am. ps Iam a non smoker to.

I wonder if any of the non-smoking contributors to this debate sail on Cunard ships. Their balcony doors will not stay open so how does the smoke from a neighbouring balcony infiltrate inside? I cannot see why smokers shouldn't use E-Lite cigs on their balcony.

Just to clarify the position re Smoking and P&O.

The smoking ''ban'' on balconies  of P&O cruise ships cannot be enforced in law.

All ships of the Carnival Group are registered , for want of a better expression, in 'Corporate tax havens' which also conveniently adopt the least restrictive laws of any kind. P&O ships, as part of the Group, are registered in Hamilton, Bermuda.

If you look at para 2 of the Booking Conditions ,headed The Contract, it refers to English Law underpinning the Conditions of the brochure. Look at the Conditions in What You Need to Know it outlines that there is no smoking on balconies making reference to UK Law, which is sloppy wording but still not a problem.

However when the ship is at sea it is governed by International Maritime Law and under these Regulations there is no law prohibiting a passenger or individual smoking in this context - there are some relating to the engineering sections of the ship, cargo being carried etc & refuelling both at Sea and in port . This comes under Safety not Health.

Bermuda is a self –governing British Territory but has not unilaterally adopted UK laws, particularly the anti-smoking laws. Hence the policy of the Company cannot be enforced in law unless the cruise ship is the territorial waters of countries which have the same anti-smoking laws as the UK which most have. In effect this means that the ‘’ban ‘’ only applies when the ship is entering , whilst moored in, or leaving port. At sea the policy becomes ineffective.

I have spoken to P&O at the highest level and whilst she didn’t want to be quoted the lady has confirmed that no action will be taken if individuals smoke on balconies. They won’t get an ashtray but that’s as far as it goes. Smoking inside the stateroom will be strictly prohibited and monitored via the detector system which is linked to the Bridge. Anyone who is ‘caught’ throwing cigarette stubs over the side will be fined. I believe most smokers carry the slim-line portable type ashtray anyway.

The Company know about this enigma hence at para 2 the phrase ‘’and the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts’’.

For the record I am a Lawyer in Maritime Securities , a Non Smoker and have travelled with P&O extensively ( a Liguarian).

The smoking ''ban'' on balconies  of P&O cruise ships cannot be enforced in law.

All ships of the Carnival Group are registered , for want of a better expression, in 'Corporate tax havens' which also conveniently adopt the least restrictive laws of any kind. P&O ships, as part of the Group, are registered in Hamilton, Bermuda.

If you look at para 2 of the Booking Conditions ,headed The Contract, it refers to English Law underpinning the Conditions of the brochure. Look at the Conditions in What You Need to Know it outlines that there is no smoking on balconies making reference to UK Law, which is sloppy wording but still not a problem.

However when the ship is at sea it is governed by International Maritime Law and under these Regulations there is no law prohibiting a passenger or individual smoking in this context - there are some relating to the engineering sections of the ship, cargo being carried etc & refuelling both at Sea and in port . This comes under Safety not Health.

Bermuda is a self –governing British Territory but has not unilaterally adopted UK laws, particularly the anti-smoking laws. Hence the policy of the Company cannot be enforced in law unless the cruise ship is the territorial waters of countries which have the same anti-smoking laws as the UK which most have. In effect this means that the ‘’ban ‘’ only applies when the ship is entering , whilst moored in, or leaving port. At sea the policy becomes ineffective.

I have spoken to P&O at the highest level and whilst she didn’t want to be quoted the lady has confirmed that no action will be taken if individuals smoke on balconies. They won’t get an ashtray but that’s as far as it goes. Smoking inside the stateroom will be strictly prohibited and monitored via the detector system which is linked to the Bridge. Anyone who is ‘caught’ throwing cigarette stubs over the side will be fined. I believe most smokers carry the slim-line portable type ashtray anyway.

The Company know about this enigma hence at para 2 the phrase ’and the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the English Courts’’.

For the record I am a Lawyer in Maritime Securities , a Non Smoker and have travelled with P&O extensively ( a Liguarian).

Gazatgaz

I bet there will be quite a few smokers who will be interested in reading what you have said. I can't quite figure out why P & O, and other cruise companies but particularly P & O, have put in a no balcony smoking ban if they are not in a position to enforce it. It does seem rather pointless if people are going to carry on as before - well I suspect a few of them will.   ;)

......................................................................................................................................................................

Good evening gazatgaz

It may not be enforceable by law but you try arguing that 'point of law' as they kick you off the ship for flouting the ships 'rules'.

cheers

Harvey

Gazatgaz

I bet there will be quite a few smokers who will be interested in reading what you have said. I can't quite figure out why P & O, and other cruise companies but particularly P & O, have put in a no balcony smoking ban if they are not in a position to enforce it. It does seem rather pointless if people are going to carry on as before - well I suspect a few of them will.   ;)

Good evening TPP

I find it quite disturbing the thought of some smokers flouting the ship's rules. What kind of person would do that?

cheers

Harvey

Greetings Harvey,

Well if they do things like throwing cigarette ends over the sides, I bet some will still try and smoke… who knows.

:)

Sadly, you are very correct TPP. (Greetings to you too by the way.)

It just shows that some smokers haven't got the brains they were born with AND have no respect for their fellow travellers. Sad really.

cheers

Harvey

"It just shows that some smokers haven't got the brains they were born with AND have no respect for their fellow travellers. Sad really."

Harvey how rude are you? shall we look at your above quote.

A) The smoking ban is not yet in but already you have decided people will take no notice due to the fact the are unintelligent.

B) You have already decided they have no respect!!.

To me you are not being very respectful about what may or may not happen.

I'm not a smoker but I have some sympathy for those who do smoke. I don't like breathing in other's smoke but it's the safety aspect which bothers me the most. Do I think people will flout the rules? I'm afraid I do. So many people today always seem to think the rules apply to everyone but themselves.

"It just shows that some smokers haven't got the brains they were born with AND have no respect for their fellow travellers. Sad really."

Harvey how rude are you? shall we look at your above quote.

A) The smoking ban is not yet in but already you have decided people will take no notice due to the fact they are unintelligent.

B) You have already decided they have no respect!!.

To me you are not being very respectful about what may or may not happen.

Good afternoon to you Jaczs

If you care to read my post properly you will see that:  a) I was merely agreeing with another post which said that some smokers will ignore the ban  AND B) I really do think that anyone smoking today with all the information available to them about smoking related health issues is, as you say, unintelligent.

I'm not sure what you actually mean by being "very respectful about what may or may not happen". Can one have 'respect' for something that hasn't happened?

cheers

Harvey

Harvey

You have an opinion which you are entitled to as have I and I am all for a debate as long as it does not get to the realms of name calling which I find unacceptable and childish. You seem quick to air you view on how you find smokers to be but how about people who drink? there is as much known about the perils of drinking but have you called them unintelligent? or how about people who eat to excess again we know the medical perils of that but do you call them unintelligent?

Now I know you will say smoking (passive) endangers you which is fact but how about the drunk that drives or the person who takes drugs and drives does that not also endanger you potentially? and is it not as equally dangerous I would say yes it was.

I expect time will tell if people do or do not flaunt the rule I hope they do not but I am sure P&O will deal with them if that is the case I also hope P&O will come down hard on anybody throwing a cigarette end over the side as it endangers everybody including themselves.

Our views are not so different I just don't like name calling of individuals or groups.

Harvey

You have an opinion which you are entitled to as have I and I am all for a debate as long as it does not get to the realms of name calling which I find unacceptable and childish. You seem quick to air you view on how you find smokers to be but how about people who drink? there is as much known about the perils of drinking but have you called them unintelligent? or how about people who eat to excess again we know the medical perils of that but do you call them unintelligent?

Now I know you will say smoking (passive) endangers you which is fact but how about the drunk that drives or the person who takes drugs and drives does that not also endanger you potentially? and is it not as equally dangerous I would say yes it was.

I expect time will tell if people do or do not flaunt the rule I hope they do not but I am sure P&O will deal with them if that is the case I also hope P&O will come down hard on anybody throwing a cigarette end over the side as it endangers everybody including themselves.

Our views are not so different I just don't like name calling of individuals or groups.

There you go again Jaczs - attributing something to me which I haven't said. Good ploy but I'm wise to such tricks. It was your good self who first penned the term 'unintelligent' - not me.

Now, just for clarity, I'm equally against alcoholism, drug abuse and obesity. For further clarity, I agree that Drunks and Druggies are a danger to others in numerous ways and that extremely fat people are usually only an issue to others when seated next to them on an aeroplane or such. All these lifestyle choices, and they are mostly a lifestyle choice, of course have a hefty cost to the NHS. However, surely I'm not precluded from commenting on Smokers in a Smoking thread?

By the way, I also object to you calling me rude for merely discussion smoker in a smoking thread but I realise that is your style.

cheers

Harvey

Harvey

To me unintelligent is not having the brains you were born with am I incorrect on that? if so please clarify to me what you were meaning. I called you rude for presuming that smokers would flaunt the rules and smoke on their balconies and have "no respect" for their fellow travellers as the ban is not yet in and therefore we do not know what smokers will or will not do I find that rude and have said so. 

Harvey

To me unintelligent is not having the brains you were born with am I incorrect on that? if so please clarify to me what you were meaning. I called you rude for presuming that smokers would flaunt the rules and smoke on their balconies and have "no respect" for their fellow travellers as the ban is not yet in and therefore we do not know what smokers will or will not do I find that rude and have said so. 

Good evening again Jaczs

You are of course, entitled to your simplistic view of my posts.

cheers

Harvey

Why thank you Harvey I tend to think it best to use one word rather than several and just come straight to the point rather than going around the houses and back again.

You're welcome Jaczs - although I don't think you quite got the gist of what I was saying - but you're welcome just the same.  ;)

cheers

Harvey

@Adele Davies I am not a smoker so I don't have a vested interest in this but I think you need to lighten up.  A lot of smokers have tried and for one reason or another to give up but can't.  I always feel sorry for smokers becuase I feel they are persecuted and you holier than thou shouild show some compassion and allow if a person wants to smoke on their balcony, then they should!

@Adele Davies I am not a smoker so I don't have a vested interest in this but I think you need to lighten up.  A lot of smokers have tried and for one reason or another to give up but can't.  I always feel sorry for smokers becuase I feel they are persecuted and you holier than thou shouild show some compassion and allow if a person wants to smoke on their balcony, then they should!

Sorry Della but I cannot agree. If a person wants to do something they will and that includes giving up smoking. I wanted to give up 14 years ago and did. I simply started one Monday morning and said to myself 'I don't smoke anymore' so I am not asking anyone to do something which I haven't. I am not 'Holier than thou' but do believe that I should be able to protect myself from those who endanger my health. Lets be clear on this, smoking kills, even the manufacturers put it on the packets. If a person who smokes decides to take that course of action then please give me a sane reason why they should be allowed to do the same to me by causing 'Passive Smoking'. Cruise lines like airlines, realise this and are potecting their passengers and I whole heartily agree with them as do others.