caerglowhill

Smoking On Balcony

It's not a question of seeking people's views to find out how people feel it is to do with government legislation.  It can't be much fun standing outside to smoke but everybody knows the dangers that exist in breathing in cigarette smoke actively and passively and that is why it is banned in enclosed public spaces.  I have found that cigarette smoke hangs in the air it hasn't just blown away in an instant.  A balcony is pretty much enclosed on three sides and the smoke has to go somewhere. I would advocate a smoking room on board. Just a thought.

It's not a question of seeking people's views to find out how people feel it is to do with government legislation It can't be much fun standing outside to smoke but everybody knows the dangers that exist in breathing in cigarette smoke actively and passively and that is why it is banned in enclosed public spaces.  I have found that cigarette smoke hangs in the air it hasn't just blown away in an instant.  A balcony is pretty much enclosed on three sides and the smoke has to go somewhere. I would advocate a smoking room on board. Just a thought.

I don't think it's got anything to do with Government legislation - especially UK legislation as I can't think of any cruise ship currently registered in the UK. I think it's down to safety and people power. The vast majority of passengers being non smokers.

cheers

Harvey

Just to change tack for a moment ( yes I know this is a smoking thread ) I wonder why as Harvey has stated there are no cruise ships registered in the UK. I have my theories anybody else got any? ;) Ron

Just to change tack for a moment ( yes I know this is a smoking thread ) I wonder why as Harvey has stated there are no cruise ships registered in the UK. I have my theories anybody else got any? ;) Ron

The reason P&O gave for stopping UK registration was 'Weddings'. UK registered ships are not allowed to perform marriages. However, I think there was a lot more to it than that - viz. less stringent 'rules' and cheaper in the Bahamas etc. (I am of course no expert on the matter and stand to be corrected by someone with greater knowledge.)

cheers

Harvey

That seems to have been a very poor reason that's not to say it was not true! it is not one of my reasons you hit on quite a number of mine though not all thanks for the reply ;) Ron

Harvey, I take your point but I am not taking into account a ship's registry, I was alluding to P&O reflecting the British Government's stance on smoking in public and enclosed areas.  If the vast majority of passengers are non-smokers, then P&O will want to keep them happy rather than the minority.  Such is life.  With all the knowledge people now have about smoking and its dangers most will want to avoid it at all costs.

I think its all been said, I don't smoke

Smokers & non-smokers are never going to agree.

Some people do not seem to be aware of how difficult addictions can be to stop,

and there3 is all kinds of addictions

My wife (30 a day for 30 years) stopped 2 years ago with an illness, I witnessed

the difficulty in stopping,

Now you want to penalise her for using an E-caig, ananti-smoking aid

there is No smoke, No fumes, NO risk, NO reason WHY NOT!

Its not a vapour cig hung round her necks like some kind of olympic medal

X-man, I had to stop smoking by going 'cold turkey' because I was diagnosed with a lung disease and was hospitalised within a day of diagnosis. And that was that. I know how I felt so I do understand how hard it is. I do not know much about e-cigs but I thought I heard on the news recently that there are doubts about possible risks from smoking aids and that not enough is known about them? Some even release a small amount of nicotine but whether this could affect non-smokers I don't know. I've seen on a tv advert a woman is blowing something out of her mouth. Bear with me here but I do not like the 'smell' and effect on me of dry ice in theatre performances. I wonder if some of these substitute cigs have a similar effect? People do get very upset on the subject of smoking but it's not a case of persecuting any individual it's more to do with the fact that if they feel uncomfortable then they feel uncomfortable.

I have been with someone who is trying out these e-cigs, apparently you can buy them in different strengths of nicotine, depending on how much you smoke, they look like a normal cigarette and it is the tip that contains the nicotine but they supposedly don't include all the other naughties that are associated with cancer etc. There doesn't appear to be any smell with them either. I don't know about these things that you put liquid in which I assume are the vapour ones….

Certainly a contentious subject. At least when all smoking has been banned from ships, as it will in the foreseeable future, that should put this subject to bed once and for all. And when gratuities are included in the fare of all cruises what will people find then to get heated about I wonder. :huh::huh:;)

21 minutes ago, Oldworldtraveller said:

Certainly a contentious subject. At least when all smoking has been banned from ships, as it will in the foreseeable future, that should put this subject to bed once and for all. And when gratuities are included in the fare of all cruises what will people find then to get heated about I wonder. :huh::huh:;)

Hi OWT, I believe one of the major cruiselines tried an outright smoking ban some time ago, I can't remember which one but they soon relented and reintroduced it because of a drop in bookings.

I personally think there will be a significant wait for a total ban, if and when they do I wonder if they'll stop selling duty free cigarettes onboard :)

HLM.

I think you are probably referring to the Carnival ship ( can't remember which one ) HLM which from the outset was hailed as the 'first non smoking ship' in fact I remember seeing this ship in the Caribbean and it was painted on the side as a non smoking ship, you are correct it didn't last long I think the the one thing that hadn't been taken into account is whilst there may be lots of non smokers out there, there are also people who have smoking friends and friends like to cruise together so I assume they went elsewhere and this was quickly noticed hence the U turn.

I agree with you I think it will be some considerable time ( if ever ) before a total ban is put in place and if it is will this include crew as well as passengers ?? personally I don't see a problem in providing  a small area for smokers which can easily be avoided by the anti smoking brigade if they so wish but then I guess they wouldn't have anything to moan about would they !!  

Should smoking ever be banned then yes I would hope cigarettes would be withdrawn from sale in the shops in fact I think even now one of the requisites to purchase should be you have to stand and smoke a cigarette before purchase that would soon put a stop to those who buy to take home and sell at a profit ;)

Edited by *Dancing Queen*

1 hour ago, *Dancing Queen* said:

I think you are probably referring to the Carnival ship ( can't remember which one ) HLM which from the outset was hailed as the 'first non smoking ship' in fact I remember seeing this ship in the Caribbean and it was painted on the side as a non smoking ship, you are correct it didn't last long I think the the one thing that hadn't been taken into account is whilst there may be lots of non smokers out there, there are also people who have smoking friends and friends like to cruise together so I assume they went elsewhere and this was quickly noticed hence the U turn.

I agree with you I think it will be some considerable time ( if ever ) before a total ban is put in place and if it is will this include crew as well as passengers ?? personally I don't see a problem in providing  a small area for smokers which can easily be avoided by the anti smoking brigade if they so wish but then I guess they wouldn't have anything to moan about would they !!  

Should smoking ever be banned then yes I would hope cigarettes would be withdrawn from sale in the shops in fact I think even now one of the requisites to purchase should be you have to stand and smoke a cigarette before purchase that would soon put a stop to those who buy to take home and sell at a profit ;)

I wholeheartedly agree DQ, I see no problem at all with smoking areas on ships.

Most ships now have an area on the open decks for people to smoke, being a non smoker I know where they are and I simply choose to avoid them, I wouldn't even consider berating a smoker for using these areas like some still do.

The day cruiselines stop profiting and selling duty free tobacco onboard is the day I'll agree that they should ban smoking on their ships, until such time it's "live and let live".

HLM.

Returned from Ventura Canary Island Cruise 23/7/2017. Balcony Cabin deck D. First day found 4 cigarette butts on balcony. It was stewards first day on ship. Should have been cleaned by previous steward. Am in discussion with P and O regarding charge on card relating to mini bar which we did not use!

Edited by James Pontefract
Miss spellinh

1 hour ago, James Pontefract said:

Returned from Ventura Canary Island Cruise 23/7/2017. Balcony Cabin deck D. First day found 4 cigarette butts on balcony. It was stewards first day on ship. Should have been cleaned by previous steward. Am in discussion with P and O regarding charge on card relating to mini bar which we did not use!

Did the steward clean up? I have seen numerous cases of mini bar charges when they have not been used, it does make you wonder what is going on? Ti avoid the problem just ask the steward to remove the bar.

2 hours ago, James Pontefract said:

oh thats not good!! hope you get it sorted.