PaulJuby

Travel Insurance

It is a related subject to cruising. As one in my eighties travel insurance may well stop me cruising. The first quote I got for a world cruise was from Help The Aged (I thought they helped the aged) and was quoted £3950 !!! Having been to around a dozen Insurance Companies the lowest was £1000. Still high. I think cruise Companies should consider pressurising Insurance Companies not to be rip off merchants.

Absolutely agree, we have nationwide flex account and get standard euro travel free but have found out that we can pay extra premium to cover extra days for our world cruise in 2015. We are in our 50's and will cost less than £200 extra. Bargain compared to other quotes we tried. I think they will cover over 75's for extra cost also but you do need an account with them with set amount going in monthly.

Also be aware, not all companies include cruise cover as standard, specifically ask this question as very often an extra premium needs to be paid to add cruise cover as endorsement to travel insurance. It will be in the policy small print but how many people actually read the policy document through end to end? Don,t get caught out.

Hi Pauljuby, my father last went cruising in April (at the age of 87). He has more things wrong medically, than he has right. I can't remember off-hand the exact name of the insurance company he uses. (give me a day or so and i'll find out for sure) but he finds them to be very competitively priced, whilst providing excellent cover.

Does anyone know of UK companies who offer competitively priced cover for over 70s? The price usually rockets at this age, regardless of whether there are health problems or not.

Does anyone know of UK companies who offer competitively priced cover for over 70s? The price usually rockets at this age, regardless of whether there are health problems or not.

Hi Suzie,

I use the travel insurance included with my Nationwide FlexPlus account (£10/mo) which is very comprehensive and covers anyone up to 75.  Over 75 they will also cover you for an additional, reasonable, fee.

As with any insurance, remember and declare any existing conditions or other health issues you might have.

You will not get a comprehensive cover with Staysure if you are over 80. Who with a right mind will accept a maximum £200 luggage cover which would not even pay for a lost dinner suit !!!!!!!!. Try InsureandGo. Their cover extends to aged 90.