Sign in to follow this  
harley1

Which Is Better Dynamic Dining Or Classic Dining?

Whilst I haven't experienced it for myself, it's hard not to see it in the news from Royal Caribbean. They seem to have tried to initiate something of a dining revolution aboard Quantum but then backed off a little by introducing The "Classic" option on Anthem of the Seas, perhaps to cater for British passengers preferences or give a more rounded choice. 

Personally I think it looks a great idea in principle. The chance to sample a wide range of restaurants is always good in my book as I like diversity and to sample different cuisine types throughout a holiday. As I say, it looks good in principle. As to the effectiveness of it and it's functionality, I'm not sure but many said the same thing when freedom dining was introduced on board many cruise lines. At first it was called "shambolic" but nowadays it's extremely popular, and I personally would never choose a different dining option now. Given time to settle in, I think Royal Caribbean will prove they have stumbled upon something very strong here that will provoke a wide range of cruise lines to re-consider their own dining arrangements. 

In such a crowded cruising market, a USP, any USP, is always something important to have and Royal Caribbean once again have this. Their often known for their innovative entertainment developments but I think this, the improved wi-fi speeds and the clever check-in process will soon become highly rated across the board.

thanks sammysun!

So do you know how this classic dining works on the anthem/quantum? as far as i knew you just turned up at the restaurant you want to eat in every night? looking through details though it looks like you have to book or you wont get in?

I had 8 nights on the maiden cruise of Anthem so will try and answer the question from personal experience. Quantum introduced 'Dynamic Dining' which many had a problem with so when Anthem was launched they gave the option of 'Dynamic' or 'Classic' dining. I selected Classic and on arrival in our stateroom was a card informing us which restaurant we would be dining in at the time we had requested when booking on line. On 'Classic' you rotate round 4 restaurants, American Icon, Chic, Silk and Le Grande. The menus are different but the waiting staff rotate with you so you keep the same waiters. If you select 'Dynamic' you do this prior to boarding and then turn up at your selected restaurant at the selected time. If you don't book it will be a case of being 'fitted in' if there is room. Everything you do is pre booked from your Sail Pass to your dining and entertainment which means you can select what you want from the comfort of your home. It works, and we had no problems. 15 minutes from car park to stateroom.

A bit late to the table to help Harley1 if a cruise was imminent but we went on Anthem in May and selected Dynamic. Whilst booking was definitely the way to go if you prefer popular times to eat I doubt you would go hungry. It may be that extra effort was made by the staff because it was new but as regular Celebrity travellers we were hugely impressed with the Dynamic option. I am vegetarian and this creates real problems on Cunard and P & O with a bit less of a problem on Celebrity. On Anthem the staff worked magic.

We prefer select dining as we have found, on Classic dining, the first sitting too early and the late can intrude if you have additional plans for the evening.

The selection of restaurants was interesting and varied (Decadence was brilliant)

we don't mind where we sleep or where we eat and we have made some fantastic friends over the last 15 cruises (who we still meet with monthly) which was through fixed dining. we enjoy the freedom of many dining experiences on offer and we can be as relaxed as we like on what ever the day takes our fancy..so I'm for all choices.