Charleyfarley

Crossing Atlantic

Have booked cruise next September from Southampton to New York on P&O Arcadia. Bit worried about crossing Atlantic as I was not too well sailing the Bay of Biscay last month. Not sure whether to cancel and book alternative cruise. Can anyone advise?

Hi  I realise you are looking for reassurance but unfortunately nobody can answer your question.  The seas can be calm or it may be rough, it's the way the cookie crumbles.  If you are unsure the only sensible thing to do is cancel or take a risk, the medical staff can administer an injection if you are seasick which will prevent the symptoms but it will cause sedation. These injections are a lot more effective than the pills usually taken for sea sickness.

We too are 35 days in January so guess we're on the same cruise as you captain Kidd! I too feel a bit sea sick on Bay of Biscay but have done the Southampton to New York in September a few years ago and it was perfect all the way but no two days are the same these days at home are they. I take tablets prescribed by the Doctor and start them the day before I go. Fortunately if I lie down I can cope with the feeling of sickness so it's not too serious! Take a chance and hopefully it will be calm all the way there and back

There are plenty of over the counter remedies that work very well and they do not cause sedation, I always take a product called quite aptly sealegs obtained from my local pharmacy.

Why cancel your cruise and lose your deposit on the off chance of bad weather, when there are good products available !wink.png

A couple of years ago, we were on Azura in the Med and had two force 11's during the cruise!  On the same trip, the Bay of Biscay way almost flat calm.  I've crossed the Atlantic when it has been like a millpond and on other occasions when it has beee a bit lumpy.  As others state here, you pay your money and take your chance.  Possibly if you are not sure, you may be better taking one of the many river cruises now available.  Good luck if you decide to stick with it though and I do sympathise with your concern.  The best advice I can give is to book a cabin low down and midships where there is the least amount of movement should it be rough.

PS  We are booked on two transatlantic's one on 10 October and the next on 8 February 2016. Looking forward to both.

I completely agree with Ron. I sympathise with your concerns as seasickness is never nice but I honestly think you should press ahead with your plans and weigh up the positives with the negatives. If you do go then your going to enjoy seeing some special ports of call and chances are that the seas will be fine. If they aren't then like others have advised, there are plenty of remedies you can use to aid symptoms. The injection given on board does cause you to feel drowsy, I know because I had it on the first cruise I ever did and so did my wife. At that time we sat in our stateroom thinking we would never cruise again but we had the injection, felt very sleepy for the rest of the evening but woke up the following day feeling much better and completely different to the night before. Our symptoms had gone, a good night's sleep was great and we carried on with the holiday. Since then we've taken remedies pre-cruise and on board to help and now find we don't need anything at all. 

I think if you cancel the cruise you'll never know and it would be a shame to lose your deposit on an uncertainty.

I would have the "sealegs" tablets as a back-up, but go with the intention of not needing them.

If it's rocky get out on deck and walk with the sway, telling your brain to adjust to the new situation.

Hi Charleyfarley 

Don't cancel, take the advise of your fellows cruisers who have replied to your concerns.I have crossed the Atlantic and really enjoyed the experience and it was a winter voyage. Later this year (October) I am sailing to the Caribbean from Southampton  on the Britannia which an 8 day sail. The Arcadia is a wonderful ship and I am sure you will be ok. Enjoy.

Guest Solent Richard

Have booked cruise next September from Southampton to New York on P&O Arcadia. Bit worried about crossing Atlantic as I was not too well sailing the Bay of Biscay last month. Not sure whether to cancel and book alternative cruise. Can anyone advise?

Hi Charleyfarley 

Don't cancel, take the advise of your fellows cruisers who have replied to your concerns.I have crossed the Atlantic and really enjoyed the experience and it was a winter voyage. Later this year (October) I am sailing to the Caribbean from Southampton  on the Britannia which an 8 day sail. The Arcadia is a wonderful ship and I am sure you will be ok. Enjoy.

Good afternoon Charleyfarley.

Just to reiterate what Mulcture has said, I am more than happy to say that an Atlantic crossing n Arcadia will be no problem, certainly not in September.

In 2009 my wife and I crossed the Atlantic in December on Arcadia for a 23 night Christmas and New Year cruise.

I have also crossed the Atlantic in January on a ship of exactly the same design, Queen Victoria, taking a more northerly route.

Again no problems.

Go with the flow and enjoy the sea days.

Hi Charleyfarley,

Stick with it take your meds with you , I have done transatlantic's many times also world cruises in January ,PO Aurora, QV it certainly is an experience enjoy the the sea days, September should be fine is this the Caribbean cruise on Arcadia? CG

Good morning!

I'm thinking of doing a caribbean cruise from Southampton - can you tell me what the weather is like? i.e. how far into the cruise can I put my shorts on?? haha - It will be December/January - thanks in advance

Good morning!

I'm thinking of doing a caribbean cruise from Southampton - can you tell me what the weather is like? i.e. how far into the cruise can I put my shorts on?? haha - It will be December/January - thanks in advance

No need to rush getting the shorts on or the suncream it will take quite a few days maybe till you have passed Maderia till you notice any difference but enjoy the cruise anyway.wink.png

Good morning!

Crossed Atlantic several times to caribbean and weather has been OK from Southampton, however, warmer weather has started when we have got to Ponta Delgado(Azores) or as Ron stated, Maderia.

Have a good cruise, we have always enjoyed the days at sea, just relaxing.