Sign in to follow this  
tigerlilly

What Are The Internet Speeds Like On Celebrity Cruises?

I know there are quite a few Celebrity Cruises regulars on the forum . .  .  can anyone tell me please if the internet onboard is worth the cost and if so is it fast enough or will i need to get a drink in between opening emails?? do they do packages?

thanks

No Internet on board any ship is worth paying for...free inclusive minutes are OK though.

Speeds are worse than dial up on 99% of cruise lines..these emails must be important if you're thinking of paying to read them.

If they aren't just wait until you dock then follow the crew..they always know where free WiFi is.

Personal I'm on holiday and wouldn't want events at home which I have no control over to spoil it.

No Internet on board any ship is worth paying for...free inclusive minutes are OK though.

Speeds are worse than dial up on 99% of cruise lines..these emails must be important if you're thinking of paying to read them.

If they aren't just wait until you dock then follow the crew..they always know where free WiFi is.

Personally I'm on holiday and wouldn't want events at home which I have no control over to spoil it.

Hi, here's a link to the Celebrity Cruises FAQ page on WiFi and internet services on board - http://www.celebritycruises.com/frequently-asked-questions#faq515

It's a good source of information but I think it would be good to seek advice from fellow cruisers for real reviews of their wifi experiences rather than just what it says in the book so to speak. I cruised aboard the Celebrity Reflection not too long ago and the internet service on board was horrendous. Albeit the ship was in it's early stages so perhaps had some teething issues as I have never encountered such problems on other Celebrity cruises I've been on but in this case it was poor.

Personally I'm on holiday and wouldn't want events at home which I have no control over to spoil it.

I am with you on this one why go on Holiday to spend time worrying what is going on at home.wink.png

Celebrity Internet speeds are quite slow, but by no means the worst compared with other ships we have been on. We do need to keep in touch with home while on a cruise, but we have developed a system to minimize the time we spend on line. We have a special email account that we only give to family members to use when we are away. This cuts out wading through junk emails and those awful jokes that a couple of friends insist on sending us. We down load mail, then go off line to read and compose replies when needed, then just go online to send the replies. The cost and speed discourages us from using the Internet for anything but essential communication, but we like to know that our family can reach us if necessary.

Hi  All internet connections are slow on cruise lines.  My advice is to not use the expensive ship's fees but follow the crew at each port and they will head for the free zones and so you connect without worry about the cost and the speeds will be infinitely faster.

Guest Solent Richard

I of course would beg to differ.

Whether I'm on holiday or not I like to keep abreast of the times. 

This includes downloading a daily newspaper to my iPad and having a leisurely read over a coffee mid morning...

18349887656_02222a702b_z.jpg

Emails are also important to me as well as the odd 'blog' post. wink.png

Guest Solent Richard

I know there are quite a few Celebrity Cruises regulars on the forum . .  .  can anyone tell me please if the internet onboard is worth the cost and if so is it fast enough or will i need to get a drink in between opening emails?? do they do packages?

thanks

Good morning Tiger Lilly.

As I have said above, having access to the internet is of relevance to a lot of people: probably more than some folk on forums think.

One just has to open those peepers when walking around the ship to see just who is online with their iPhones and iPads.

Everybody wants it but some aren't willing to pay.

Of course speeds aren't the same as ashore. It would be quite difficult the fibre optic speeds I enjoy on the shores of the Solent when I'm onboard halfway across the Atlantic.

What is advantageous though is to choose times when usage by others is at a minimum: early morning springs to mind. 

Another trick is to get near a 'hot-spot. On Azura that was near the Library where the Internet manager had a desk.

Now to answer your question about Celebrity, here are the prices that were charged when I was recently  onboard Eclipse for a5 night cruise...

18542504240_d6a9cbce30_z.jpg 

Personally I thought for someone who really uses the internet that those two 'Unlimited' packages were a good deal.

Not all people on electronic devices are using the internet as most I've seen are reading books, playing games or music they've downloaded before embarkation.

And Richard if you can afford 50 dollars to read the Daily Mail then good luck to you.

I go on holiday to get away from it all..not take it with me.