Sign in to follow this  
wheels36

Venice Stays Open To Cruise Ships

Following corruption allegations against the incumbent, Venice has unexpectedly elected businessman and cruise ship supporter Luigi Brugnaro as it's new mayor.

There could well be moves to allow even larger ship's than the current 96,000 tonne limit into the port, so local opinions on the environmental issues are likely to become even more entrenched.

Did anyone watch the programme that Alexander Armstrong did on Rome a couple of weeks back… He said that a particular type of rock and cement was used for the foundations that were underwater and it seem pretty impressive stuff that they can still replicate it today. I would hope that they would strengthen the foundations of any structure at risk prior to letting any ships bigger than the 96,000 tonnes in. I too feel that the limit should be lowered as eventually something will give way.

Did anyone watch the programme that Alexander Armstrong did on Rome a couple of weeks back… He said that a particular type of rock and cement was used for the foundations that were underwater and it seem pretty impressive stuff that they can still replicate it today. I would hope that they would strengthen the foundations of any structure at risk prior to letting any ships bigger than the 96,000 tonnes in. I too feel that the limit should be lowered as eventually something will give way.

I saw the programme on what was built beneath Rome with the aid of the local cement, and had Venice been sitting on that stuff instead of wooden piles they would probably have less problems today.

What is this about a 96000 tonne limit if my memory serves me well Ventura Azura are well over this limit at 115000 tonne we have sailed into Venice on Ventura twice,it was only last season she was doing round trips between Genoa and Venice !!wink.png

What is this about a 96000 tonne limit if my memory serves me well Ventura Azura are well over this limit at 115000 tonne we have sailed into Venice on Ventura twice,it was only last season she was doing round trips between Genoa and Venice !!wink.png

It was Ron but then the new regulations came into place, hence why P&O have Oceana doing the fly cruises from Venice and Genoa this time around.

It was Ron but then the new regulations came into place, hence why P&O have Oceana doing the fly cruises from Venice and Genoa this time around.

Thanks for that Sammy,