Sign in to follow this  
Captain Kidd II

Excursions In Athens

I am going to Athens, in August, and wondered if a ship excursion would be worthwhile. I am asking this in view of all the trouble with the Greek finances. Every time I see the Acropolis it seems to have scaffolding round it - Am I right?

7 years since we were there & it had then. We did an excursion which was a cruise along the Corinth canal. It was very good although we only went about half way as it was blocked off for repairs.

Guest Solent Richard

I am going to Athens, in August, and wondered if a ship excursion would be worthwhile. I am asking this in view of all the trouble with the Greek finances. Every time I see the Acropolis it seems to have scaffolding round it - Am I right?

Know what you mean about the scaffolding Captain Kidd...

8927000502_e3f78f45b8_z.jpg

But that is now pretty much the Greek situation, a crumbling state held up by scaffolding, in the current case, Euro Zone money. laugh.png laugh.png

Guest Solent Richard

Of course you could hold infill your arrival at Piraeus and make a considered judgement.

The HoHo buses are there outside the cruise terminal or, a cheaper alternative is the train, which will drop you off a stone's throw from the Acropolis.

Piraeus will present you with a number of different options. We have taken both the cruise along the Corinth canal and a helicopter trip over Athens, but if you want to go into Athens then I would do that yourself. In addition yo SR's options you can also take a taxi into the centre. We spent a few days in Athens recently before a cruise and found it very easy to get around by Metro.

You can buy a combined ticket for a number of different sites so it is best to purchase it at one of the quieter ones - we were there in October so it was not a problem for us. The new Acropolis museum is very good.

I would also second SR's recommendation of hanging fire until you arrive in Athens - on one occasion a number of years ago we decided against going into Athens as it was too hot.

I have always enjoyed Athens and we are looking forward to visiting again in the summer.

We were there a few months ago,and I agree with SR the HOHO buses are a good way of getting around especially if you want to see more of Athens. If it is your first visit Athens itself is a must see. Corinth is a great trip as is Delphi. Sadly there is always scaffolding on the Acropolis these days. I am in a minority -my first visit was before the works started when you could still go inside the buildings and it was wonderful.

Know what you mean about the scaffolding Captain Kidd...

8927000502_e3f78f45b8_z.jpg

But that is now pretty much the Greek situation, a crumbling state held up by scaffolding, in the current case, Euro Zone money. laugh.png laugh.png

It's sad to see Greece in this state, primarily because they were unable to free themselves of cultural financial negatives such as taxation effectively being voluntary.

Perhaps this would be a good time for us to return the "Elgin Marbles", and cheer them up.

Guest Solent Richard

It's sad to see Greece in this state, primarily because they were unable to free themselves of cultural financial negatives such as taxation effectively being voluntary.

Perhaps this would be a good time for us to return the "Elgin Marbles", and cheer them up.

On the contrary, we should keep them as 'collateral' in case of any default.

Let's face facts, if we hadn't rescued them they'd still be a pile of rubble somewhere in Greece. wink.png wink.png

On the contrary, we should keep them as 'collateral' in case of any default.

Let's face facts, if we hadn't rescued them they'd still be a pile of rubble somewhere in Greece. wink.png wink.png

Sad, but true.