kerry304

Be Honest, Do You Actually Use The Spa When You Cruise?

I ask this question as I've been on quite a few cruises and never actually spent much time in a spa unless it's for a quick nosy around.

I'm not really one for sitting still on holiday nor being pampered but I've just returned from a lovely hotel in Turkey and was talked into a morning in the spa... oh my goodness have I been missing out or what???

It was incredible! Having experienced a 'real' Turkish bath, some sort of full body exfoliating scrub, some 'magic' oil (no idea what it was), full body massage, mud mask & facial I came out totally relaxed and looking like Elle McPherson. OK so i made that last bit up but I did actually feel amazing and my skin tanned a little better than normal, all for £55!

So next time I'm on a cruise I would definitely be looking out for the spa list... I want to know if any of you always spare a little 'me' time on your cruise or steer clear as I normally do?

I only go in the spa if the weather is rubbish and they have an offer on!

last time i was on azamara i paid $120 for an hours massage, facial and foot thingy, then i got use of all the spa facilities such as sauna, steam and the hydrotherapy pool

loved it and thought the price was cheap!

My Mum is a sucker for all the onboard spa facilities, tell her you can make her 15 years youngers and a couple of stone lighter and shes straight in paying sometimes ridiculous money! She never bloody learns! x

The thing you have to consider when going to these places, particularly if you have an injury and they say that they can help rectify it is, that they don't know to what degree you are having problems and may make things worse. There was a physio type person on one cruise who made a point of stating that he can rectify my problem…. my answer was, if the surgeon can't then how can you without knowing exactly what is wrong with me. 

I don't believe in paying a huge amount just to use a spa pool and somewhere to lie down afterwards.

The short answer is 'no'.

Being a member of a well-known fitness chain I have access to indoor and outdoor pools, spa, steam room and sauna, all within five minutes walking distance from my home. To be honest, I can't wait to get away on a cruise and get stuck into all those things that are bad for me.

The fees I pay work out at about £3.50 per visit so consequently I find the very idea of paying such inflated sums while I'm on my cruise quite unappealing.

Actually, as I sit here, about to tap 'post' I'm left wondering how many bottles of wine I could have in my cabin for $120!

I get my manicure and pedicure before leaving home at about a quarter of the cost. Massages and body treatments do not attract me, so no, I don't use the spa on board.

I have never actually used the spa, had plans too but as it was a fly cruise had a short amount of sea days and I was busy with various plans.

I would like too, I have seen the retreat on Britannia and it looks beautiful as does the spa.

We have not used the on-board spa, but someone at the dinner table on Azura said that the sauna section of the spa was free.

If that is correct then it is certainly not well advertised.

Had a neck and shoulder massage once (not on a cruise), and the masseur kept striking up conversation when all I wanted to do was relax and enjoy the treatment. Didn't bother going again.

My experience was rather different kite63, my masseur barely spoke a word, just directed me to where she wanted me to lay, to the point that when my massage & facial had finished and I had a soft cloth over my eyes, I heard the door click shut and was left wondering if i was finished or if she would come back!

My experience was rather different kite63, my masseur barely spoke a word, just directed me to where she wanted me to lay, to the point that when my massage & facial had finished and I had a soft cloth over my eyes, I heard the door click shut and was left wondering if i was finished or if she would come back!

For the massage at home, coconut oil works very well.

Also useful in cooking.

i have never actually used the spa pn a ship, really due to wanting to be ashore on port days and chill out on the sea days. I like a spa close to home which I think has good prices so wouldnt want to be disappointed. May have to look into it in the future..give it a go!

Why should the best and a substantial part of the ship be allocated for the use of so few people who have to pay extortionate prices to use what we have all paid for anyway.

I wouldn't set foot in there on principle even if I could be convinced that the mumbo jumbo therapies actually did any good. I am with the Carib Bean all the way - $120 buys a lot of wine - even at inflated shipboard prices.

I think that "mumbo jumbo therapies" is somewhat harsh, as tension causes "knotted muscles" that a masseuse is trained to deal with.

Obviously people will have different views on what represents value for money.