seawitch

To Tip Or Not?

At £5 perperson per day just Off oriana with 1800 pass, 13 nights, so thats £117.000.00 in tips now shes of on a 21 nighter so lets say 1800 pass again thats another £189.000.00, thats nearly £300K in two cruises, seeing how PO are now can you really see them handing over that amount of money to crew, and that just one ship one month, I personally just dont trust them any more.

At £5 per person per day just Off oriana with 1800 pass, 13 nights, so thats £117.000.00 in tips now shes of on a 21 nighter so lets say 1800 pass again thats another £189.000.00, thats nearly £300K in two cruises, seeing how PO are now can you really see them handing over that amount of money to crew, and that just one ship one month, I personally just dont trust them any more.

I cannot speak to that cruise line but I do believe the ones who say they do , so. In fact I just read off the blog of the Senior Cruise Director (John Heald) for Carnival itself  that the ship  who had a fire (Carnival Liberty)  and passengers sent home early that their President  authorized the crew to receive the entire gratuity they would have received had the cruise continued.

Quote: "  ----- . I also wanted to thank those who were concerned that as we refunded all the gratuities to the guests on the Carnival Liberty that the crew would loose out.

I wanted to tell you that our President Christine Duffy authorised that the full gratuity amounts be paid to those crew by Carnival and every single crew member all received vouchers for free internet too

Looking at your  math which is interesting , should we not take into account a lot of passengers might not have paid the gratuity recommended.

I played with the figures thinking 600 of the 794 crew would partake as only hotel staff not marine or Spa/Photos/Shops so each person would get $15 a day for the 13 day voyage given all passengers contributed.

Thank you . 

At £5 perperson per day just Off oriana with 1800 pass, 13 nights, so thats £117.000.00 in tips now shes of on a 21 nighter so lets say 1800 pass again thats another £189.000.00, thats nearly £300K in two cruises, seeing how PO are now can you really see them handing over that amount of money to crew, and that just one ship one month, I personally just dont trust them any more.

The staff of P&O only receive the full gratuity if they get maximum marks on feedback from the customer.

Anything less than maximum results in a reduction.

You have to assume that P&O do not put it into a "seaman's charity", so perhaps this is where the "Office of Fair Trading" ought to get involved.

P&O have been asked many times on their Facebook page what happens to the money given in gratuities in good faith but witheld if the waiters/cabin stewards did not get high enough marks on questionaire to warrant full payment and you will be surprised to know that they have never answered.

Interesting in terms of P & O article,, a few years old

http://www.captaingreybeard.com/2012/05/po-defends-new-tipping-policy.html

2 years summary all lines

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/8812952/Cruises-guide-to-gratuities-and-tips.html

Today on my Facebook page , Senior CD of Carnival cruises asked if people would want tipping in the price.. considering vast majority are Americans, the FB consensus seemed to be a resounding NO. They did not like the price increased not knowing by how much ...

Wonders never cease

Guest Solent Richard

I always keep the auto on my bill as I know then that the backroom room people get something. I did wonder on my last cruise on Aurora if this was the right policy as I noticed some of the tip went to the Head Waiter who I did not know and who could not even be bothered to introduce himself to us. I must say, on that cruise, I had to ask the waiters to introduce themselves on the seconnd night so we coukd get to know them. If I have that experience again I will certainly be temoving the auto tip and go back to the old way.

I'm with you on that point Cap'n.

Guest Solent Richard

Interesting in terms of P & O article,, a few years old

http://www.captaingreybeard.com/2012/05/po-defends-new-tipping-policy.html

2 years summary all lines

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/travel/cruises/8812952/Cruises-guide-to-gratuities-and-tips.html

Today on my Facebook page , Senior CD of Carnival cruises asked if people would want tipping in the price.. considering vast majority are Americans, the FB consensus seemed to be a resounding NO. They did not like the price increased not knowing by how much ...

Wonders never cease

Excellent point raised RobBar.

I bet the resounding NO came from those who shirk giving tips.  laugh.png laugh.png  

I always keep the auto on my bill as I know then that the backroom room people get something. I did wonder on my last cruise on Aurora if this was the right policy as I noticed some of the tip went to the Head Waiter who I did not know and who could not even be bothered to introduce himself to us. I must say, on that cruise, I had to ask the waiters to introduce themselves on the seconnd night so we coukd get to know them. If I have that experience again I will certainly be temoving the auto tip and go back to the old way.

P&O have always clearly stated that the gratuities go to only cabin stewards and waiters so dont know what backroom staff you are referring too.

P&O have always clearly stated that the gratuities go to only cabin stewards and waiters so dont know what backroom staff you are referring too.

I have just read this on P&O Cruises website under FAQ's section :

100% of your tip is distributed to the staff who will have served you in the main restaurant (waiter, assistant waiter and head waiter) and also to your cabin stewards or butler, who will have looked after you whilst you are with us.  This amount is distributed through our tipping pool; of which administrational costs are all covered by P&O Cruises.

You have to assume that P&O do not put it into a "seaman's charity", so perhaps this is where the "Office of Fair Trading" ought to get involved.

AS  port and seafarers chaplain Ive never had a positive response from them, but in my original post I just dont trust PO anymore, not since the yanks got their theiving  mitts into two great British companies, they have become some money orientated. But as an ex seafarer Ive always said "Ship owners are the greadiest people on Gods earth.or water.

No wonder P&O profits are up. It is time the crew were properly paid and the price of the cruise included what would have been tips. If the crew were paid properly then the recourse for poor standards would be cancellation of contracts

I have wondered that myself!! some may think I am P &O bashing but I'm not, its just that I've done 15 cruises with them, a couple with Fred Olsen, and likewise with cunard, and I would say that I never experienced such problems with them. OK fine someone may come back and say you would expect to have more problems with PO because you've been with them more, also that would be fair comment. My points or issues with PO that has led me to never go with them again are how there attitude has changed, how the standards and quality have dropped since we first cruised with them, standards went down somewhat soon after carnival took over, and lately they have in my opinion got worse. I would like through this forum to add one more observation/conclusion i have come to: I think it is now not in the interests of PO to try and retain their loyal cruisers I could name 16 people (but obviously will not) 7 couples and two singles two being my wife and self that will never go with PO again we were Gold Tier, now caribbean, some others (6) were in the very top tier, why is it not in PO interest? my logic thinks right us older cruisers remember how it was (in the good old days) so going today we are always comparing and saying things, standards, service, food etc not so good, and us in the higher tier (I am no snoot neither, im only retired working class that mostly had inside cabins) get the 10% the free champers, dedicated lunch (or so they say we dint get one on our last cruise two weeks ago)a gift etc, where as newbies first time get no discount, then start at 5%, so that a saving for PO, also they dont have to give a gift, or a lunch, and they would probably get less complaints because the newer generation of cruisers have nothing to compare against so they just take all the bull sh*t/crap that PO chuck at them. thats my latest thought anyway.

I'm a new member so would like to say hi. We have only cruised with p&o since they introduced automated tipping we have found that some staff members have asked us that when we get the cruise questionnaire at the end of the cruise to tick the excellent box otherwise they wouldn't get any of the gratuity. If this is true what happens to that money??

If the gratuities don't go to the crew members then the guest should receive a refund then, surely? It was paid by the guest on the assumption that it was being passed on to the crew. If this is not happening then the cruise lines are charging guests under false pretences.

This topic is going to run and run. If people feel so strongly about tips then just cancel auto tipping and go back to the old system and give the crew cash. If we can afford such wonderful holidays why are we sppending so much time on such matters. Now I will get back to looking for my next cruise. haha

The best chance of "seeing off" tipping generally would come from the Inland Revenue.

Probably about the only thing that they could do to "court popularity".

But the Inland Revenue would have no jurisdiction over personell who are not living in UK and a ship owned by an American company and not registered in the UK.