seawitch

To Tip Or Not?

I believe that if you spend so many days of the year working at sea you don't pay tax on your earnings. When I first started cruising you were given a little book which stated the recommended amounts that you paid both your waiters and cabin steward, the cabin steward did receive more but I cannot recall the amounts. 

As others have said, if you don't like the system, remove your tips and pay yourself but I would let it be known that you intend to do this so you don't receive inferior service as they do know who have removed the tips.

I may be wrong but I thought most cruise lines don't allow the withdrawal of gratuities for those on 'freedom' dining.

If they do then they should change it.

sorry, I got it wrong what I was going to say.

I would agree that 'freedom diners' should not be able to withdraw their tips

I have cruised with P&O numerous times and though I have always paid the auto gratuity have never been comfortable with this process. Having asked the company questions about gratuity/wages and link to crew they have refused to answer. This display of bad manners and a recent refusal to return a deposit, or allow it to be used for a subsequent cruise, has now blackened P&O in my eyes.

Have also cruised with Saga a number of times and gratuities are included in the upfront cost. Much more honest. And like so many of their passengers I still additionally tip individuals who provide considerate service.

Gratuities should never be automatic but earned.

I have cruised with P&O numerous times and though I have always paid the auto gratuity have never been comfortable with this process. Having asked the company questions about gratuity/wages and link to crew they have refused to answer. This display of bad manners and a recent refusal to return a deposit, or allow it to be used for a subsequent cruise, has now blackened P&O in my eyes.

Have also cruised with Saga a number of times and gratuities are included in the upfront cost. Much more honest. And like so many of their passengers I still additionally tip individuals who provide considerate service.

Gratuities should never be automatic but earned.

Aslaw,Would you divulge your income to anyone who asked ? This topic seems to go round and round as someone has already said (tip if you want or don't tip simple) but lets not keep going over the same old ground please.

Ron, I give plenty of my income information to various questionnaires. Not much to divulge. State pension and work pension. Not a vast amount.

From P&O I sought information regarding the distribution of gratuities, whether they pay the living wage and whether they use gratuities to subsidise the normal wage. If they expect us to pay gratuities there should be clarity of information from the company. But to repeat, a gratuity should not be an expectation, it should be a reward for SPECIAL service.

Clearly Aslaw you have a beef with P&O on several things, and why would you ask for a deposit to be returned when booking your holiday most agents will advise that the deposit is none refundable and I am aware  P&O do allow you to transfer at an admin fee if you can meet their transfer criteria, as for tips as Ron said its down to you tip or not!

Guest Solent Richard

I have just read this on P&O Cruises website under FAQ's section :

100% of your tip is distributed to the staff who will have served you in the main restaurant (waiter, assistant waiter and head waiter) and also to your cabin stewards or butler, who will have looked after you whilst you are with us.  This amount is distributed through our tipping pool; of which administrational costs are all covered by P&O Cruises.

That is a very credible statement from P&O.

It effectively means that they cover their credit card merchant service providers percentage cost.

I'm impressed.

Guest Solent Richard

As a matter of interest I once again experienced the tipping arrangements on a Viking River Cruise last week.

They recommend the following:-

€2.00 per day per guest for the Programme Director and €12.00 per guest per day which is distributed amongst the ship's staff.

On this latest cruise they also stated that if guests so wished the tips could be added to their onboard account. 

I took up this option rather than use my Euros which I shall be needing again soon enough...

22335190129_086532b21d_z.jpg

Viking also advice a tipping rate for the local guides and coach drivers on their many tours.

The suggested rate is  €2.00 per person per day for the guide and €1.00 per person per day for the driver.

As with the onboard staff, Viking's Local guides are outstanding (more about that in my review) and well worth the rate.

Response to Cruise Chef: my "beef" apart from gratuities has been considered in another issue raised elsewhere (see travel insurance). When a company accepts a large deposit for a world cruise there is no way according to said company to transfer it to another cruise.

It's about time all cruise lines included the tip in the price so all passengers pay the tip. To put it on the shipboard account then allow you to remove it is unfair to those who pay. I overheard some people on the Ventura say that they have been cruising 5 years and don't pay the tip as it adds a hundred or more pounds on the holiday. Sort yourselves out cruise lines.

How can a tip be a tip if it is added to the price? Proper wages should be paid to all staff so they are not dependent on tips - the days of slavery have long gone. As passengers we can then tip those who give a service which is above the norm.

One thing to consider has anyone ever gone on a 14nt holiday in an hotel as a couple and at the end of the holiday put £140 in the gratuities box in reception. Bet many haven't but that's what P&O are expecting us to do by saying well the staff work very hard as if they don't in hotels. What they really mean is will you pay £140 gratuities to the staff so we can pay them crap wages and make more profits for ourselves.

We have only sailed with Cunard and for the state rooms we book we have think the tips add on a bit high. Now after we set sail I go to the purser and get this re moved. I have worked for 50 years and have never been tipped for doing my job.

How can a tip be a tip if it is added to the price? Proper wages should be paid to all staff so they are not dependent on tips - the days of slavery have long gone. As passengers we can then tip those who give a service which is above the norm.

I can't answer your question Captain, but Thomson I believe claim that your tips are included in the headline price, what they don't say is how much that equates too, and how they distribute it amongst the crew.

Does anyone actually know?

My assumption is that they get a reasonable liveable wage and then based on their performance via the questionnaires they get a bonus to make up their monthly wage.

HLM.