Thommo34

Internet Charges

We all know that connecting to the internet has been getting easier and cheaper over the years.

I understand that the technology used fo connect via satellite is far different from that we all use at home but nevertheless I find it difficult to understand why prices on cruise ships has been steadily increasing over the last 6 or 7 years.

I can only believe that this is a ruse to pry more money out of we passengers.

Anyone any explanation or comment?

Yes you are quite correct. The charges are a total ripoff. That is why some of us now do what I

the crew do--- and go ashore to the terminal building or find a café in the port as I refuse to pay the ridiculous charges onboard.

It is also much cheaper to text someone than to send email etc on board.

The other problem on board is that very often there is no signal which gets blamed on the weather

I believe (although I have no evidence for this) that at least one of the reasons the cost is so high is to stop people using it excessively, thus maintaining a reasonable connection for everyone.

At the moment, even at $0.70+ per minute, access is affordable to pop on for a few minutes to download your e-mails, then log on again to send any replies.  It's not affordable (unless you're in the 1%) to sit for hours and hours, or maintain a permanent connection like we're all now used to on our iPhone to be used at any opportunity.

If it was affordable for everyone to be permanently connected all the time (with their devices constantly checking for e-mails, iMessages, Facebook updates and so on) the quality of the network (which as you say isn't great at the best of times) would be basically unusable.

I wouldnt mind paying for it if it was fast internet. Its so slow! x

There are so many variables that it's just not possible at the moment.  Two-way satellite connections aren't the fastest when used in a single residential (non-moving) home, but out at sea where hundreds of people are using the connection simultaneously it's going to be much worse.

Imagine how bad it would be if everyone was using it continuously without any barrier (like cost) in the way?

Don't get me wrong though - I'd love to have good, fast, always on broadband while on holiday.  My partner and I run our own business and it's useful to be able to keep track of things while away.  I'm quite happy finding a nice coffee shop or bar and having a drink while people watching and using the free WiFi!

Mmm, interesting. Makes sense charges so high to deter constant use and crashing, although it's so slow generally that barely worth the effort and frustration of trying. Deffo easier to wait for port call and have bar/cafe drink using their free internet. Maybe, they could introduce time slots to sign up for use to help with speed/ no. Users and then bring cost down?

What I find annoying (with P&O anyway) is that they have changed how they charge for internet usage. Last year in the Caribbean the connection was slow but we were charged by the MB, which was ok if all you want to do is check the weather / upload your emails and speed wasn't really an issue. This year on Azura we were charged by the minute, and the connection was slow, which meant checking the weather at the next port could take 10 minutes and downloading email could take 20 minutes. We pretty much gave up after a few days as we were being charged a lot for very little. On the plus side, being cut off from the web actually made the remaining two weeks more relaxing - next time we go I think we will be internet free.

Last P&O cruise on Adonia the internet connection was really poor and the best thing was to wait until going into port and watch out for the crew as they all knew the free internet areas in port.Also check lonely Planet for free Internet cafes.

Just got back from Med on the Arcadia,I used my iPad in the ports we were visiting ,most places had wifi even if it wan't advertised, much cheaper than the ship. I was told its Maritime that sets the prices and P&O,have to buy air time from them. New thing now on the ship is instruction on how to use iPads.i learnt a lot and the attendance by people was good.

Guest Solent Richard

Just got back from Med on the Arcadia,I used my iPad in the ports we were visiting ,most places had wifi even if it wan't advertised, much cheaper than the ship. I was told its Maritime that sets the prices and P&O,have to buy air time from them. New thing now on the ship is instruction on how to use iPads.i learnt a lot and the attendance by people was good.

Similar classes are always available on Cunard Cruiseada.

They do a number of complimentary lessons which lead into more concentrated programmes.

internet is always slow on princess ,we don,t mind as its always free to us ,never use all the minutes what ever length of cruise were on .

if were on a cruise with someone on here and they want some free minutes to chat to family just shout out

I never use any communications when on-board. I don't have anything urgent enough to warrant me using a ships Wi-Fi. I just wait until I'm next ashore then switch my phone on. I crossed the Atlantic there and back with only a short spell in New York, where I checked for texts and emails, and didn't have any withdrawal symptoms for not having phone or Internet access during the crossings.

In days gone by, pre mobile phone etc., I never even looked at a newspaper when abroad. I always had a couple of weeks which were 'news blank'. These days of course, every cabin/hotel room has a TV and I do look at the News channels. I think it was better when I had a blank couple of weeks ;) . I do realise however, that some people, especially the younger generation, cannot live without being 'in touch' with the World Wide Web etc.

I also admit to carrying my BlackBerry with me all the time when at home. It is a very useful tool - at times! I actually use it mainly for the Calendar facility as I've got a dreadful memory these days. <_<

cheers

Harvey

(Edit) PS   I should add that I worked in the IT business for over forty years so I'm not adverse to technology.

I never use any communications when on-board. I don't have anything urgent enough to warrant me using a ships Wi-Fi. I just wait until I'm next ashore then switch my phone on. I crossed the Atlantic there and back with only a short spell in New York, where I checked for texts and emails, and didn't have any withdrawal symptoms for not having phone or Internet access during the crossings.

In days gone by, pre mobile phone etc., I never even looked at a newspaper when abroad. I always had a couple of weeks which were 'news blank'. These days of course, every cabin/hotel room has a TV and I do look at the News channels. I think it was better when I had a blank couple of weeks ;) . I do realise however, that some people, especially the younger generation, cannot live without being 'in touch' with the World Wide Web etc.

I also admit to carrying my BlackBerry with me all the time when at home. It is a very useful tool - at times! I actually use it mainly for the Calendar facility as I've got a dreadful memory these days. <_<

cheers

Harvey

(Edit) PS   I should add that I worked in the IT business for over forty years so I'm not adverse to technology.

Harvey, I am really worried now more agreement, why do people who go on holiday want to be on the internet all the time? (facebook etc) I like the news black-out that my wife and I impose on ourselves while on holiday, if an emergency people know how to get in touch ;)

Harvey, I am really worried now more agreement, why do people who go on holiday want to be on the internet all the time? (facebook etc) I like the news black-out that my wife and I impose on ourselves while on holiday, if an emergency people know how to get in touch ;)

Good morning ron.

Are you sure you're not my long lost brother? ;) Or is that taking it a step too far. :unsure:

I mentioned taking my four legged friend for a walk along the Thames earlier today - well the reason I'm on the forum at this time of night/morning is I've just come back from the Emergency Vets. Vets are like GPs - they don't work nights nor weekends - they farm it out to others. It cost £190 just to open the door - plus treatment. (He's worth it though.) My wee chap is resting and I'm sitting up with him until he settles down for night - hopefully.

cheers

Harvey

Good morning ron.

Are you sure you're not my long lost brother? ;) Or is that taking it a step too far. :unsure:

I mentioned taking my four legged friend for a walk along the Thames earlier today - well the reason I'm on the forum at this time of night/morning is I've just come back from the Emergency Vets. Vets are like GPs - they don't work nights nor weekends - they farm it out to others. It cost £190 just to open the door - plus treatment. (He's worth it though.) My wee chap is resting and I'm sitting up with him until he settles down for night - hopefully.

cheers

Harvey

Morning Harvey,

If I am my mother forgot to tell me, are you from the Rich side of the family?

Sorry to here your dog is unwell hopefully. Time and care will see your dog recover! plus no doubt a lot of money.Oldworldtravellers comment is quite funny :D

Good morning ron.

cheers

Harvey

Hope you wee doggie is better soon Harvey !

We all know that connecting to the internet has been getting easier and cheaper over the years.

I understand that the technology used fo connect via satellite is far different from that we all use at home but nevertheless I find it difficult to understand why prices on cruise ships has been steadily increasing over the last 6 or 7 years.

I can only believe that this is a ruse to pry more money out of we passengers.

Anyone any explanation or comment?

If we travel on Princess we get free wifi but with other companies we never buy any as the connection is so slow. I may be one of a minority that do not feel the need to have 24/7 contact with people so it is not a problem for me. We do sometimes connect in a port - especially if there is a McDonalds nearby as they are normally free

Guest shilly3191

If we travel on Princess we get free wifi but with other companies we never buy any as the connection is so slow. I may be one of a minority that do not feel the need to have 24/7 contact with people so it is not a problem for me. We do sometimes connect in a port - especially if there is a McDonalds nearby as they are normally free

how do u get free wifi on Princess as an Elite member of Captains Circle you get 250 minutes free but after that you pay and its as expensive as other cruise lines is it a benefit for being in a suite.

Guest Solent Richard

Well, you do have to buy their coffee but I know what you mean.

Used them many times in New York: there is  a very handy Macs near the Manhattan subway station we exit  from having travelled across from the Brooklyn Cruise Terminal. 

Aren't iPads and iPhones  wonderful!