rach

Just Booked First Ever Cruise On Ventura

We have just booked our first ever cruise. We were unsure which cruise liner to go with having heard royal caribbean is so good for children but decided to go with P&O. We are a family with 2 children. Are the kids clubs any good.

We did a trans Atlantic cruise on Ventura in March & she is a really lovely ship. There weren't many children on board but the kids clubs looked amazing. Have a wonderful time.

We have just booked our first ever cruise. We were unsure which cruise liner to go with having heard royal caribbean is so good for children but decided to go with P&O. We are a family with 2 children. Are the kids clubs any good.

Welcome to the forum!

My experience with P&O is from a few years ago and before we had children; however I would say that it really depends upon what is important to your children and to you.  I would also think that the time of year and the itinerary will affect the number of children on board.

Enjoy your first cruise!

Guest Solent Richard

Well done. 

Ventura is a nice ship for families...

14164614487_e6dd339468_z.jpg

biggrin.png biggrin.png

The Ventura is a great ship. The 'Kids' clubs are ideal for younger children and there also are activities for young teenagers. On the Royal Caribbean ships they also cater for the 15/17 age group which is somewhat lacking on the P&O ships. I'm sure you all will enjoy your first cruise experience and will be booking many more in the future.

I booked my first cruise after my two children were grown up and married. my most memorable was when my wife Joan and I celebrated our Ruby wedding on the Arcadia sadly Joan passed away two years later. Five years ago I took my daughter and son with their five children on the Oceana to celebrate my 70th birthday. Both families are now regular cruisers.                  

We have just come back from Azura and the kids clubs are very good I have a 10 year old and a 2 year old.  The programme of the daily activities is very varied .  It was open all day apart from an hour at 1pm and 5 pm where its closed for meals times.  My 10 year old got a Reef Club bag and my 2 year old got a lunch box both as free gifts which I thought was good.  Also when we got in our cabin each child had a welcome helium balloon with a bag of Jelly Beans attached which I thought was a lovely touch.

Arrived home from canaries Friday,lovely time on board,no treats for our little girl,but she made up for it with endless chocolate muffins,kids never bothered with kids club:(.

My gripe is that there were too many passengers full capacity over 4000! Ventura looks a bit scruffy in places,the posters peeling of the wall in Havana bar,carpets a bit dirty,the cabin was dusty the light bulbs in bedside lamps, the little shelf where the shower/soap goes had black dirt in,loo seat brown stains on,applied to our kids cabin as well so not just a one off,the cabin stewardess was a nice lady but lacking cleaning skills,we spoke to a crew member who said there was no time to replace all the toilet seats while in port,poor excuse.

We will go on another cruise next year,may try another cruise line and smaller ship.

Arrived home from canaries Friday,lovely time on board,no treats for our little girl,but she made up for it with endless chocolate muffins,kids never bothered with kids club:(.

My gripe is that there were too many passengers full capacity over 4000! Ventura looks a bit scruffy in places,the posters peeling of the wall in Havana bar,carpets a bit dirty,the cabin was dusty the light bulbs in bedside lamps, the little shelf where the shower/soap goes had black dirt in,loo seat brown stains on,applied to our kids cabin as well so not just a one off,the cabin stewardess was a nice lady but lacking cleaning skills,we spoke to a crew member who said there was no time to replace all the toilet seats while in port,poor excuse.

We will go on another cruise next year,may try another cruise line and smaller ship.

Sorry you had some hick ups but as long as you were happy overall and now you know what size of ship to try next time...

Also, Ventura did not get the prime parking position at the new central cruise berth in Madeira.

Wheels 36,what difference would prime parking make?had another ship next to ours I think,mind you after all those ports can't remember which port was where.