Sign in to follow this  
wheels36

Mens Shorts

I am glad to see that older shorts wearers are coming out.

My usual choice is M&S cargo shorts (Velcro preferred), this saves having to have a bumbag as well. Still prefer bright colours but realise my wife has feelings too, that is not being next to a guy who looks like a prat.

RayO

Husband wears shorts most of the time in the summer. In my opinion he looks good in them as long as they are the right length. Really short shorts don't suit 'mature' men and below the knee looks strange. He prefers deck type shoes, without socks in the summer and rarely wears sandals unless he is at the beach. I wouldn't dream of choosing his clothes, but on occasion I have suggested alternative colours.

Hello,I don't have a problem with shorts being too short.I have short legs ergo long shorts.As I have said before I would do a Richard but I don't know how.This tech stuff has left me behind.Anyway 1 sleep then Queen Elizabeth.Shorts packed.

Rodger.

Guest Solent Richard

Love the tailored shorts with deck shoes and no socks look. 

When I was in the Royal Navy that was referred to as 'canteen' socks. wink.png

Guest Solent Richard

Bet the ole Corpus Spongiosum and cavernosa doesn't fill so well either!!!

As my most Avid follower I'd have thought there was little doubt in your mind that that was my strongest department. laugh.png laugh.png

All the nice girls love a sailor. biggrin.png biggrin.png

Guest Solent Richard

I am glad to see that older shorts wearers are coming out.

My usual choice is M&S cargo shorts (Velcro preferred), this saves having to have a bumbag as well. Still prefer bright colours but realise my wife has feelings too, that is not being next to a guy who looks like a prat.

RayO

Agree Ray. Cargos' in bright colours though I do still have a couple of pairs purchased at Pusser's Landing on Tortola.

Not the green Billabongs, they were what I was wearing on the day...

20433915133_bef2c86e92_z.jpg

21054956765_794a7f9e1e_z.jpg

Personally I think shorts are like trousers, they depend on the cut, fit and quality. As I am getting a bit old to look like a member of the 'Beach Boys or Jan and Dean' if you remember them , I stick to the less flamboyant styles and designs. I am just finishing 5 weeks where the average daytime temperature is in excess of 30c and if not in swimwear then it is shorts. As for foot wear I find that leather 'flip-flops' are ideal with swimming shorts and deck or canvas shoes with shorts. Of course, just my opinion.

Guest Solent Richard

Men's shorts are standard issue over here in the Midwest as soon as the temperature is in the 50s. Hairy, skinny or husky legs or knobby knees do not matter.

Of course they don't KeithnRita.

This obsession with covering up legs really is 'old hat'.

There is of course a health benefit...

"Human skin can make large amounts of vitamin D when lots of skin is exposed and the sun is high in the sky. Your body is designed to get the vitamin D it needs by producing it when your bare skin is exposed to sunlight"

Guest Solent Richard

Husband wears shorts most of the time in the summer. In my opinion he looks good in them as long as they are the right length. Really short shorts don't suit 'mature' men and below the knee looks strange. He prefers deck type shoes, without socks in the summer and rarely wears sandals unless he is at the beach. I wouldn't dream of choosing his clothes, but on occasion I have suggested alternative colours.

Hows about these for length...

16516954042_a72ddb674d_z.jpg

Guest Solent Richard

As my most Avid follower I'd have thought there was little doubt in your mind that that was my strongest department. laugh.png laugh.png

All the nice girls love a sailor. biggrin.png biggrin.png

And probably the reason I wouldn't be caught booking one of these Fred Olsen cabins...

20892336210_b7121d3dcf_z.jpg

"Human skin can make large amounts of vitamin D when lots of skin is exposed and the sun is high in the sky. Your body is designed to get the vitamin D it needs by producing it when your bare skin is exposed to sunlight"

Absolutely right Richard. I was told I had a severe vitamin D deficiency in 2010 and have been on supplements ever since. My consultant went on to say that the emphasis on sun protection, albeit correct to be careful, has become so overwhelming that many people are not allowing themselves to get the required amount of vitamin D they need. It's recommended to try and get 15 minutes per day of un-protected sunlight on skin. 

Of course they don't KeithnRita.

This obsession with covering up legs really is 'old hat'.

There is of course a health benefit...

Nice one SR!

I think I might pop down to my GP's and see if I can get a prescription for a cruise!

Too much sun however can be dangerous resulting in skin cancer.

Absolutely OWT. Rightly so, a lot of emphasis has been placed on the danger of too much sun exposure but this has meant a lot of people have been over-protecting themselves or avoiding it altogether. I'm in complete agreement for the promotion of sun-sense but I've also seen what happens when we don't get enough sunlight and it wasn't nice at all. There has been a big rise in rickets in children again as they aren't getting the necessary amount of vitamin d from natural light.

Guest Solent Richard

Too much sun however can be dangerous resulting in skin cancer.

Absolutely OWT. Rightly so, a lot of emphasis has been placed on the danger of too much sun exposure but this has meant a lot of people have been over-protecting themselves or avoiding it altogether. I'm in complete agreement for the promotion of sun-sense but I've also seen what happens when we don't get enough sunlight and it wasn't nice at all. There has been a big rise in rickets in children again as they aren't getting the necessary amount of vitamin d from natural light.

A question of balance gentlemen. 

And of course a good sunscreen.

Guest Solent Richard

Nice one SR!

I think I might pop down to my GP's and see if I can get a prescription for a cruise!

Be careful what you wish for Shetlander.

Yo might get sent on 'Rickets of the Seas'.

laugh.png laugh.png

Guest Solent Richard

I agree with you Richard but when I was young sun screen was virtually unheard of and like many of my generation I am now paying the price.

Same here OldWorldTraveller.

And when one thinks that at age 18 I did a full 12 month commission on an aircraft carrier all in the Far East...

20489669473_83d5ea7aa7_z.jpg

The exposure to the sun's rays was unbelievable so we must have had lady luck on our side - well, most of us.

PS. Sorry about the quality but that really was an old 'brownie' photo taken in 1964. The other guy had already been on board for 4 months hence the different tan.

biggrin.png biggrin.png  

Guest Solent Richard

Now here's a rather sombre 'short' story with a difference.

Some years ago while holidaying in Thailand I walked the 4 Kilometre length of the partially renovated Hellfire Pass memorial trail...

6488784459_1a4d39bec8_z.jpg 

A rather sad journey really but one that I felt I had to make with a military background.

It was a very touching experience to remember what those poor prisoners had to endure...

6488789975_0b2b3703a7_z.jpg

Shorts are shorts at the end of the day and whatever your age you either look good in them or you don't and that goes for men and women… I have seen both looking ghastly and I believe that a person knows whether or not they look good in them but some do not consider their appearance. The trouble is that, today, those that consider what is the years fashion do not take into account that 'one design does not suit all' so my view is 'if it doesnt look good on you then don't bother'. 

Also whatever your gender socks and sandals look silly even more so when you see a chap wearing the type of socks that he would wear with a suit!

Guest Solent Richard

Also whatever your gender socks and sandals look silly even more so when you see a chap wearing the type of socks that he would wear with a suit!

laugh.png laugh.png