The3amigos

Smoking On Balconies

Harvey, 

As always arguing for the sake of arguing.

In future if you cannot reply to one of my posts without being rude, then don't bother as I find your sarcasm most unbecoming. You do appear to be a rather rude person.

Whilst I may not be there during the day, I do enjoy my early morning coffee on the balcony as I pointed out. A time when a lot of smokers may be having their early morning smoke.

I will reiterate AS A NON SMOKER, I have never smoked. it does not stop me having a certain amount of sympathy for anyone who cannot enjoy an occasional cigarette on their balcony in comfort. They have never caused me a problem.

Harvey

As usual spot on people should only comment on what they actually see. ;) Ron

I was doing Ron or rather what I don't see, it depends how you want to read the content.

I think some like to make it up as they go along, if all these smokers were puffing away all day everyday I think at some point I would have noticed.

Harvey, 

As always arguing for the sake of arguing.

In future if you cannot reply to one of my posts without being rude, then don't bother as I find your sarcasm most unbecoming. You do appear to be a rather rude person.

Whilst I may not be there during the day, I do enjoy my early morning coffee on the balcony as I pointed out. A time when a lot of smokers may be having their early morning smoke.

I will reiterate AS A NON SMOKER, I have never smoked. it does not stop me having a certain amount of sympathy for anyone who cannot enjoy an occasional cigarette on their balcony in comfort. They have never caused me a problem.

Hang on a bit pyewacket. I merely commented on your contradictory statement. " I have rarely seen anyone on the balcony either side of me, of course I'm not out there during the day as I'm usually out and about,".  As I said - difficult to see something when you're not there. A very valid comment on my part I would say, in response to the gist of your entire post.  You were effectively saying that smoking on a balcony was NOT a issue - BUT - you never used your balcony during the day to see if it 'was' an issue. I reiterate - difficult to see something when you're not there!

May I suggest that in future you read again what you have written before hitting the 'post' button. Just to make sure you don't post any more silly statements.

Also, I never even mentioned anything about you being a smoker or non smoker nor where your sympathies lie.

cheers

Harvey

Harvey

"Silly Statements" maybe, at least they are not personal, rude and sarcastic.

Good evening pyewacket

There was absolutely nothing rude nor personal in my reply to your contradictory and, as you agree, silly post. Maybe a tad sarcastic but then if one posts silly statements then they are open to comment and ridicule. The lesson here is - 'think' before you post. ;)

cheers

Harvey

Harvey

Sarcasm, as you agree and ridicule seem to be your forte, you certainly seem to thrive on them. I certainly would not take any posting lessons from somebody as arrogant or rude as yourself.

Now back to topic, as for the OP, I repeat although I have never smoked, it does not stop me having a certain amount of sympathy for anyone who cannot enjoy an occasional cigarette on their balcony in comfort. 

Oh! I have had a wonderful time reading this debate. Personally, I am in favour of the smokers here. For too long, they have been pilloried for their lifestyle choice. Also, it has to be noted that the smoking ban in the UK has been instrumental in the closure of many pubs. Although agreeing that smoking should no longer be permitted in the cabins, I think that it is ridiculous to ban smoking on balconies. If someone wishes to pay a premium price for a balcony or even a suite, in order that they can enjoy a cigarette, then so be it. If balcony doors are closed (as they should be) there is no way that smoke can drift into the cabin. When the cruise companies promote their staterooms as a "home from home", people should therefore be allowed to smoke in their own backyard.

I think that some people just want to complain for the sake of it. I met a chap on a ship a few weeks ago who told me that he had a cigarette in his hand when a lady walked past him and started wafting her hands and screwing up her face. He had not even lit the cigarette at the time.

This is a dilemma for the cruise companies but a compromise could be achieved by permitting smoking on some balconies at the aft or upper decks. These cabins would be available on a 'first come, first served' basis and may well encourage early booking.

But the non-smoking fraternity should beware because if this objective is successful, it is likely that discriminatory practices will then be targeted towards the obese and the drinkers in the future. Let him that is without sin, cast the first stone......

I am a non-smoker, but have never let smokers bother my holiday. If I have to walk by the smoking area on deck, I will just walk a bit quicker and hold my breath. Within seconds I have moved on and it's been no big deal. If I step onto my balcony and someone is smoking nearby, I will go back in and find something else to do. Why would you let a few seconds of inconvenience spoil the whole of your holiday? 

Oh! I have had a wonderful time reading this debate. Personally, I am in favour of the smokers here. For too long, they have been pilloried for their lifestyle choice. Also, it has to be noted that the smoking ban in the UK has been instrumental in the closure of many pubs. Although agreeing that smoking should no longer be permitted in the cabins, I think that it is ridiculous to ban smoking on balconies. If someone wishes to pay a premium price for a balcony or even a suite, in order that they can enjoy a cigarette, then so be it. If balcony doors are closed (as they should be) there is no way that smoke can drift into the cabin. When the cruise companies promote their staterooms as a "home from home", people should therefore be allowed to smoke in their own backyard.

I think that some people just want to complain for the sake of it. I met a chap on a ship a few weeks ago who told me that he had a cigarette in his hand when a lady walked past him and started wafting her hands and screwing up her face. He had not even lit the cigarette at the time.

This is a dilemma for the cruise companies but a compromise could be achieved by permitting smoking on some balconies at the aft or upper decks. These cabins would be available on a 'first come, first served' basis and may well encourage early booking.

But the non-smoking fraternity should beware because if this objective is successful, it is likely that discriminatory practices will then be targeted towards the obese and the drinkers in the future. Let him that is without sin, cast the first stone......

God evening sheila.

Two points you raised.

Pub closures. I think you'll find that the pubs which have closed were the old 'spit & sawdust' male attended pubs. These pubs were doomed anyway. The ban may have speeded up the process by a smidgen. 

Targeting the obese. Another good cause I think. Something has got be done about obesity. It's a national scandal which is turning out to be extremely expensive to the nation. Diabetes is increasing at an alarming rate and all the associated costs to the NHS and other social services. 

cheers

Harvey

In essence, now we can only have so many units of alcohol a day, 7 portions of fruit and veg, watch your sugar, salt and meat intake. Don't smoke and don't drive gas guzzling cars, oh and remember to have at least 20 minutes of exercise a day… (it doesn't matter what sort I believe) so do all that and we should be ok….. unless the global warming gets us first!!  

;)

By the way, in relation to the closure of pubs etc…. sometimes the sort of pubs that Harvey relates to could be the sort where the old man/lady down the road had been visiting for years and years, a regular who was probably on their own after their wife/husband/partner had died….. It was the sort of place whereby if said person didn't turn up one night, one of the other regulars would notice and pay a welfare call to check that he/she was ok….. With the reported loneliness in the news of elderly folk this is another case whereby they have lost a lifeline….

Not all pubs have to be yuppy type places and sometimes its nice to have a local…..  :)

Hello Harvey

Maybe the 'spit & sawdust' pubs did have a limited life span but I know of many other pubs locally who saw their businesses decline when the UK smoking ban came into force.

My feeling is that the 'nanny state' is going too far in interfering in peoples lives. We all have likes and dislikes and should let people make their own decisions.

Suppose it would be a boring world if we were all the same though.... :rolleyes:

As a non smoker I strongly object to having to inhale smoke from other passengers balconies, it's just as antisocial as smoking in any other public place.

Totally agree with the 3 amigos. Why can't we have one side of the ship with smoking balconies P&O It is discrimination in my book. I absolutely love cruising but am beginning to wonder if I have to keep leaving my cabin to go on deck to have a cigarette whether the cruise holiday is worth the hassle.

They should re think the decision a.s.a.p !!!

Hello Molly

Although I think that one side of a ship maybe too much, I believe that a number of balcony cabins on the upper or aft  decks could permit smoking. The number allocated will obviously depend on the size of the ship.

Personally, I have never experienced the 'drifting' smoke that others complain of. Smoke is very quickly drawn away from the ship, even more so when at sea. I believe that some people just like to complain for the sake of it. Each to his/her own, as far as I am concerned.

As I have said before, if the cruise companies advertise their cabins as a 'home from home' then smoking should be permitted in your own back yard.

It is interesting how many people accuse others of complaining 'for the sake of it'.   I find this judgemental and patronising and if drifting smoke on their balcony has spoilt their enjoyment of it then that is all people need to know, I believe these people are genuine in their views, unlike those who use a debate to play devil's advocate, using the opportunity to be sarcastic and rude, insulting others just for the sheer fun it gives them. 

Guest Solent Richard

If you make one side smoking and the other non smoking what do you do when the only cabins left are on the smoking side of the ship which is what will happen as smokers are now in a very small minority. You are then back to square one. Personally I think the day will come in the near future when all ships will be non smoking. The number of clients the cruise lines will lose will be minimal and it may even attract more people. Yes I am an ex smoker and happy to be so. 20 a day now costs over £2,000 a year which is another cruise or in the real world the cost of my gas, electricity, water, car insurance and tax for a year. 

Very sensible retort OWT.

What is good for the airlines should be good for cruise ships.

Or maybe the 'smokers' would be willing to pay a premium for their 'exclusive' area.

what I don't like about all this is ....its not the smokers ..its not the anti smokers.. its the cruise lines they have known for years that what comes out the funnels of there ships is a big health problem..even the w.h.o the same people that keep telling us about the dangers off smoking have put it in the same cancer causing list as smoking...please read my other posts anyone that goes on cruise ships is doing damage to others health ......just look on the net.. google it.....can diesel particals from cruise ships cause cancer...and don't stop there look at some of the other posts...that guy on the balcony might not look so bad .. well not as bad as the cruise ships pollution that falls all over you