The3amigos

Smoking On Balconies

I would like to think that anyone can post anything they wish (without smart replies), even if the subject is one that people don't want to 'hear'.   I find that most people don't care a jot for the environment ('it's nothing to do with me guv') or care about the planet as a whole.  I think ISWMLE's posts are thought provoking but clearly a bit uncomfortable for some ?

I would like to think that anyone can post anything they wish (without smart replies), even if the subject is one that people don't want to 'hear'.   I find that most people don't care a jot for the environment ('it's nothing to do with me guv') or care about the planet as a whole.  I think ISWMLE's posts are thought provoking but clearly a bit uncomfortable for some ?

Who decides what a smart reply is (YOU) think that is up to the individual as you say anybody can post anything so long as it is not offensive.

But anybody has the right to reply again so long as it is not offensive. :mellow:

Morning all,

Just popped back to see what comments have been left.  Re. dark ages - no of course not, that is not at all what we are about, we are just trying to make sense of the whole thing.  Someone asked am I a smoker, forgot to answer - I suppose the best thing to say is it is not 'I', it is 'we', could call us a family.  Some smoke, some don't, but I have got to be honest, the non-smokers are fully in support on the smokers when it comes to banning smoking on balconies (an open air space) and the banning of electronic cigarettes etc. 'because it could look like you are smoking'.  So far we have visited lots of these sites and it would seem that it is definitely victimisation mainly by people who only care about themselves.  Can someone please explain to me how it is OK to go on a cruise that does so much damage to the environment and other peoples' health but they themselves moan to the cruise lines because they can 'smell smoke' from other peoples balconies etc.  I don't think that there is anyone out there who can justify this.  The whole point behind all we have said, is if the anti-smokers are really that concerned, then why waste your time over something as miniscule as the smell of smoke coming over your balcony for a few minutes.  If you don't like it, do what you would do at home - if you had friends coming round and you had just had fish and chips or a curry, or the cat just pooed in it's tray - you would put some sweet smelling perfume into the air by whatever means you use, just to cover the smell.  So the answer is very simple, just put some of your aftershave or perfume on for those few minutes, but I think I know what these people will say next - 'I should not have to do that'.  That is all we seem to see on here 'I', 'ME'.  Basically, it does not matter what damage is done by cruising but God forbid if I can smell smoke from a cigarette on my balcony!!!  If you are really concerned about health issues, then jump on something that will help everyone, not just YOU.  Join the groups of people that are trying to get the cruise lines to dramatically clean up their act.

As for the pubs closing down, what has been said is not correct in our area.  Most that have closed were the lovely quaint village pubs with ivy growing on the walls, you know the sort I mean.  It is not just the pub gone, it is the jobs gone, the only pub the villagers had to go to gone. But what does that matter, IT WOULD SEEM, NOTHING.

I Spy, sadly people only usually care about themselves and their immediate family.  I take your point about there being more important things in life than someone having a ciggy.  OK, smoking a ciggy is nothing to worry about if the world is about to come to an end, but most people don't measure their annoyances against the grand scheme of life.  Most people only care about what affects them in the here and now, such as drifting cigarette smoke whilst on your balcony.  There are not many people who are altruistic.  They just get on with their own lives.  Some special people do care about others more than themselves such as the workers out there helping people with Ebola but generally people put themselves above all else. 

hi fudge well the ball is rolling now .. we have put our local port under pressure and looks like we are getting somewhere they have started to measure the fall out from the cruise ships .......... and I know other ports all over the world are starting to do the same ...if your interested look on the net loads up there

I am surprised. I thought ships would be emission tested like factories,power stations etc. If they are not perhaps they should be? there are systems that can be fitted to stop harmful chemicals issuing from chimneys and would have thought these would be fitted in all modern ships.

Just looked on the internet it appears there is extensive monitoring of emissions from ships,and targets they must hit. If I am reading correctly ships that travel in the Baltic have to meet quite strict targets, This would account for most cruise ships as most cruise there at some point.

Hi seawitch,

Read your message about an hour ago and four of us have been looking on the internet and all we can really find on the subject mainly talks about sewerage waste.  Once a cruise ship is out the twelve mile limit, there are no regulations regarding the fuel that they use.  You could try searching (AIR POLLUTION CAUSED BY CRUISE SHIPS) as of course cruise ships cause many forms of pollution.  If you do that I am sure that you will find reports from all over the world, Hong Kong, Sydney, Florida, Seattle and Dover, the list goes on and on.  Some of you may have seen on the news just tonight, the millions of people across the world demonstrating about pollution and the anti cruise ship polloution brigade was very well represented.  Please let me point out, my group are not anti cruise ship, we just want them to clean up their act.  We genuinely are concerned about the damage that they do to everyone and everything it would seem.  We stumbled across this smoking debate by chance and because of the research that we have done over the last few years, we found the whole thing about smoking on balconies / E cigarette ban and that some people are moaning about the smell of cigarettes on their balconies to be miniscule when you look at the bigger picture.  It is like why would you bother to moan about these things if you really cared about your health and the health of others.  It is not just us saying these things, right across the board from the W.H.O. to the top professors in the world are warning us about the emissions from cruise ships.  It is there on the internet everywhere that you look, including pictures of cruise ship funnels belching out the black smoke and it is all done so as we can have a good time and enjoy ourselves.

Please don't think we are anti cruising or anti smokers.  We are just people who believe what is good for the goose is what is good for the gander, but some people and the cruise lines choose to ignore the really important issue.

Back again, sorry, regulations are being put in place.  We know what is going on in the States etc with some of the cruise lines agreeing to do more but this has only come about by the pressure that environmental friendly groups have put on the governments etc.  All of this is very recent.  Several cruise lines so far have done absolutely nothing and as you know sometimes saying and doing are two different things.  Pressure must be kept up.

It seems to me that this should be on a new topic…. 

You may be right that ISWMLE's topic should have its own thread, but I would hazard a guess and say that people don't want to read it.  But as to this thread, ISWMLE's point was to highlight that people complain about smoking on balconies and running the gauntlet of smokers whilst promenading etc. but have not thought about putting it into context against the consequences of the great big smoking thing called a funnel on a ship and the fuel a ship burns.  To be fair, I don't think many people will have realised. 

yes now you have it ....its just the cruise lines know it and have done for years they are the worst of the worst ...just think waiters etc up high near that funnel paid next to nothing by the lines but most work in it all day and no health cover  ..no anything come to that ..next time you cruise wait till late in the day and run a white hanky over the table or hand rails outside .... does it matter if its cigs or that funnel that makes us a passive smoker...its all about smoking and that funnel is a smoker it blows smoke in you face all day every day and not just for a few mins 24/7....yes some line are starting to clean up there air pollution but even that is not enough ...its all gone crazy ..people are brain washed .why why why cant they see that by cruising they are far far worse than any smoker on a balcony or this e.cig thing...they are that person with the dog that just leaves the mess for others .....BALCONY SMOKERS AND E.CIG USERS YOU ARE THE LEAST OF OUR CRUISING WORRIES and should be to all who cruise.........ps guys sorry if there is any spelling mistakes predictive text on this thing but cant find how to turn it off..lol

just a bit about us...we are a family and some friends one is very very well known and liked all over the world possibly more well known  than h.r.h.... now in his 70s smoked all his life but not in public and loves to cruise but the anti smoking brigade has messed it up for him also so he is well p....d off ..he cant smoke on his balcony and he cant smoke public ...your loss n.c.l

Why are some people so intolerant of others.  So high and mighty!  Didn't these people go on cruises, go into pubs etc before the smoking ban?  Let's face it, practically everyone over the age of 60 grew up with at least one parent that smoked and we were surrounded by smoke everywhere we went but asthma was virtually unheard of and the majority of the population didn't walk round wafting their hands about.  Do these people who cough and waft their hands about drive cars?  If they do, do they consider the obnoxious fumes that their cars are emitting!  I don't think so!

Smokers know that it's not good to smoke just like a lot of other bad habits. Let's have a bit more tolerance.  It's about compromise!!

I'm a none smoker.

Hello.MEMO to Bolsover and members,Have we not had enough of this and relate topics,PLEASE.

Rodger.

Jaguar01

Whilst I agree with you about this topic going round in circles and now another aspect of it has been brought up pollution by cruise ships what about commercial shipping which is far larger than the cruise industry. I just have a chuckle to myself and let them get on with itwink.png