Sign in to follow this  
Captain Kidd II

Weather In The Baltic In July

We have been to the Baltic 3 times May, June and July the weather has always been good.Although warmer later. If I remember my geography from school they have a continental climate (cold winters and warm summers) UK  we were told had a maritime climate (mild wet winters but cooler in summer than the continental climate) Although when we sailed in May the sea around Finland and Russia was frozen which made it interesting , but the temperatures in ports were  20-27 degrees C. July it hit 38 degrees C.

So would May be better or is there little difference?

Hi  Certainly May is a drier than the summer months in the Fjords but the temperatures are usually lower.  The Baltics are sheltered form the worst of the Westerly rainfall by the Norwegian Mountains.  I have sailed the Baltics in early/mid June and the weather was variable the first day in St Petersburg was quite warm and sunny, the following day was cool with persistent rain.  Just to let you know, the tulips at Peterhof were only just coming into bloom, suggesting that Spring is much later than the UK. 

We sailed end of June begining of July to the Baltics this year and the weather was very good we have been there 3 times now on a cruise at roughly the same time and in general had good weather, it is one of our favourite areas to cruise.