Sign in to follow this  
angel

Smoking on P&O

Smoking certainly blighted our cruise last month on Arcadia.  We  had two smokers in the next cabin.  We tried to ignore it at the beginning of the cruise, saying to ourselves, they are allowed to do it, we must not get upset.  However as the holiday progressed it seemed that every time we went on our balcony, got ourselves settled to read or enjoy the sunshine, out they came and lit up.  We eventually abandoned trying to sit on the balcony and went to either the promenade deck or the sun deck.  So our balcony was actually a waste of money.  We have had outside cabins without balconies for some time, but we wanted a balcony this time for a 17 day cruise.  After a stressful couple of years when we have been unable to take holidays, this was a long anticipated time to relax.  Might I add we thoroughly enjoyed the cruise and this small blip was the only down side.  I am pleased that after April next year we can look forward to using a balcony without problems.

Why would that be? are they different to non-smokers? I think as long as they cater a place for people who wish to smoke there shouldn't be any problems.

Yes completely  different to non smokers, burning good money for a stinking un social habit that leads to health problems, standing outside in all weathers just to have a drag and then throwing the butts away as litter. I have owned  a few pubs and night clubs in the past and guess how long a refurbishment of carpets and seating lasts before cigarette burns appear? Less then 24 hours.

As regard to smoking and cruising if ships are going to allow smoking they should provide a contained smoking room. Also next time your on board ask your steward about smokers placing plastic bags over the smoke sensors in their cabin.

Ron, you would be amazed at the amount of the anti smoking brigade that buy duty free cigarettes from the shops onboard cruise ships.

Twimo thanks for someone sensible I have been in the queue behind these people, actually telling me they don't smoke but are getting them for family member's at home because they are cheaper.

a good idea from the safety aspect i too have seen people toss cigarettes off balconies. but facilities need to be made for smokers. We are non smokers but cruised in princess a few times and took my sister-a long time smoker who has always cruised with P&O. She was impressed with the facilities on princess-a  smoking room and dedicated area on deck with tea and coffee always available . She said it made her feel as if she was welcome as a smoker. 

Shirley T

In your response you say "........after April next year we can look forward to using a balcony without problems."  

John Milward

you say ".......but ban being gradually introduced on a ship by ship basis in 2014." 

Has P & O made an official announcement or is a ban just hype?

Guest shilly3191

*Please note - As of March 2014, smoking will no longer be permitted on balconies. 
This policy will come into affect as of the following cruises:

Ventura - N407/A - 26 March 2014
Azura - A407 - 4 April 2014
Oceana  - E406 - 5 April 2014
Arcadia - J402 - 13 April 2014
Oriana - X408 - 18 April 2014
Aurora - R402 - 24 April 2014
Adonia - D402 - 29 April 2014

It's a problem for the cruise lines as they want to retain their customer base but also want to please everyone. I think the day will come in the near future when all cruise lines ban smoking all together. Smokers are in the vast minority and that minority is getting smaller every year. Therefore business sense says they will ban smoking as they do not wish to offend the majority. Yes I am an ex smoker who gave up 13 years ago and feel all the better for it. When I was smoking I made every excuse under the sun to have a cigarette but have since learned the errors of my ways in that my health is a lot better now. I now wonder how people can afford to smoke when 20 a day costs over £2,000 a year. That's more than my gas, electric, water, car tax and insurance a year.

I wholly agree with the last post. Our most recent cruise on Azura in July was spoiled by having a cabin immediately aft of a pair of chain smokers. The smell on our balcony was awful, and as they were out there most of the time, we just couldn't use the balcony we'd paid the premium for.

I was delighted to hear this change of policy soon after our return - maybe they do take the questionnaires seriously!

How about this for a solution, as the ship normally steams forward place all the smoking balcony cabins at the rear of the ship and all the non smoking ones at the front thereby any one who was upwind would never smell the smoke as it would be behind them Simples

How about this for a solution, as the ship normally steams forward place all the smoking balcony cabins at the rear of the ship and all the non smoking ones at the front thereby any one who was upwind would never smell the smoke as it would be behind them Simples

Or create a smoking room out of one of the funnels

Guest shilly3191

A lot of suites are at the aft of ships and a lot of non smokers prefer cabins at aft so dont think that will work

Guest Solent Richard

Yes completely  different to non smokers, burning good money for a stinking un social habit that leads to health problems, standing outside in all weathers just to have a drag and then throwing the butts away as litter. I have owned  a few pubs and night clubs in the past and guess how long a refurbishment of carpets and seating lasts before cigarette burns appear? Less then 24 hours.

As regard to smoking and cruising if ships are going to allow smoking they should provide a contained smoking room. Also next time your on board ask your steward about smokers placing plastic bags over the smoke sensors in their cabin.

We could afford to make our restaurant non-smoking well before the ban was introduced.(we didn't open on Sundays and Mondays)

It never did trade any harm and the non-smokers appreciated it all the more.

Well Don another unworkable idea comes forth. Just take way the freedom of choice from the non smokers in terms of cabin positions. Just how would the charges be adjusted then, what about those cruisers who actually like having a stern facing balcony, what about the passengers who don't actually want to experience any additional swell and movement up The front end. What about those with impaired movement and who wish to be close to lifts etc. what about the port days when the ship is stationary. Here is an idea .... If you don't like the rules don't go on the ship. And to use your own phrase..... SIMPLES.

Smoking does stir up many emotions
I have never smoked.
My wife somked for 30 years until COPD made her finish.
We both understand the problems.
Smoking is an addiction, it can not be turned on and off at will.
Smoking on balconies is a fire risk.
We have had two cruises since she stopped, they had a
smokeroom/bar we kept out.
People with vapour cigs hanging round their necks, I can not stand.
Buts whats wrong will a norman E-cig?
It looks like a cigarette, NO smoke, NO fumes, NO addiction,
NO PROBLEM

Just returned from a cruise on Ventura.  Left our balcony for approx. 15 mins  and returned to find a cigarette end had burnt a large hole in a towel over a chair and was burning a hole in the chair when we put it out and reported the incident.    It then came to light that cigarette ends had landed on other balconies around ours, one of which was alight and the smell of smoke had alerted the guests in the cabin.  As on other ships, smokers were specifically requested not to throw cigarette ends over balconies at the lifeboat drill.  NO SMOKING ON BALCONIES IS LONG OVERDUE.