Sign in to follow this  
angel

Smoking on P&O

Just returned from a cruise on Ventura.  Left our balcony for approx. 15 mins  and returned to find a cigarette end had burnt a large hole in a towel over a chair and was burning a hole in the chair when we put it out and reported the incident.    It then came to light that cigarette ends had landed on other balconies around ours, one of which was alight and the smell of smoke had alerted the guests in the cabin.  As on other ships, smokers were specifically requested not to throw cigarette ends over balconies at the lifeboat drill.  NO SMOKING ON BALCONIES IS LONG OVERDUE.

What a very dangerous situation ,also potentially life threatening ,I would have been very worried on that cruise !

We cruise on Aurora twice a year and have a balcony. It seems as though the smokers follow us around as we always have either a cigar or pipe smoker on one side or the other. This mean we have to shut balcony door every time they have a smoke. We are therefore glad of the ban.

Hiya,

Please excuse my ignorance…. What is the difference between an e-cig and a vapour one. I thought they were both the same thing. 

Hi,

Only a non smoker would think that!

..........."How about this for a solution, as the ship normally steams forward place all the smoking balcony cabins at the rear of the ship and all the non smoking ones at the front thereby any one who was upwind would never smell the smoke as it would be behind them Simples".................

That's an excellent idea The Don, .  

I just spoke to a friend of mine who usually cruises and they have said that they won't be doing anymore as they can no longer smoke on their balcony…. seems a bit extreme to me…

They said they could easily have just imposed a smoking ban between certain hours of the day i.e. 9am til 5pm - or something like that. 

It will be interesting to know if they do loose revenue over this…

Hiya,

Please excuse my ignorance…. What is the difference between an e-cig and a vapour one. I thought they were both the same thing. 

Me too TPP.

Hi,

Only a non smoker would think that!

Hi X-man

What IS the difference? Like TPP, I too thought they were one and the same.

cheers

Harvey

I just spoke to a friend of mine who usually cruises and they have said that they won't be doing anymore as they can no longer smoke on their balcony…. seems a bit extreme to me…

They said they could easily have just imposed a smoking ban between certain hours of the day i.e. 9am til 5pm - or something like that. 

It will be interesting to know if they do loose revenue over this…

Surely it's easier to up smoking than give up cruising!!!!  :rolleyes:

cheers

Harvey

What does everyone think to portside balconies for smoking and starboard for not??? or vise versa

I don't think it's a good idea at all. I like the Portside and I don't want to be surrounded by smoke.

I don't think that they will change the ruling at least for one season - if then. I do feel sorry for those that had booked prior to the new ruling coming in though..

An extract from the P&O website:-

"

Smoking On Balconies

*Please note - As of March 2014, smoking will no longer be permitted on balconies. 

This policy will come into effect as of the following cruises:

Ventura - N407/A - 26 March 2014

Azura - A407 - 4 April 2014

Oceana  - E406 - 5 April 2014

Arcadia - J402 - 13 April 2014

Oriana - X408 - 18 April 2014

Aurora - R402 - 24 April 2014

Adonia - D402 - 29 April 2014"

See link:- https://ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/fleet/posmoking1

cheers

Harvey

Thanks Harvey,

I was just saying, with all the suggestions that people are coming up with, that I cannot see P & O taking on board any of them at least until one season i.e. 2014/15 has cruised If then even if all the smokers complain about it. Once these things have been changed it is very rare that they go back to how things were.

Thanks Harvey,

I was just saying, with all the suggestions that people are coming up with, that I cannot see P & O taking on board any of them at least until one season i.e. 2014/15 has cruised If then even if all the smokers complain about it. Once these things have been changed it is very rare that they go back to how things were.

I quite agree TPP. Once the rule is IN I too very much doubt it will be rescinded.

cheers

Harvey

PS  I do sympathise with smokers who did book a balcony for the purpose of shortening their lives as it must be quite disappointing. It will be interesting to hear if any 'balcony' smoker will cancel.

I did hear of people doing so (cancelling) and a couple that I sometimes cruise with say that they aren't doing anymore. I did suggest that they went on one of the ships with a tiered back, where smoking is allowed, and get a cabin in that area but they didn't like the idea of that  which seems a bit silly to me. 

I did hear of people doing so (cancelling) and a couple that I sometimes cruise with say that they aren't doing anymore. I did suggest that they went on one of the ships with a tiered back, where smoking is allowed, and get a cabin in that area but they didn't like the idea of that  which seems a bit silly to me. 

Oh dear. The trials and tribulations of being a smoker. What a shame. ;)

cheers

Harvey

PS   I agree - it does seem a silly decision. Better to stop smoking than stop cruising. ;)

As one of the most hardened anti smoking people it is possible to meet I fully endorse a ban on smoking in balcony cabins. We always have a balcony as we enjoy the privacy when required. Last cruise on Ventura couple weeks ago, we had smoker next door who was not too bad but Inreally dont want somebody else's smoke in my space. Agree with previous comments regards sale of cigarettes on board, absolutely ridiculous. I would never buy cigarettes or tobacco for anyone else. Bring on the ban.